Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 20:13   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
C-30 Pedestal question

I have a 1981 C-30 with Universal 5411. I would like to move my throttle controls from the port cockpit bulkhead to the pedestal. However I am reading that because the transmission is reversed on the 5411 we can not use the pedestal mount. Does anyone have experience with type of setup on a 5411? Or does anyone have a suggestion on where I can find a good throttle setup. My current one has froze up.
Old 09-03-2016, 20:28   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: C-30 Pedestal question

Lots of options, but you will probably have to re-route your shifter cable in the engine room (which you will probably be doing moving to the pedestal anyway). The 5411 comes default with the HBW-5 or HBW-10. The shift lever on the transmission can be rotated on its shaft to match incoming cable position, if you rotate it 180 (presuming you have room around other items) you reverse the shift direction.

Another option is to reverse the cable orientation. If your cable currently comes from the bow, re-route to come from the stern. You will need to move the bracket that holds the cable tip, but that is not too hard.

And sometimes you can just mount the lever backwards in the pedestal, depends on what the inside of the pedestal looks like.

So, several ways to reverse the direction a shift lever in the cockpit needs to move, just depends on what space you have and where. No magic, just see where you can most easily rotate things 180.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 21:54   #3

Boat: Catalina 30

You have given me hope. My cables run from the current controller in the cockpit, forward to the engine under the seater. When you say rotate 180 degrees do you mean the transmission shift on the transmission?
Lpbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 22:08   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

Yes, that is probably the easiest solution if there is room. The shift lever in the tranny should be secured to the tranny shaft with a couple of screws. It is definitely adjustable to accommodate different cable positions, whether you have room for a full 180 depends on what's around it.

Say that right now pushing the tranny shift lever forward puts you in forward gear. If you rotate it 180 then pushing forward will rotate the shaft in the opposite direction, putting you in reverse.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pedestal