Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2011, 06:04   #1

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Cal 35

I've been searching for a small affordable cruiser for myself and fiancee in the 34-38 ft.range.I think I found one in a Cal 35.She's roomy, has a good turn of speed, and is made well.I've been searching various places trying to gather as much information as I can about the boat before making the final plunge.What reviews I've seen so far are favorable.I used to have a link to a website on my pc that gave ratio information on boats...i.e, comfort, capsize, etc.I lost the link when I had a hard drive failure on my pc. If anyone knows of such a site, or has information they can share concerning the Cal 35, I would really appreciate it.

If I take the wings of the morning,and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me,and thy right hand shall hold me.
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 08:05   #2

Re: Cal 35

Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 08:48   #3

Thanks RainDog! The link you provided is the one I use to have.

If I take the wings of the morning,and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me,and thy right hand shall hold me.
Old 22-07-2011, 13:10   #4

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Which Cal 35 is this? They probably made 3 or 4 very different boats in that size range over the years. Mine is a 1974 Cal Cruising 35 which I am very happy with.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 05:08   #5

Hi Seafarer,

The only information I have on the boat that I'm considering purchasing is that she's a 1984 Cal 35.I've seen one boat review on the Cal 35 by someone on the "Sailnet" site. The review was very favorable.From what I've read, the Cal build quality is very good, with a hand laid up FP hull and cored deck.If I'm looking at the correct boat, the PHRF rating for her is a respectable 165.The interior looks very comfortable and the boat seems like it could easily be handled by two.How do you use your boat? Coastal cruising, or further? Have you found any weaknesses in her? Would you feel comfortable taking her across the pond? Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Old 25-07-2011, 16:23   #6

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Our boats are not the same designs, and have very different measurements so I can't make any comparisons regarding performance.

My boat is well built and has traveled extensively with a few previous owners before I bought it in a "mild" state of neglect and attempted repair. One of the first people I ever had work on the boat knew it by sight. He was/is a cruiser and had seen it all over the East Coast, Bahamas, and both sides of FL. He recalled riding out a gale in a protected anchorage and seeing this boat sail in under just the staysail (cutter rig). I plan to spend five years sailing it around the world (leaving 2014) and the suitability of the boat is the least of my concerns.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 00:45   #7

very nice, I think...
carball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 05:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Wow! Great to see you back aboard, Stede.
Hope thinks are going well for you.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 05:08   #9

Seafarer: Your comments support what information I've obtained concerning the build quality of the Cals. I believe the Cal 35 I'm looking at is a Cal MKII. I have no concrete evidence of that other than the fact that she's a 1984 boat.Other Cal 35's I've seen that are similar to her and of the same year carried the MKII marking.

Carball: Thanks for your comments.Presently I have two boats. If I buy the Cal 35, I'll be three boats poor! ha!ha!

GordMay: Than you for your warm welcome back ole friend.I'm happy to see that you're still here contributing to the world of sailing.Since I was here last, so many things happened to me that I felt like I had been pulled through a bulkhead knothole backwards, tossed in the bilge, and flushed out to sea! ha!ha! But they say "that what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." It must be true because I finally floated to the surface, swam against the tide, and here I am.For the first time in a very long time, I feel like all the elements are falling in place that will enable me to take off and cruise, or to at least work/ live aboard initially.I'm closing on selling my house Aug.17th to my youngest son. It's the last material thing holding me to the sand crab lifestyle.Where one portal in my life closed, a new one has opened.My sails are full, it's a bright crisp morning,and the seas are calling me.As I begin this new course in my life, I hope I can count on you and others to help steer me along.I'm sure I'll have many questions as I adjust to the "dolce vita." (sweet life)

Cheers!
Stede

Old 01-08-2011, 20:23   #10

I have just bought a cal 35 mk2 and though I have no input either way on it, I have ran into trouble installing the rudder and was wondering if you could send me a picture of the assembly under the cockpitÉ
josh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 09:56   #11

Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85

I bought a Cal 35 Mk II - 1984 - in April and am redoing the boat right now. I have renewed the Headliner and Vinyl at windows (all these have issues there) and redid the Quarter Berth. I plan to sail her to the South Pacific by way of Mexico in 2 years. Any help I can give or any info I can get is appreciated. There is little info on the net - brocures, diagrams, etc...

Rick
Capt'n Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 15:36   #12

Josh 123, and rickusc. Do your Cal 35's have the 6 ft.draft? If so, what do you think about having a some what deeper draft? I know there are some pros, and cons just like pretty much everything. I remember sailing on a Beneteau 38 in the Bahamas. She drew 5' 11". There were several anchorages that we had to wait until high tide to get into. To anyone reading this, what do you think of a 6 ft.draft for coastal cruising the U.S., Keys,Bahamas, Caribbean, and beyond?

Old 18-08-2011, 21:18   #13

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"

I owned a sister boat, Fiddlers Green, to the one you are looking at for several years in the late 90s. She was a Mexico vet. I sold her to my brother and delivered her to the Bay Area from Portland OR. The first three days of that trip along the Oregon coast were nasty to say the least. Two crew became very sea sick, and we decided to seek relief in Coos Bay. When we were about 8 hours out I was able to raise the Coast Guard in Charleston to get a Bar Condition Report and was informed that Bar was closed due to sea conditions. They advised us that conditions were moderating and to continue to port and contact them again when we had visual contact with the coast. This we did and they sent a boat out to guide us in saying they needed the practice since they had a new boat. The ride over that was an adrenalin rush of first magnitude.

Fiddlers Green made the entire trip in fine Fashion. She is sturdy, and a pleasure to sail, and is still seen on SF Bay being enjoyed by my brother and his wife. If the boat you are looking at has been taken care of I'd say go for it.

Hglad
hglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 21:26   #14

Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede View Post
Josh 123, and rickusc. Do your Cal 35's have the 6 ft.draft? If so, what do you think about having a some what deeper draft? I know there are some pros, and cons just like pretty much everything. I remember sailing on a Beneteau 38 in the Bahamas. She drew 5' 11". There were several anchorages that we had to wait until high tide to get into. To anyone reading this, what do you think of a 6 ft.draft for coastal cruising the U.S., Keys,Bahamas, Caribbean, and beyond?
My Cal 35 has a 6 ft draft. I am in SoCal so there is no problem with that here... In the Pacific you don't see shallow draft keels like where you are...
Capt'n Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 13:52   #15

I just purchased a 1984 cal 35 and had a few questions...

1) Does anybody know good replacement for the fuel tank. Currently there is a 33 gal aluminum tank. Looking to replace with plastic but am unsure of the dimensions to find a replacement that will fit.

2) Need to replace the pressure cap on the heat exchanger. Anyone know a good replacement?

3) And lastly, need to replace a few thru-hulls that are cracked... anyone know the correct size for replacement?

thank you
stacin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal