Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 12:10   #1

Boat: L 34
C&C 40 Suitability for Ocean Cruising?

Hi Guys, I'm keen to buy a 1981 C&C 40 for ocean cruising. Any comments on the suitability of this boat would be welcome. Thanks
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:02   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Yes!!!, why not, i own a 33 c&c for some years in the past, excelent boat, sail fantastic, just find a very very good good surveyor, and be sure that in this particular boat the hull , keel and deck are sound, lots of core construction, if the hull is dry and sound you have a excellent boat for many years, c&c are champions in the past in core construction, for me is a wonderfull boat to sail. Enjoy it.... Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:12   #3

Boat: Lord Nelson 41 S/V Fair Wind
Send a message via AIM to MJWEENZ
C&C Boats

I had a C&C 32 several years ago and it was a great boat. Much better built than comparable Catalina’s, Hunters, O’Days, Benateaus, etc. As Neil said get a good surveyor as the boat hull is cored, but C&C did it right. You might look up Joli. He has a bigger C&C and is very knowledgeable!
Mike
s/v Fairwind
MJWEENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:38   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
C&C put great hatches and ports on their boats!

We get many repairs from people with a C&C that are 30+ years old and are still great boats. The boat manufacturers used to hold quality over price reduction, the hardware is all serviceable and built to last.
Old 04-03-2010, 13:31   #5
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
Hi Guys, I'm keen to buy a 1981 C&C 40 for ocean cruising. Any comments on the suitability of this boat would be welcome. Thanks

Almost any boat is suitable with the right fitout. But having learned to sail on a C&C-36, C&Cs wouldn't be my choice for a cruiser due to comfort motion. Just too much heel with the go fast design. I came across a nice looking C&C on-line the other day. Had a great layout inside and I'm sure it is fast at sea and comfortable in port. But one look at that pointy helm seat told me the story on what it would be like on the water long term.

So just comes down to the ride that you will like overall.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:14   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 50 DS
C & C built some really good boats. I had a 32, 35 III and a 40. The forty was raced successfully and was a comfortable boat, and yes, dry. But one of its charactertistcs is it had a tendency to hobby horse, hence, not a great ocean yacht. With a roundish bottom and relatively short waterline in today's standards, there are better choices. Pricewise, it is a lot of boat.
DeWittcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:26   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJWEENZ View Post
I had a C&C 32 several years ago and it was a great boat. Much better built than comparable Catalina’s, Hunters, O’Days, Benateaus, etc. As Neil said get a good surveyor as the boat hull is cored, but C&C did it right. You might look up Joli. He has a bigger C&C and is very knowledgeable!
Mike
s/v Fairwind
Now why would you go and say something like that.. You must have some sort of degree in boat building and have di-sected hundreds of boat to come up with a remark like that.. or you're just blowing smoke........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:53   #8

Me? What did I say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Now why would you go and say something like that.. You must have some sort of degree in boat building and have di-sected hundreds of boat to come up with a remark like that.. or you're just blowing smoke........
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:20   #9

Boat: L 34
Next Question, ; Where would I start looking for a used windvane,; Monitor, Aries or Fleming at a reasonable price. I am from South Africa and when I come to fetch my boat will not have too much time to shop around. Al leads welcome. Kevin.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 13:13   #10

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
Next Question, ; Where would I start looking for a used windvane,; Monitor, Aries or Fleming at a reasonable price. I am from South Africa and when I come to fetch my boat will not have too much time to shop around. Al leads welcome. Kevin.
Ebay,
Classifieds in this site
ssca.org classifieds

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 16:54   #11

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
SSCA is too much of a secret society for me.
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 17:06   #12

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiii View Post
SSCA is too much of a secret society for me.
Yea, they have that secret public discussion board open to anyone.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 17:20   #13

Boat: John Norris C-Breeze 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to britskip
Re: C&C 40 Suitability for Ocean Cruising?

woah, its been a while since I made contact. so busy. after making several suitability enquiries I eventually bought a 50' Samson C-Breeze out of Auckland. I'm changing the name which was Celeste Rose , not sure what to. I got her in June and brought her down to Napier where she has been on the hardstand since. Some blistering on the hull, ended up as a hull strip down, some voids and soft areas being replaced, and a complete covering of epoxy fairing applied. I am about to paint the hull soon. I also had the cockpit completely repaired and its ready for a coat of paint. hoping to go into the water in next two weeks. been a major really, feel a bit taken for a ride by the broker, cost me an arm and a leg, but hey, i've got a nearly new boat. next thing is the masts, both main and mizzen had rot, replacing them both with ally I think. any other owners out there want to make contact please feel free. be afew years b4 we set off fo the big blue but the boats a start eh.
britskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 17:22   #14

Boat: John Norris C-Breeze 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to britskip

sorry, thought i was on a general open chat there, S
britskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:48   #15

Boat: Ericson 34

Hi from the West Indies ! What have you purchased ? Are you happy with your decision ? Thanks for answering
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c