Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2019, 11:12   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Buying THIS rotten fisher 46 for refit to cruise high latitudes?

Pretty sure that is a Ford Sabre engine, although Perkins took over Sabre so they then marinised Perkins blocks. The good news is there are tens of thousands of trucks using these Dorset and Dover blocks otherwise known as 2725E I think. They came in a range of hp for many years.

https://everythingaboutboats.org/sabre/

I had the Mermaid 4 cyl Dover version which ranged from 80hp non turbo in tractor form to 200hp with turbo and intercooler. Bit agricultural and emissions well lets not talk about them, but it came home at 15 knots on three cylinders after one trip when a HP fuel line fractured.

Great engine for going off piste as they can be stripped with a box of spanners anywhere.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old spice getting some air.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	203252   Click image for larger version

Name:	mmmm diesel.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	203254  

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 11:25   #32

I would ask this guy:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...al-117538.html
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 12:08   #33

Boat: Fisher 34

I bought a 1985 Fisher 34 in the Pacific Northwest US about 7 years ago. Paid $60K and probably added $100K on top of that. I am trying to return it to 'like new' condition and am gradually getting there. I spent alot on cruising (dream) gear, liferaft, anchors, electronic upgrades, new batteries, sail, rigging, engine maint., canvas, varnishing, and on and on. Also as I am a professional mariner my 'need' for safety is probably a bit over the top, based on my conversations with most yachters I hang out with. I spent an unexpected chunk of money on basic outfitting, (lifejackets, cooking, bedding, tools, hardware, spare parts, emer. gear, etc.) as the previous owner stripped it of everything for his new boat. Hopefully the 46 one has the gear.

I see that most responses say double the purchase price and you have the total cost for a practical refit. I think that is good advice.

The only thing I had to do when I got it was have the rudder pulled due to some water logging and that was a quick, not expensive job done by the yard. I have done all the rest of the work myself (except changing out the engine injectors) so saved alot of money on labor. When I bought the boat in the PNW it had been in the Gulf of Mexico originally and so the AC unit had been pulled and replaced with the Wallas heater, an electric 110V wall heater, a engine water heater for the wheelhouse and a Dickenson propane heater. Plenty of heat now!

The previous owner had installed good equipment and took pretty good care of it. The pictures of yours looks like mostly surface stains which should not be a problem, the basic structure of the hulls and interiors is quite good. Watch out for the condition of the engine, shaft seal area, bonding and other accessories, that's what sneaks up on you! I had leaky windows, but was able to fix them fairly easy. Based on other Fisher's I know, changing out the salon and wheelhouse windows may be needed if you can't stop leaks, but not difficult if you have the tools and do some research. I changed the 3 hatches on deck, hardest part was finding ones that fit the original cutouts (Dutch). Check out the seal between the wheelhouse and deck structure, might need some 5200 in there.

I love the boat and enjoy working on it as it is my main hobby these days. Not a fast sailer (3-4 knots in a 10-15 knot wind), but stable as a brick shed house. I gotten her up to 6 knots in a 25+ knot wind and she heels over to about 20 degrees and holds. I am fairly confident the sailing rig would collapse or the sails blow out before she went over on beams end. As she is pretty stiff (low center of gravity) so has small angles of heel, that means short rolls rather quickly in a swell (or waves, large wakes), which can be uncomfortable for some. Tie everything down!

It's great to have a warm, shaded wheelhouse and has a skylight so you can watch the sails when inside. The aft cockpit is OK for sailing (it has seats high on the aft gunwales so you can steer with the tiller and see over the wheelhouse) when the weather is nice. Four can sit comfortably for socializing. It's like a little ship as the seller noted. She does about 7 knots motoring and I do that probably about 75% of the time when I'm trying to get somewhere, sometimes in the motorsail mode.

Hope your search turns out well.

Good Luck!
Darius34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 12:36   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I've always admired the Fishers. The seller sounds honest about the condition not being up to snuff and price is negotiable. The only way you will know is hop a plane. Other wise
you're just beating yourself up and wasting the sellers time.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 14:14   #35

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Have come into this thread late and have only read the first of three pages, but if you decide not to go for the Fisher you may want to look at and Nauticat. Also a very strong build and similar to the Fisher.
At least one Nauticat for sale recently on the West Coast US and several for sale in Europe.

Al, SV/Finlandia
Old 17-11-2019, 14:29   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibetitsthisway View Post
Hi Guys,

some may know - we are looking for a ship with very high comfort "in the waves" for going to the high north. I would go for a steel ship, but I LOVE those fishers by their looks and layout.

46 is rare - very rare. Now there is one for sale which seems to be on an extremely bad shape. I usually would say everybody should run from it - but it is the only one out there.

- despite the price - which would be to "negotiate" - would anyone here dare to buy and refit such a boat?

anyone with experience in refit or best - fisher refit?

It's in Rio Dulce for a reason - no one wants it hanging around their marinas. If you don't have $200k sitting in the bank someplace - that's what it will take (conservatively) to repair, replace and get her going again.

After the first bergie bit touches you - she won't survive in the high Arctic long.

As much as I like wood boats, I like the ease of repairing steel even more.
Old 17-11-2019, 14:48   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

5:50 minutes in, steelie for sale up north somewhere

Old 17-11-2019, 15:07   #38

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider421 View Post
It's in Rio Dulce for a reason - no one wants it hanging around their marinas. If you don't have $200k sitting in the bank someplace - that's what it will take (conservatively) to repair, replace and get her going again.

After the first bergie bit touches you - she won't survive in the high Arctic long.

As much as I like wood boats, I like the ease of repairing steel even more.
Ahh captn, you do realise that the fisher is in fact an overbuilt fibreglass boat don't you?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 17:26   #39

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Hi Guys,

some may know - we are looking for a ship with very high comfort "in the waves" for going to the high north. I would go for a steel ship, but I LOVE those fishers by their looks and layout.

46 is rare - very rare. Now there is one for sale which seems to be on an extremely bad shape. I usually would say everybody should run from it - but it is the only one out there.

- despite the price - which would be to "negotiate" - would anyone here dare to buy and refit such a boat?

it it worthwhile?

I am falling for it, but I am afraid to by expensive camp fire material.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/photographs/77756

Sounds more like somebody's floating condo than a boat that's done any recent sailing. You're probably looking at 100 grand to get her up to snuff assuming the hull, decks and bulkheads are in good shape. Just seems like a lot of money for a boat that'll be pushing fifty years old by the time you get it fixed up.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 22:16   #40

Quote:
Hi Guys,

it it worthwhile?

I am falling for it, but I am afraid to by expensive camp fire material.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/photographs/77756

Time enough? Money too spent? Price to be negotiate ?
Do it.

Amazing motorsailer. 46 is rare model!
Check Fisnher owners rebuilt issues at
Www.fisherclub.nl etc.
Different kind of models been restored by enthousiast owners.
More Fisher stories can be found on the internet.

Buy it cheap, rebuilt it for more!
Every Fisher faces leaks 😁.

Perry
F34 owner
Holland
bocasami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 23:17   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
We don't know what you mean by "high latitudes," but please do not plan to take a plastic boat into the ice, no matter how "well-built" it is. Any water-logged cored areas will freeze and delaminate (if they haven't done so already). Striking ice while underway risks cracking your hull, and a single, small, unseen crack in an inaccessible area of the hull can sink your boat. You need an ice-classed vessel to spend time in high latitudes.
you are 100% right..but I dont wanna hear that

Apart from that - I am brainstorming about taking on this project. (and go into the ice with another boat)
Thanks a lot for all your valuable insights and thoughts! Especially for the surveyor contact and the refit project links. I will proceed with a survey having done, check transport cost to europe and then decide what to do.
It is attractive - but I dont think I can supervise any refit work on the boat done in guatemala, while sitting here in europe.
Old 18-11-2019, 01:30   #42

Boat: Deerberg Beryll, Hartley 39

We are sailors, and we are dreamers. But there are two categories of us: mostly dreamers and mostly cruisers.

The former ones have deep inside a reluctance to sail into the sunset, and take all the risk associate with it. That's why their list is getting bigger and bigger and always a little above their possibilities - time and money - it is the perfect excuse not to leave.

The latter ones just untie the mooring ropes and go. Problems will appear, no doubt, with a new or an old boat. Being a skipper means not to be able to trim the sails, but solve all the issues that appear.

There is no perfect boat, and if you make a list with what you need to go to higher latitudes, chances are that you never leave the quay - new engine, new sails and new electronics? Why? The engine can be evaluated pretty accurate, and a handful of spares and some tools can solve most of the issues on the spot. The sails look ok, with some good second hand spares from thick dacron you should make it to the next harbor. And it is a ketch, that means more flexibility in the size and shape of the sails than a sloop. Raymarine C80 is pretty solid, and works with a new radome and an AIS unit. Of course there are 1000 other small things to do, replacing the cushions, a new layer of varnish and so on, but every cruiser has them and usually the rate of solving them is equal to the rate new ones appear.

Just decide which category you belong and the answer to your dilemma will pop out like a rabbit from the hat.
calin1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 05:33   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How about this one?

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...dard%20listing

Or another Ali:

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...nced%20listing

Way better condition and nearer to home.

Pete
Old 18-11-2019, 08:16   #44

Nice boat!

Sale pending......

2nd ones ph is to small
Old 18-11-2019, 08:19   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Those are both damn nice boats - good finds.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, cruise, fish, Fisher, grass, refit, rot