Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2014, 12:55   #1

Buying a yacht in Bulgaria…?

Hi guys!
Long time viewer, first time poster! We're looking at buying a Bavaria from Bulgaria, and just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this? I see it's listed as a safe country, just to be aware as with visiting any country. What are the seas like? She's not an girl, not done too many trips, but she's always had a captain looking after her (as opposed to just sitting and rotting). Done a few trips to Greece, 2 to Turkey.

Also, we want to cruise blue water style, and we have to bring this yacht back from Bulgaria to New Zealand. Long trip for first time blue water sailors, but we'd be bringing along someone else I think to help. That or we can have her delivered/shipped, but I hear both methods are very expensive?

(Just a note: my husband owned a P38 before we met, and sailed her around and did a lot of work with and to her, so he's not a foreigner to boats. Neither of us have done anything international though)
OriginalKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 13:02   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Buying a yacht in Bulgaria…?

What model of Bavaria and what year of built, if I can ask?
Regarding the country You should not expect specific problems, outside:
exscessive and lowly competent bureaucracy;
lack of reliable services for a boat.

Happily Turkey is close to and it is great place to refit a boat.
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 15:11   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Original Kiwi,

All of us who sail to other countries have first ocean passages. We learn more as we go, if we pay attention. Jim and I first sailed coastally before sailing from California to Hawaii to see if we liked ocean passages. Obviously, between Bulgaria and Turkey, there will be some time to gain experience.

Ann
Old 20-02-2014, 20:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
What model of Bavaria and what year of built, if I can ask?
Regarding the country You should not expect specific problems, outside:
exscessive and lowly competent bureaucracy;
lack of reliable services for a boat.

Happily Turkey is close to and it is great place to refit a boat.
Thanks for that, we were wondering what we were going to do in regards to upgrading and adding in a few things (water maker, etc), and it's a Bavaria 50' Vision, 2009. I know there's a lot of argument between whether they're Water boats">blue water boats, etc, and Ive come to the conclusion that it's a mix of the gear you customise, and your own sailing skill/interest/ability.

And thanks Ann that's encouraging! Hubby's probably planning to sail it back with another guy or two, one a friend, and one whose an experienced sailor if we can get someone who wants to jump on board for free, and we'd probably fly them home on us.
Old 20-02-2014, 20:14   #5

just out of curiosity - what would rough time be to sail from Bulgaria to NZ??

We would go via cape of good hope, to avoid pirates in Suez canal. Too many close calls, scares, and kidnappings to risk it!
Old 20-02-2014, 23:21   #6

Boat: Baltic 38DP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalKiwi View Post
just out of curiosity - what would rough time be to sail from Bulgaria to NZ?? We would go via cape of good hope, to avoid pirates in Suez canal. Too many close calls, scares, and kidnappings to risk it!
A Vendee Globe sailor would do it in 40 days, most people in over a year, anything in between is possible. Hoe long is a piece of string?

Why do you plan to go around

I would, if I were you, take a serious amount of time to do research. Crossing over to another country is nothing compared to crossing an ocean. You need to rig your boat for serious weather and long passages. We are outfitting our boat for crossing the Bay of Biscay from the UK (600nm), and we have some serious kit. But for crossing the ocean we would still add more stuff, such as a watermaker and additional tankage.

The ARC guidelines give a very good indication of what you should think about, and I find www.morganscloud.com an invaluable resource.

Don't underestimate ocean crossings. What I consider absolutely necessary (bare minimum):

1. New rigging or x-rayed old rigging to ensure there are no weak points
2. Autopilot with backup. Best is to also have a windvane
3. EPIRB
4. Satphone
5. Liferaft (ISO-1 standard)
6. Reliable electronic navigation equipment + paper charts.
7. Radar + AIS
8. Watermaker + at least 100 liters of water tankage for each person on board. If no watermaker, increase your tankage.
9. Power sources to cover 150ah a day (depending on what equipment you use during the voyage). Have several sources so that if something fails you can still charge. Proper battery conditioner/charger. Inverter for 110/220V onboard.
10. Separate battery for starter motor. Additional spare battery not connected but charged.
11. Good quality sails. Back-up genoa and main. Downwind solution, if spinnaker also a back-up. Strong wind solution (we are installing a removeable forestay), for up to 9 BF. Gale/hurricane solution (minimum of 3 reefs in main, storm jib). Slab reefing in main and fully battened if at all possible.
12. Storage for at least 30 days of food and water (if planning a crossing of an expected 20 days)
13. Handheld GPS. Hand compass. Handheld VHF. Two pairs of binoculars.
14. Rig cutting equipment appropriate for your rig.
15. Emergency tiller. Know how to use it.
16. Spare rudder solution
17. Hull, rudder, keel inspection on-shore and confirmation of no weaknesses. No play in main rudder.
18. Clipping points and jack stays on deck. Need to be able to cope with high loads. Ensure short jackstays close to centre of the boat to prevent falling over leeside.
19. Engine needs to have a recent revision and be in excellent condition.
20. Spare alternator, belts, impellers, filters, oil
21. Proper toolset for repairs. Quality pocket knifes for all crew to carry at all times
22. Medical kit - PROPERLY kitted out for emergencies. Talk to a doctor before stocking.
23. Global insurance coverage for boat and medical
24. All paperwork in order concerning the purchase of the boat
25. Excellent footwear
26. 275N lifejackets and harnesses
27. 3-point lifelines so you can switch clipping points without being unattached
28. Excellent clothing for the worst and best of weather
29. Solution for weather forecasts offshore (SSB radio, grib files over sat phone etc)
30. Course in weather interpretation, and whatever you need to properly use the boat and its equipment (such as radar interpretation), navigation, and first aid. Best to also do an offshore survival course
31. Spare VHF antenna
32. Wooden bungs, epoxy to deal with a hole in the hull.
33. Electrical bilge pump.
34. Two hand bilge pumps, one operable from the cockpit
35. Spare hand bilge pump
36. Spare large capacity electrical bilge pump with hoses and 10m electrical wires to hook up to a battery, ready to go in an emergency.
37. Life buoys, slings, danbuoy, with lights, reflective tape, and whistle
38. Solution to go to the top of the mast at sea, needs to be safe (bosun chair on winch has large risk of falling to deck or next to the boat)
39. Spare lines and halyards
40. Quality winches - have them serviced
41. At least two heavy anchors and a kedge anchor, plus spare chain. Check main chain before setting off.
42. Alarm clock to ensure you keep awake during the night watch
43. Skills to sail the boat completely SOLO for at LEAST two people on board.
44. Inspection of hatch seals and companion way using a high pressure hose
45. Three fire extinguishers, fire blankets
46. Proper installation of gas fittings (not to Blugarian standard)
47. Gas cooker secured also when boat inverts.
48. Properly kitted out grab bag
49. Red flares, orange smoke, white flares
50. Set of marine flags, especially the Q flag for notifying customs

As for Bulgaria, I found it a friendly country.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 00:00   #7

Boat: Baltic 38DP

I forgot to finish a thought early in the post:

why do you plan to go around Cape of Good Hope? The route via the Panama Canal is about the same distance but you have many more downwind miles. You will also be sailing a lot lower latitude, it will be a lot colder sailing below Africa and Australia. It is also a more established route - more people cruising there that might be able to provide tips/lend a hand etc.

One more thought: the route is roughly 15,000 miles, so in a Bavaria 50 you should expect to need at least 2000 hours of sailing time, likely much more.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 03:56   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalKiwi View Post
Thanks for that, we were wondering what we were going to do in regards to upgrading and adding in a few things (water maker, etc), and it's a Bavaria 50' Vision, 2009. I know there's a lot of argument between whether they're blue water boats, etc, and Ive come to the conclusion that it's a mix of the gear you customise, and your own sailing skill/interest/ability.
Not much of argument there
If the price is low, You can upgrade the boat thoroughly and make her to be real bluewater cruiser if You wish. Turkey is best place to do it, probably.
Good luck with Your new boat

Bulgaria is beautiful, nice, friendly and welcoming country. Allow for some extra time there because of bureaucracy (they are normally taking their time), but You will not regret time spent there
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, yacht