Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 08:38   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Cal 2-29, Hunter 30, Ericson 29, O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjitis View Post
... Then checked out a nice Cal 2-29, needed new standing rigging, new sails, and another couple inches of headroom Im 6'1" and i had to slouch big time. ...
Benjitis, when you find something with headroom, do you mind posting it here, even if you don't buy that particular boat?

I am a few inches taller than you, and it is tough to find the specs on headroom on boats, especially ones in what appears to be both yours and mine target market.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 16:19   #17

Sure, no problem. I wish there was a chart with the head room for each make/model of boat. There will be when im done shopping
Benjitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 16:43   #18
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

our cal 28 is a nice little pocket cruiser, and a good candidate for a live aboard. Because of the clever layout it has more interior space than boats up into the 35/36 range.

It's also a boat where you get a lot of bang for the buck because the flush deck (one of the things that make it so spacious) is not viewed as fashionable ; -) so foot for foot and buck for buck you get a lot for your dollar. We picked ours up for 2500 in sailable shape, but rough and needing cosmetics.

We seriously looked at an erickson 30 and really liked it, and it seemed to have a lot of head room, but the one we were considering was pretty neglected... so we passed when we found our cal.

Good luck. If you wind up in SF bay drop me a line, happy to help with the hunt ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 02:21   #19

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Benjitis, when you find something with headroom, do you mind posting it here, even if you don't buy that particular boat?

I am a few inches taller than you, and it is tough to find the specs on headroom on boats, especially ones in what appears to be both yours and mine target market.
I'm 6'5". I don't have a boat but looking at getting something around 30'. I've been in a Catalina 30 and realized there wasn't much room. Like you, I thought getting a larger boat would be good. Then, I thought about it and figured that if I'm going to be IN the boat, I'm not likely going to be standing unless for going from one spot to another. That could be something to think about. I've heard it before on the forums that if you want to stand, go up on the deck.

Good luck in your search.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 19:50   #20

Boat: Mapleleaf50

This is for Benjitis
Let me start by saying I am 6'3" and own a Cal 2-29. You would not be disappointed with this boat...at all! I read that you had a few crouching issues with the one you viewed...what parts?
Cals are alot of bang for the buck, sail great and are very comfortable. However a 10k Cal will be just that! A 10k piece of vanilla! Alot of these boats are just borderline maintained and when they are put on the market it's because people are moving up or don't want to invest in an older boat. Mind you this hold true for alot of boats.
We are going to move up in the near future and when we decide to sell our boat, I will miss it. I have spent alot of effort keeping it in good order and ready to sail anytime. It won't hit the market for 10k but the market will only bear what the next buyer will pay!
If you want any advice about Cal's please don't hesitate to ask.
More than happy to help.

Cheers,
Kevin
bosn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 23:24   #21

the cal-2-29 i looked at was nice, my uncle was pushing for it since he owns a cal 2-27 I had to crouch through the entire cabin, only place i could stand straight up was in the head under the vent/skylight. if it didnt need new sails and standing rigging id definately consider. I found a Shock 35' for sale in Seattle for 15000 without a mast. Not sure what happened yet, but he said no damage. Found another Shock in Michigan for sale that also had no mast. Wondering why the Shocks end up mastless?? Heard the 35' has plenty of room inside, width and height.
Benjitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:17   #22

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Who disagrees with this? Money that a previous owner invested in repairs and TLC, if done well, is always cheaper than the same money you'll invest yourself.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:57   #23

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I wasn't clear on whether or not you are still considering the Hunter. I have a Hunter 30, (1989) which I've cruised to the Bahamas a few times. Overall I've been happy with it. A few things that might concern me about using it as a liveaboard:

1. V-berth very awkward to get in and out of (high)
2. Back berth has poor ventilation.
3. It's hard for 2 people to get past each other.
4. It's hard to get around the table to use use the port side settee or access things stored above it.
5. Many of the through-hulls are under the back bunk making access hard and requiring elbow which are more prone to clogging. Also, Hunter used plywood backing plates which are prone to rot.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00   #24

Boat: Hunter Marine, Hunter 28.5
I regret buying my Hunter... It's a comfy boat but others are "reportedly" much more seaworthy. Sailing in fair weather is fantastic but I think I'm gonna stash some spare undies in case we ever see weather.

Asking prices are close to book but they actually sell for 1/3-1/2 regardless of condition... Bristol condition might fetch 70-80% and that's with accumulated gear like electronics, ground tackle, spare sails... If going with hunter marine Run the book value without extras and plan to pay avg 60%... I have only tracked hunters.

My biggest surprise... The floor in the cabin... Was a bit soft due to worn out stuffing box and sitting for years... I'm thinking maybe a Hundy or two... Driscoll quoted me $2200. Point is, prepurchase inspection up front and don't rush your purchase.

Mine is 1985 Hunter Marine 28.5.

I thought it was a steal paying 9 while book was about 16500... I have about 22 in her now 8\ ... And still about 7 away from going anywhere but a sunset cruise!

Most of the expense has been labor in san Diego avg $100/Hr... If you have help or can do yourself is much much more manageable.

S/V Joyen's Dream
SuddenVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 14:52   #25

Boat: 1978 30ft Hunter Sloop-Isabelle Reign
I have a 1978 30ft hunter and I love it. I live aboard most of the year unless I'm at work which is on a ship. I can single hand her and she's built like a tank. They didn't know how much fiberglass to use back then so the hull is thick. I have some friends that own newer ones and they aren't quite built as well. If you know how to maintain the boat and the engine then it's not bad. I also only paid 5200 for mine though since I know the previous owner from work.
JColdren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 21:28   #26

I have an Oday 28 that I am fixing up and going to sell. I would not recommend it for you .. Head room 5'11", and really no good berth for you .. except perhaps the v berth with the insert. It is a good boat, but not for a liveaboard. Just my humble opinion.
dustiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:43   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kevin (bosn181).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:25   #28

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

A few simple tips for evaluating the quality of a boat.

-How are the lifeline stanchion bases installed? Worst way is with sheet metal screws into fiberglass. If you see that, you know the builder was cutting every corner on construction cost that they could find and you will eventually find all the other corners cut. Next you will see many with machine screws but only backed inside with some flat washers (fender washers if you're lucky). This is a little better than the sheet metal screws, but not much. Finally, you might see a boat with machine screws passing through the deck in an area reinforced with more glass or wood glassed in, then through a metal backing plate, with flat washers and lock washers or "nilock" nuts. The installation of life line bases is very labor intensive, and how it is done is an indication of how much time the builder was willing to put in to make a good boat.

- If you see any through hull fittings with gate valves, either the builder or someone along the way was making very poor choices of hardware. Gate valves should send shivers up your spine.

- Can you actually put a tool on the pick up fitting of every single tank on board? Builders love to just hide a tank in someplace and then glass it in, perhaps leaving some tiny mouse hole that you can shine a flashlight through to see it. Someday, you will need to get at that tank fitting, and all the money you saved on a cheaper boat goes right out the hatches.

-Put your head in the engine space and look around. Imagine yourself changing the oil & filter. Or tightening a dripping stuffing box. How hard will it be to install a new shift cable? Many of the boats you will look at in that size will have an engine stuffed into some small space below the companionway or under the cockpit, and with older boats, you will be spending time in there. I've seen boats that would need major surgery just to remove the alternator.

None of those are necessarily a deal breaker, but some of the brands you mentioned were known to be built to a price point (O'Day comes to mind), and quality was sacrificed to meet the numbers. You will be shocked at some of the obstacles builders created to maintenance, but until you've done a bunch of it, those obstacles won't be obvious to the novice.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:00   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Some excellent tips, doug86. Thanks.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:47   #30

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

It really is hard to find a less than 30 boat with enough headroom. I used to be 6'1" before I got old and had to crouch in most that I sailed. I'd recommend for living space that you find a Newport 30. For seaworthiness I'd find a Columbia 29. If you can find a West Sail 32 in your price range it would be a good fit below but more than likely at that price will be a fixer.
kind regards,

Tags
cal, cal 29, ericson