Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2020, 09:24   #1

Boat: Bristol 31.1
Buying a boat on the hard - what to pay for, what to DIY

Our offer was just accepted on a used boat that has been on the hard for 3 years. The previous owner had bought it, sailed it for a season, and had it professionally winterized and wrapped, and then fell ill and died the following year. It has been sitting at a Brewer yard for the last 3 years, obviously cared for and watched over because it has been well preserved.
We will have some de-winterization to do before launching it and I plan to spend the next week or two getting it ready. I've done this many times before, so I am familiar with the systems involved. The mast will need to be stepped which require the yard to do, especially since it is keel-stepped. The fee they charge includes connecting the standing rigging but does not include installing mast wedges or "dock-tuning" the rig, which is billed separately.
I was thinking of tightening the rig myself, but my wife suggested we just pay to have it done when the mast is stepped, which I am inclined to agree with. Most everything else including getting the engine running I am fully capable of.

But is there anything else we should consider having the yard do? They have a launch checklist with related charges, and the cost adds up pretty quickly, so I'd rather avoid the stuff I can do myself. The plan is to bring acros the bay to our home marina where we can work on it at our leasure, or at least contract it out to our yard at much more reasonable prices.
gansett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, DIY, on the hard