Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 10:47   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: C&C27 rigging question - strange pulley location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12 View Post
ah okay.. i do remember seeing an internal line going into the mast which was part wire. Never paid too much attention as to where it was tied off but i know it wasn't connected to anything. Maybe a previous owner tied the main sail to the jib or spinnaker line which ran through that block in the photo and i followed the same steps when i put the sail back on?
How did it look on the sea trial before your purchase?
Any mention in the rigging survey?

I'm just kidding...your boat likely cost less than $10k (maybe much less) and I would feel confident buying/sailing one without a survey, so long as the hull and through hull fittings were sound. BTW, they were originally made with gate valves on the through hulls, which are no good. Hopefully they have been replaced by ball valves. If not, you may have trouble getting insured. Also, a piece of unsolicited advice, check the cockpit drain hoses below the cockpit. They need to be in perfect condition with double hose clamps on both ends, or you might.....sink.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:12   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
How did it look on the sea trial before your purchase?
Any mention in the rigging survey?

I'm just kidding...your boat likely cost less than $10k (maybe much less) and I would feel confident buying/sailing one without a survey, so long as the hull and through hull fittings were sound. BTW, they were originally made with gate valves on the through hulls, which are no good. Hopefully they have been replaced by ball valves. If not, you may have trouble getting insured. Also, a piece of unsolicited advice, check the cockpit drain hoses below the cockpit. They need to be in perfect condition with double hose clamps on both ends, or you might.....sink.
One of the good things for those of us that own boats which cost less than $10k is that we don't really need to get full coverage insurance just liability which in most cases is around $10.00/month

As far as the cockpit drain hoses, definitely take a look at those. Mine must be similar as they are a straight shot from the cockpit thru the hull to the sea. If the hose breaks, you have a problem.

The PO on mine replaced his though just before his farewell cruise to the Bahamas .........humm, that was 11 years ago though. They may need a reinspect
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 20:58   #18

Thanks so much for all the great info - yes.. the original survey.. You are correct and the boat was purchased for much less than 10k tho I am still able to receive full coverage on my insurance which is $350 a year. My plan is to climb the mast however I am unsure of how to rig a second line to my harness? I can of course use the line running to the main sail but what would be used as a backup?
jc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 18:12   #19

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

Well I guess you know the Previous Owner rigged the main on the Spinnaker hoist rather than climb the mast and retrieve the main halyard. You could use the Genoa halyard as the main hoist and the line to the spinnaker block as backup, and retrieve the main halyard. Some one suggested dropping the mast and doing it right....good advice. I never saw the top casting on the 27 but the shivs on our 29 did not have oilite bearings from the factory. We took them out and retrofitted the bearings, replaced the shivs since they were fitted with wire tracks. We went to high tech halyards and canned the wire as it without the bearings had a tendency to jump the grove and jam in the casting. (We couldn't convince Mom to take a trip to the top with a screwdriver to correct the problem, the younger members of the crew had a tendency to drop the screwdriver thereby causing a mass exodus by the deckhands). While the mast is down, check the spreader fittings and the overall rig. Mast replacement is greater cost than the boat is worth, just so you understand. We fitted topmast lights (anchor, running, steaming, strob and deck) all with led etc. Check the mast step and pillow block ( I think yours steps through the deck and on a piece of oak that has a tendency to rot with water down the inside of the mast, maybe not. Check the furler assembly at the top to make sure you get a good hoist such that it does not bind. The new main and genoa halyards are internal to the mast and the cost of high tech lines are worth it. All said and done sit back and tip a Molson or Labatts and thank George Hinterhoeller for building a quality product.
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 19:40   #20

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12 View Post
... My plan is to climb the mast however I am unsure of how to rig a second line to my harness? I can of course use the line running to the main sail but what would be used as a backup?
The attachment for that spinnaker halyard may not be strong enough to hold a person's weight. The jib halyard is much safer, though you can't really inspect it's condition without climbing up the mast. Usually you use the main halyard and the jib halyard as your line and safety line. You're kind of in a catch-22 situation. Might be best to hire a rigger who has a lot more experience in evaluating what is safe and what is not.

Or you could raft up to another sailboat with known-good halyard and use that as a safety line.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 21:27   #21

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
C&C27 rigging question - strange pulley location

The halyards are internal and we're/are wire rope combo. If you change to all rope then you need to change the sheaves as the originals are stepped for the wire and rope halyard.
Drop the mast, drill out the 8 pop rivets and check the shelve bearings. If your going to change to all rope halyards you'll need to do this any way.

You can't raise the main on the spinnaker halyards which is what you are trying to do now. If you continue then you'll just break the sail slugs.

Tags
rigging