Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2021, 02:18   #1

Cabin ventilation ???

Hello,

Does anyone know how ventilation is done on such boats. (X-Yacht x4.0 and Solaris 37).

Both are recent 38 footers, but with strictly NOT a single dorade, NOT a single air extractor visible on the deck. And they do not have aircon.

Do they use mechanical ventilation (Where does the power come from ? Do they need to be permanently plugged at the marina ?) , or they are simply without any ventilation when hatches and portlights are all closed ???

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent2-1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	245867   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent-1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	245868  

fc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 03:29   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Cabin ventilation ???

Most boats are poorly ventilated when closed. On our old boat I installed a solar fan and it made a great difference. New boat will get one too.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 06:09   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Even some 80's's boats are poorly ventilated. I looked at an 1985-ish Nelson-Marek 454 not long ago, and it had moisture issues in the aft cabin from sitting closed too long with no ventilation. My current boat has 4 dorades, and one solar fan going when closed up. I also added/replaced two prism lights with small opening portlights, and replaced two forward facing fixed portlights with opening ones...should be a huge change in airflow when they are open.
Old 24-09-2021, 13:45   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For those who haven't thought of it, you can make hatch dodgers, using either the pram hood concept or dorade, and leave the hatches open in light to medium rain and it lets in plenty of air, without having to cut holes in the deck.

Ann
Old 25-09-2021, 08:55   #5

Thanks, but my question was more on how do high end builders solve the issue, rather than how to ameliorate ventilation.

An older (high end) Swan 38 had 3 huge dorade box on the deck for ventilation.
An x-yacht X4.0, modern high end, about same length (38 ft), and surprisingly similar displacement and ballast, have nothing visible on the deck.

So, how ventilation is done nowadays on such kind of sailboats ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vent3.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	245922  
Old 25-09-2021, 10:27   #6

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Higher end yachts, especially those made for racing primarily, aren't going to be focused on having lots of ventilation while sitting at anchor.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 10:47   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Dorade vents need to be physically large to function well. As noted, modern cruising boats are tending to forgo these options.

Ventilation and avoiding condensation are complex issues, but increased insulation, protected companion way openings, and canvas covers have gradually replaced dorade vents on many cruising yachts.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 11:07   #8

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc59 View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know how ventilation is done on such boats. (X-Yacht x4.0 and Solaris 37).

Both are recent 38 footers, but with strictly NOT a single dorade, NOT a single air extractor visible on the deck. And they do not have aircon.

Do they use mechanical ventilation (Where does the power come from ? Do they need to be permanently plugged at the marina ?) , or they are simply without any ventilation when hatches and portlights are all closed ???

Thanks.
These boats have opening hatches. With the hatches open you have ventilation. For periods of rain you will need cover. We have small awnings.

For periods when you plan to leave the boat you may want to install solar vents. I don't think the manufacturer has made a plan for you on that.

We have installed 12v fans, several of them. They do not take much power at all and in tropical weather we run them 24x7. Near an open hatch is better but not required.

When it is really hot and humid, and we are at a dock, we run an airconditioner and close the hatches. The fans are still important.

BTW, there arew two ventilation objectives. For circulation to prevent mildew, dorades and solar vents help. To keep onself cool you need big hatches facing the right way or FANS.
Old 25-09-2021, 12:03   #9

Interestingly, since you were specific to X-Yachts, if you go to their website, Dorade vents are available on many of their yachts. That said, your point is valid on boats of all eras. My 2017 “modern” boat has a small, protected vent in the cabin top that can be left open even in rain. It is marginally effective for moving air. There are port lights that open into the cockpit, and since we have canvas dodger, Bimini, and connector, they can be left open in most conditions unless wind and rain/spray are significant. Lastly, the two large cabin top hatches have a locking “hold-open” notch that raise the hatch about 1.5”. It keeps light rain out, but again, wind and driven water would be an issue. And like others state, at anchor when it’s hot, you resort to wind scoops and open (protected) companionway.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 00:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Higher end yachts, especially those made for racing primarily, aren't going to be focused on having lots of ventilation while sitting at anchor.
The sailboats on images in first post are not really racing. They are over 18000lbs, for less than 38'. It is about 50% heavier than a j/121, which is 2' longer.

They are new version of cruiser/racer half a century ago. Not really good for racing, not really good for cruising.
But do cruise better than a racing boat.
And do race better than a cruising boat...
Old 27-09-2021, 01:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Interestingly, since you were specific to X-Yachts, if you go to their website, Dorade vents are available on many of their yachts.
It does not seem.

On the current range in production today :

Xc50 and Xc45, remains of older cruising range launched circa 2011 do have dorade vents.

Xp50 and Xp 44, older performance range launched circa 2011 do not have dorade. (or visible vents).

Current range X launched 2016 (x4.0,x4.3,x4.6,x4.9,x5.6) do not have any visible vent on the deck.

And the suppression of visible vents also concern other builders. Solaris yacht, nothing visible on the deck. Nautor Swan also. Grand Soleil too, even what they call the Long Cruise line.

Manufacturer image of bigger Grand Soleil 42LC. Their smallest in the cruising range... , and Solaris 40, their current smallest. The Solaris 37 , image in the first post, has ended production a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vent2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	245965   Click image for larger version

Name:	vents4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	245966  

Old 27-09-2021, 01:45   #12

Note My question is only on the smaller range.

Because, likely over 45'-50', when there is enough space and allowable weight to have a genset, all high end boats have a full HVAC system, and so, do not need any vent on the deck.
Old 27-09-2021, 04:40   #13

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Note My question is only on the smaller range.

Because, likely over 45'-50', when there is enough space and allowable weight to have a genset, all high end boats have a full HVAC system, and so, do not need any vent on the deck.

In my mind, HVAC doesn't replace the need for ventilation. Just because a boat has HVAC doesn't mean the design should force you to run it all the time.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 09:36   #14

Quote:
It does not seem.

On the current range in production today :

Xc50 and Xc45, remains of older cruising range launched circa 2011 do have dorade vents.

Xp50 and Xp 44, older performance range launched circa 2011 do not have dorade. (or visible vents).

Current range X launched 2016 (x4.0,x4.3,x4.6,x4.9,x5.6) do not have any visible vent on the deck.
You are absolutely correct. My knowledge of X-Yachts has always followed the “cruising” range - as I have long liked those boats. I failed to look more specifically at the range you referenced. Humble apologies.

Again, your concern is valid for many boats of all ages. It would seem that except for design specific “cruising boats”, designers assume fair sunny weather and wide open hatches and companionways!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 11:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
In my mind, HVAC doesn't replace the need for ventilation. Just because a boat has HVAC doesn't mean the design should force you to run it all the time.
On a boat with HVAC, you can stop the HVAC and open portlights and hatches if weather allows it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post

It would seem that except for design specific “cruising boats”, designers assume fair sunny weather and wide open hatches and companionways!
On bigger boats (say above 45' -50') genset and climate control unit can give correct ventilation whatever the weather. These units are just pricey and need space, but compared to boat size and price, it is negligible.

The issue is only on smaller sailboats.

So my question is still how are vented higher end sailboats in 38'-42' length, without cruisair, dometic or similar, too small to have a genset, and without anything visible on deck ?

Tags
cabin