Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2009, 09:00   #1

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
Cabo Rico 38 Questions

What is the length overall assuming a stock boat with no davits? Trying to determine what slip size is needed.
How well do they sail to windward?
Are the decks balsa cored?
Thanks.
Old 22-07-2009, 09:45   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Mine was measured by the marina at 41' 6" this was from the bow light to the stearn light, and later 2' was added for the monitor wind vane. But in a double finger 45' slip I was charged for 45'.
Yes I could drop a rail in the water and sail to windward at about 40 to 45 degrees apparant wind, but why?
My 1981 Cabo Rico 38 has a balsa cored deck as well as balsa cored cabin top. The hulls balsa core was 2" squares of balsa dipped in resin and hand placed.
John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 11:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You can go here and compare boats by the numbers:

Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2000+ boats

The numbers may tell you something by comparing our Gozzard 36 to the Cabo Rico 38 they come out pretty close to the same so I would agree with John. We have a 6 ft bow sprit so we measure 42 without davits but since we have them it's more like 46 ft. and I own a 39 ft slip but I borrow a neighbors 45 ft slip (they are without a boat). In a 39 ft slip the bow hangs over the dock when the stern cleats are tied perpendicular to the outer pylons. In a floating slip I would be fine. For a non floating slip and a nominal 3 ft tide I really need the 45 ft slip given we can get another 2 ft of surge in a nor'easter. A tight fitting slip is not storm friendly.

I suspect we do similar to John going to windward since we both share the same opinion and similar numbers. It's not something you go out and do just because you can. The rail in the water is not comfortable for us and while we may do it for short periods after a while the pain of being struck with a winch handle by the Admiral levels the boat quite quickly as we fall off the wind.

The only issue with cored decks is that unless they were laid properly they exhibit problems caused by a poor construction job or marginal materials. Better hand built boats have had them for many many years. I doubt John could find a bad spot on their boat. Ours are 18 years old with no problems what so ever. An older boat with problems in a cored deck is easy for an average surveyor to find and tell you. They automatically check on any boat they survey. Minor stuff is fixable.

There are many boats that could fit into similar numbers as a Cobo Rico 38. They all tend to haul a lot of stuff are comfortable to be on sailing or at anchor in most any weather. They look great and have nice features made into the design that you don't appreciate until you spend time on the boat in quiet and far away places.

You take these same boats on a reach with 25 plus knots and you fly in comfort and stay dry doing it. Yes the 45 and 50 ft boats are faster.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabo rico