Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 12:09   #1

CAL 39 dinghy

In the process of getting a CAL 39 ready for blue water. Looking at dinghy options. I am leaning towards a hard dink. Wondering about stowing during passages with a hard or RIB. I am curious as to what others with CAL 39's have and where they keep them. Thanks.
Papakina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 01:51   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: CAL 39 dinghy

Have you given any thought to the idea of a Nesting Dinghy, stowed between the mast & the companionway hatch? I don't know how much room, exactly, there is on a Cal 39 for such (but am curious).
You might have a look at thehttp://http://ptwatercraft.com/ptwatercraft/PT11Home.html PT 11. Russell's a good guy, and builds & designs quality stuff. And I've seen one of these firsthand, nice boat.
If you've got the deck space in the locale where I mentioned, the "Spear" version might fit, which would likely be an even nicer option. Particularly as it'd be easier to fit a floatation collar to the whole boat in one piece, if one were inclined to add one.

How much room exactly do you have? Knowing that would make it a bit easier to assist with your conundrum. That & perhaps a picture of your cabin top.

Also, somewhere around here there's a thread where someone's inquiring after the pros & cons of stowing a dinghy on the foredeck, although, at the moment, I can find it.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 01:00   #3

I don't own a 39 but I've been studying them for a couple of years because they are on my short list. One of the few common owner complaints seems to be that there isn't really a good place to stow a dinghy. Lately I've been thinking that if I end up with a cal 39 w/o a dinghy, I'd get a Porta Bote. I've been hearing great things from people who own them. They fold down narrow and nearly flat on deck. They are light and fast and require a smaller outboard. And they are reasonably priced.

What year is your Cal and where do plan on taking her?
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 22:56   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I also forgot to mention: The Immortal CHAMELEON by Danny Green, which is 10'4" OAL. And the slightly bigger NESTER. Plans for both of which can be found online.
And it's a guess, but by looking at some of the drawings of a Cal 39, it looks as if there's 10-11' between the mast & the main hatch. Which leaves enough room for a dink on the cabin top. Although one might have to move the traveler.
Not at all a deal breaker for me, but...
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, dinghy