Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 16:10   #1

C&C 38 as a Cruiser ?

Anyone have any thoughts as to how a C&C 38 would make as a cruiser? I have heard they can be trouble downwind in larger seas and lack proper tankage? Also wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to the overall construction quality of C&C? Are they up to water sailing">blue water sailing? Any thoughts would be great.
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 16:27   #2

By the way I dont think it is the Landfall 38 C&C. But maybe thoughts on both would be nice as well.
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 18:07   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I don't if the 37 and the 38 are very different but I sailed a lot last year with a friend who owns a 1980ish C&C 37. It was a lot of fun to sail, really responsive and fast but in heavy winds and rough water I'd prefer to be in something heavier. I also felt it wouldn't be comfortable for longer voyages. Low coamings and a small companionway were other things I didn't like so much.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 18:29   #4

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
No experience on the boats, but the C&C's by reputation are more racer than cruiser. I think they'd be fine for weekenders or coastal cruising. IMO, I wouldn't consider it a bluewater boat in it's standard configuration.

Suitably refit though, could be another story: C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center
Old 09-11-2010, 19:32   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

C&C 38 =racer.
Landfall 38 = express cruiser.

Some web research should confirm if the only differences are in the rigging and the tankage, if the hulls are the same. Even if the only difference is the rigging...that can be an expensive conversion for a single-handed cruiser. Some of the owners groups should be able to give you a fast answer.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 21:17   #6

Boat: C&C 38 Infinity
I've owned an early C&C 38 for 4 years on SF bay and have found the boat to be my ideal cruiser. I haven't experienced difficulties downwind in large following seas that I expected from reading the forums about C&C's The boat loves heavy air and feels like it is on rails yet moves right along in light air. The book" Ken's Cruising Yacht" by Ken Hellewell details the mods needed for off shore work and is a worthwhile read especialy if your seriously interested in the C&C 38 as he sailed his around the world as did the previous owner of that boat.
eightknots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:04   #7

Boat: Rhodes 32
Teak Caprail

It is easy to tell between the 38 racer and 38 Landfall cruiser.
The Landfall 38 has a teak cap rail.
She is a real nice cruiser.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 14:23   #8

c & c 38- cruiser

I've owned a C & C 38 for about 7 years.(and it's for sale) The hull is the same for the Handfall and 38 (were talking about a 70's boat here). I talked to a previous owner from newfoundand about the windows and seaworthyness. He raced it and traveled about 10,000 miles. It has a lot to do with the sailor. For a beginner it's going to be a handful. For a more experienced sailor no problem. We've taken the boat from CT to Maine to Nova Scotia and return. For extended cruising I'd add a flex tank in the bow.Basic water tanks are 60 gal plus added 38 flex tank. Limited fuel tank of 20 gal which is about 175 to 200 mile range - Add 4 jerrys and you've doulbed the range. No control problems downwind- unless you're flying a spin in 25 knots. It has a lot to do if you're going to cruise conservatively or go around the horn.
saltysailor100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 11:53   #9

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: C&C 38 as a Cruiser ?

I spent two years cursing the US east coast and Caribbean aboard Sundowner, now i live part time aboard in the summer in New England.
For offshore sailing here are my thoughts:
Tracking is bad, but Monitor windvane handles this light displacement racing hull quite well going downwind. I brought her back up from Puerto Rico to RI solo in two 14 day legs. The only time I went behind the helm was to get in and out the slip. The rest of the time I had autohelm 4000 or Monitor do the steering. I had following winds 90% of the time.
Monitor did quite well, especially in heavy seas and high winds. The important thing is to have a balanced sail plan. Every boat is different and for going offshore, you need to learn how to balance her before you can rely on any kind of autosteering. This boat is very responsive, it turns on a dime, and if not balanced, it will broach faster then any other cruiser. For instance in 30+kts of following winds, she sailed stable with tripple reefed main and no head sail at all. Under that in 20-30kts of following winds, a small jib about 75% with pole did the trick for me.
Fuel tankage is a problem if you motor, but this is a fast sailing boat. I used a total of about 20 gallons of gas for the 2400NM trip from PR to RI. (I have atomic 4). I had 6 jerry cans of gasoline aboard for cursing the Bahamas.
Water tankage is also small. I solved this by building high output watermaker so I could refill my water supply weekly.
The most difficult point of sail for me was broad reach in swells, especially in light winds where monitor can't do the steering and Autohelm motor got too hot. Puffs will overpower the sailplan and she'll round up in swell. I am usually forced to lower the main, loose some speed, in the interest of stability and comfort.
For coastal cruising, its a different story. She is great especially for going upwind. Heading down east coast with prevailing SW, she did very well. I found myself to outpoint the rest of the cruisers and match up quite well with racers. My buddies would motorsail and yet only beat me by few hours during small daytime island hopping passages, while I was only under sail.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c