Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 09:52   #31

Re: Buying sailboat without a broker

Look at this web page:
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection

It will help you a lot and save you money!

Good luck in finding a boat you need.
Sasha47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:40   #32

Re: Weather in Bahamas no data

Hi

I am about to buy a Garmin Inreach to be ablle to get weather while cruising in the Bahamas without data link on my phone or Ipad. I do not need the map since I have 2 GPS on the boat so the Garmin mini would best fit. Any other solution other then Bahamas Phone service?
Diantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:45   #33

Boat: Nonsuch 354

This is a pretty good source for your pre-purchase survey. It might be helpful as you begin your search for the perfect boat.

https://www.amazon.com/Surveying-Fib...1104542&sr=8-1
Old 07-02-2020, 11:49   #34

First. Where are you located? I say this because if you are on the west coat, Latitude 38 magazine is very valuable. I have bought and sold a number of yachts both with and without a Broker. If on the East coast, I usually use a broker. Especially it buying. It costs you nothing shop around and find a GOOD broker. Some that “clicks” with you and your needs. I recently sold a Tartan 38. Had a great broker, earned his keep. Both buyer and seller happy. On west coast usually don’t use a broker. Latitude 38 has great classified ads and broker ads too. Find your deal. On the selling end, have had excellent luck with Lat. 38.
Happy hunting and remember, its a buyers market. Bargain hard in a polite courteous manner and you will do well.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:24   #35

Boat: Islander 36

Lots of good advice on here. One thing I would like clarified is the order of the survey. Do you survey before making an offer, or after? It seems several people on here are doing surveys prior to an offer. That seems like an invitation to paying for lots of survey fees if sellers are not reasonable.

Here is the order I envision for my next purchase (a major one):

1. Do my own preliminary inspection which will rule out a lot of obvious lemons.

2. Make an offer, with a deposit to go into escrow and contingencies for (1) survey; and (2) sea trial. If I am not happy with either, in my "sole discretion" I can terminate contract and get my deposit back. I am not putting money into escrow based on any "reasonableness" standard or on anyone's else's view of materiality of defects. This is how we generally buy real estate in California (without the sea trial, of course!).

If I have the ability to terminate contract in my discretion, then I have the ability to renegotiate price. I am not going to nickel and dime a seller if I like the boat and the price we have negotiated, but if there are significant problems uncovered in the survey, you bet I am going to pay less, or walk. So the survey is a second bite at the apple.

If you get the survey without having an price agreed, you should be OK with paying the asking price, or you may be out the cost of the survey with no boat to show for it. I understand the value of the survey for a large purchase, but it is something I would hope to do only once (per purchase!).

I am interested if others on here disagree on this procedure. My experience is limited. I have only bought one boat in my life. I was pretty green and probably overpaid for it, but it served me well through several years, thousands of miles and one Atlantic crossing, so I didn't do too badly. Overall, I feel that I got lucky, but am not willing to trust my luck next time.

Tags
boat, buying, sail, sailboat