Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 19:19   #1

Boat: 1978 Philbrooks Fast Passage 39
C&C 35 mk2 cutter rig?

Hello all,

I am looking at a C&C 35 mk2 (1974) with a few modifications, most notably an inner forestay with furler and 90% headsail. The main forestay with furler has a 150 genoa. Tacking requires winding in the genoa to clear the inner stay.

It also has a marinized VW diesel (I am very familiar with these in automotive applications) with dual alternators, partly I believe to power a watermaker.

I am considering viewing the boat (I've seen it at the dock only), but am wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are for the modified rig, given the boat is already pretty fast, and should perform well in light air.

Thanks
sgwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 20:03   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: C&C 35 mk2 cutter rig?

It’s a Solent rig. Very popular with the large cruising sloops, mostly 40’ and up. This way you have a working rig with normal weight cloth sails and a lighter weight cloth Genoa without the complication of a nylon reacher. I’ve seen many such rigs on the newer long distance cruisers. It adds flexibility and precludes a sail change. Also able to furl quickly in a squall and revert to your working headsail.
It is a modification to your standard rig so it behooves you to check the installation very carefully.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:58   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

You might be interested in some C&C 35 Reviews:

By John Kretschmer ➥ C&C 35

By Jack Hornor ➥ https://www.spinsheet.com/boat-revie...ed-boat-review

Brochure ➥ C&C 35 MKII

C&C owners group ➥ C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:22   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

People who plan l o n g t a c k s seem to like cutter rigs.
Is the inner forestay fixed, or removable? If you plan short cruises or need to go upwind much, tacking with the inner forestay in place would be a big hassle. If it's on a highfield lever or similar arrangement, you can set it up when it's needed and remove it form the foredeck when it's not. How is the inner forestay deck fitting reinforced below deck? If there's a strut or wire cutting through the v-berth that you planned to share with your main squeeze, it could impact your relationship negatively. Does the inner jib also have a r/f, or does it hank on? If it hanks on and you only fly it when the wind pipes up, you'll have to go forward to set it - when the wind pipes up. (You could leave it handed on and secured with sail ties, but you'd still need to free & hoist it.) Are there enough winches to sheet both jibs at once (cutter style) or is only one jib flown at a time? Lots of questions!! If the answers work for you, the C&C 35 is a nice boat. (Though the MkII is slower than the MkI.)
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 13:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
It’s a Solent rig. Very popular with the large cruising sloops, mostly 40’ and up. This way you have a working rig with normal weight cloth sails and a lighter weight cloth Genoa without the complication of a nylon reacher. I’ve seen many such rigs on the newer long distance cruisers. It adds flexibility and precludes a sail change. Also able to furl quickly in a squall and revert to your working headsail.
It is a modification to your standard rig so it behooves you to check the installation very carefully.
Thanks for the info. I read up on Solent rigs and am more informed now. If I do look at the boat, I will check the install carefully.
Old 03-01-2019, 13:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
People who plan l o n g t a c k s seem to like cutter rigs.
Is the inner forestay fixed, or removable? If you plan short cruises or need to go upwind much, tacking with the inner forestay in place would be a big hassle. If it's on a highfield lever or similar arrangement, you can set it up when it's needed and remove it form the foredeck when it's not. How is the inner forestay deck fitting reinforced below deck? If there's a strut or wire cutting through the v-berth that you planned to share with your main squeeze, it could impact your relationship negatively. Does the inner jib also have a r/f, or does it hank on? If it hanks on and you only fly it when the wind pipes up, you'll have to go forward to set it - when the wind pipes up. (You could leave it handed on and secured with sail ties, but you'd still need to free & hoist it.) Are there enough winches to sheet both jibs at once (cutter style) or is only one jib flown at a time? Lots of questions!! If the answers work for you, the C&C 35 is a nice boat. (Though the MkII is slower than the MkI.)
The inner stay also has a r/f, so it is meant as a Solent rig (as I now know

The current owner has only had it 2 years, and I think all the mods were done by the PO, including a solid, but not very attractive aluminum dodger. I will certainly inspect things carefully if I decide to take a closer look. At the moment a newer CS30 is near the top of my list, so the C&C is a possible fallback.
Old 03-01-2019, 13:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You might be interested in some C&C 35 Reviews:

By John Kretschmer ➥ C&C 35

By Jack Hornor ➥ https://www.spinsheet.com/boat-revie...ed-boat-review

Brochure ➥ C&C 35 MKII

C&C owners group ➥ C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center
Thanks for this; I had seen the reviews, but not the brochure with comparisons between MK1 & 2
Old 04-01-2019, 21:10   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Not sure what the intent was for the inner forestay.
I had s c&c 38 with a removable forestay for use with a storm jib. It was set up for long distance offshore racing. If the forestay was properly installed there should be a cable or rod from the point under the deck where the forestay is attached to a strong point in the Hull. The decks were never designed to take that load unassisted.
What sails are supplied with the boat? What was it intended for?
I only needed that storm sail twice in 12 years but was really glad to have it when I needed it.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 22:03   #9

Boat: endurance 35 cutter

I have an endurance 35 cutter, hank on sails , if stay sail is up gen is easy to tack as it flows around staysail then tack staysail, don't see why roller furling would change that, however I am a novice sailor and never dealt with roller furling, I single hand my boat and find tacking no problem. I love the cutter rig if the wind picks up I drop head sail and use reefed main and staysail , I realize we are talking apples oranges here, if so some one tell me why roller furling would be different, assuming staysail is set,
wanabe sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 22:26   #10

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

OK, we own a 1974 C&C 35 MKII, and while it's not horrible in light air, it's not a performer either. The diff between the MKI and MKII from a sailing perspective is they changed the shape of the rudder and fin and a more modern balance and fin style... and added almost 3000lbs to the boat with the upgrades and ballast.

Our's is weighing in at about 14K lbs... and it strong winds it's fun. In light winds we toss out a drifter with pole'd out clew. A lot of the more modern boats are the same LOA and LWL but 2-3K lbs lighter. Also, check out the space below the cockpit sole... it really tight height-wise. Anyone working in there needs to spry and (ideally) small. ;^)

With the cutter design you could fly two foresails... but this boat tacks really fast. If I had to furl the genoa on every tack, I would be irritated. Just my two cents.
Old 04-01-2019, 22:34   #11

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Also, if the boat has been raced (Likely, it's what they were built for) *check the mast step*!!

I asked our surveyor to check it and he kept saying it was fine, but he never really looked. We found out later our cast aluminum mast step was cracked in half and the wood below was compressed and needed to be removed and repaired. That was a $4-5K mistake.

My recommendation.... get a good surveyor that knows old boats that have raced. ;^)

Tags
cutter