Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2019, 10:08   #16

Boat: Tayana 37 PH
Re: Buying a Boat in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidu666 View Post
I'm just about to sign the papers for a vessel in

Mexico via a California based broker. Does anyone
know if above statements are still accurate?
This part for sure "Be scrupulously careful with Calif. boat purchases."
Also be careful with the boat TIP. It should be closed by previous owner and no other TIP's outstanding before you wire all funds to avoid problem with opening a new one.
Pay sales tax (called use tax) and you should be fine... But it is California.. You might want to monitor your purchase tax status for some time with the CA Board.
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 10:13   #17

It was suggested you can use this web site to look-up existing TIP
https://portalsat.plataforma.sat.gob...net/index.aspx

Also I remember it was web site to check TIP by boat haul number - don't remember where it was.

May be "serial number:" is haul number?
Old 15-08-2019, 10:18   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solosailor View Post
I could use a little advice around the purchase of U.S. registered boats in Mexico. What are the pit falls to watch out for? Is this a good idea or one to be avoid or not considered at all?
First you don't "buy a boat in Mexico".
That is important to understand, ALL of the paperwork happens outside of Mexico and no money changes hands in Mexico...it is an offshore sale/transfer.

Next is the TIP... You must make sure that a condition of the purchase is the current owner cancels the TIP.

Email me if you need help
Info@lapazcruiserssuppky.com
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 10:26   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
They also gave me the old Mexican import certificate and emailed me the site where I can change it to my name online and pay the fee for a 10 year permit. n
That's a disaster waiting to happen since the owner listed on the TIP is the one who has to cancel the TIP because one of the restrictions of a TIP is that the Boat can Not be sold!!!

So don't risk buying a boat in Mexico where the current owner will not take the Responsibility of canceling The TIP and filling out the paper work to check the Boat out of Mexico so you can then check it back in legally and get your new TIP
Old 15-08-2019, 10:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
That's a disaster waiting to happen since the owner listed on the TIP is the one who has to cancel the TIP because one of the restrictions of a TIP is that the Boat can Not be sold!!!

So don't risk buying a boat in Mexico where the current owner will not take the Responsibility of canceling The TIP and filling out the paper work to check the Boat out of Mexico so you can then check it back in legally and get your new TIP
Even for "private party" transfer I would suggest to employ one of well established brokers in Mexico to handle all paperwork process. At least what I planning to do. Little extra cost well worth a peace of mind.
Old 15-08-2019, 10:48   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
Even for "private party" transfer I would suggest to employ one of well established brokers in Mexico to handle all paperwork process. At least what I planning to do. Little extra cost well worth a peace of mind.
Absolutely!
The last thing you want is a Mexican Paperwork fiasco.
Old 15-08-2019, 10:58   #22

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
It was suggested you can use this web site to look-up existing TIP
https://portalsat.plataforma.sat.gob...net/index.aspx

Also I remember it was web site to check TIP by boat haul number - don't remember where it was.

May be "serial number:" is haul number?
This search will show any tip for a given HIN (Hull Identifation Number). That should be the number shown on the documentation certificate (not the US documentation number, the HIN). It will show the status, give the TIP permit number, and the passport or identification number of the person to whom it was registered. It does not show the person's name. Banjercito may be able to obtain further information about the permit holder.

If you enter an incorrect number it may show no search results. This does not indicate you are in the clear.

You will not be able to obtain a TIP if one already exists. It is quite difficult to cancel another person's TIP.

You will need a TIP in your name to enter the country, stay in a marina, or clear with a Port Captain. Do not buy a boat and sail off to Aus. leaving a TIP on file in someone else's name. A future owner may circumnavigate and run into trouble when they get to Mexico. This would be on you.
Old 15-08-2019, 11:11   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as for well established brokers in mexico, be careful. the one with 5 sites in maz and north is a bully without concern for his clients. many complaints are generated about him and he bullies hard. beware. the most prevalent issues are regarding t i p/ . some cases cost the new owner over 700 usd before resolution. one specific case sported 3 different and active t i p for one sailboat. beware. ye pays your money you takes your chances.
re research tip regulations.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 11:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
as for well established brokers in mexico, be careful. the one with 5 sites in maz and north is a bully without concern for his clients. many complaints are generated about him and he bullies hard. beware. the most prevalent issues are regarding t i p/ . some cases cost the new owner over 700 usd before resolution. one specific case sported 3 different and active t i p for one sailboat. beware. ye pays your money you takes your chances.
re research tip regulations.
I can't tell for other's but I met Don from San Carlos Yacht Sales and have seen a few boats and got very pleasant experience. Of course a broker not guaranteed your TIP will be opened. "Assistance" - key word. Better to do homework before relying on anyone.
The TIP stories sometimes vary.. from as simple buyer and seller going into Banjercito with US certified Bill of Sales to horrible stories on multi-TIP opened.
I met a private party sale boat with 2 TIP's opened - walked away, regardless of cheap price
The best is just go to Banjercito and verify the TIP and make sure the TIP is canceled BEFORE the money changing hands.
Old 15-08-2019, 11:45   #25

Quote:
I can't tell for other's but I met Don from San Carlos Yacht Sales and have seen a few boats and got very pleasant experience. Of course a broker not guaranteed your TIP will be opened. "Assistance" - key word. Better to do homework before relying on anyone.
The TIP stories sometimes vary.. from as simple buyer and seller going into Banjercito with US certified Bill of Sales to horrible stories on multi-TIP opened.
I met a private party sale boat with 2 TIP's opened - walked away, regardless of cheap price
The best is just go to Banjercito and verify the TIP and make sure the TIP is canceled BEFORE the money changing hands.
the managers arenot the real issue, it is the OWNER of the brokerages who is th e bad guy. seems he manages a couple of his 5 investments, wherein the bullying and disinformation and extortion occur. he is not a mexican.
Old 15-08-2019, 11:57   #26

Quote:
the managers arenot the real issue, it is the OWNER of the brokerages who is th e bad guy. seems he manages a couple of his 5 investments, wherein the bullying and disinformation and extortion occur. he is not a mexican.
My real issue is sellers.. They put a boat on hard between their sailing seasons and hoping to sell (jacked up price) or sail again. Year after year..still on hard. After 2 years unattended boat becomes "project boat" with "ready to sail" price tag. Keeping a boat on hard is cheap and the seller do not experience financial pressure(leaving aside the fact the unattended boat on hard is loosing the value fast - not obvious to many). Not to mention really bad communications with seller's - not replying to counter offer, not repaying to questions. Asking for maintenance receipts taken as insult.
Old 15-08-2019, 12:37   #27

that as well.. some boats in these brokerages have been on list for over 12 years. itis difficult to sell a boat when the broker has been witnessed bullying not only the purchasor but has also been witnessed bullying the sellers.
he promised a boat sold within 2 weeks, didnot show said boat for over 1.5 yrs first viewer. so that is sellers fault, i gather... seller bought a different boat within 2 months, but his smaller boat is still for sale.n o one views. funny but the marque is popular one. i was bullied by the owner of brokerage when i said the boat will be more like 2 yrs in listing. the man is truly scary and not motivated for selling boats anymore.
Old 10-09-2019, 14:52   #28

The only time you can close a TIP:
1 - is if the vessel is being removed from the country.
2 - The vessel has transferred ownership.
3 - The vessel has sunk or been destroyed.

If you are leaving the country and don't plan to return, then you will obtain a Zarpe and can cancel the TIP. You can leave the country and if you plan to return before the TIP expires then you don't need to cancel the TIP.
If the vessel is being removed by land, then there is also a procedure for cancelling the TIP, but I have never done this.

If the vessel is sold and there are no other TIP's outstanding and there is at least ten years remaining "out of the twenty years allowed to be in country", you will cancel the current TIP at the same time as the new TIP (in your name) is issue. A "Retorno" will be issued for the cancelled TIP which should be given to the previous owner. Be sure you have your passport and a valid visa when you go to Banjercito to get your new TIP.

Before you buy a boat that might have been in Mexico, make sure that her TIP (and multiples) has been cancelled. A new TIP cannot be issued for a boat that already has one. To get an old TIP cancelled requires presenting the old TIP itself, or pieces of it, and the previous owner’s exit zarpe from Mexico.
If somehow a TIP has been cancelled while the vessel is still in Mexico, then the vessel can be seized for being in Mexico without a valid TIP.

That is my experience dealing with many TIP's on many vessels, but that said things do change in Mexico frequently and sometimes without much notice. Also how the law is interpreted from one port and Banjercito to another can vary, but the government is slowly correcting these faults.

Always safeguard your original TIP and keep a copy on board.
Pagan Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 15:01   #29

Quote:
that as well.. some boats in these brokerages have been on list for over 12 years. itis difficult to sell a boat when the broker has been witnessed bullying not only the purchasor but has also been witnessed bullying the sellers.
he promised a boat sold within 2 weeks, didnot show said boat for over 1.5 yrs first viewer. so that is sellers fault, i gather... seller bought a different boat within 2 months, but his smaller boat is still for sale.n o one views. funny but the marque is popular one. i was bullied by the owner of brokerage when i said the boat will be more like 2 yrs in listing. the man is truly scary and not motivated for selling boats anymore.
Were you in Mazatlan by any chance?
Old 10-09-2019, 15:10   #30

Quote:
My real issue is sellers.. They put a boat on hard between their sailing seasons and hoping to sell (jacked up price) or sail again. Year after year..still on hard. After 2 years unattended boat becomes "project boat" with "ready to sail" price tag. Keeping a boat on hard is cheap and the seller do not experience financial pressure(leaving aside the fact the unattended boat on hard is loosing the value fast - not obvious to many). Not to mention really bad communications with seller's - not replying to counter offer, not repaying to questions. Asking for maintenance receipts taken as insult.
Lost a sale today because the owner was asleep for four days.

Sellers usually have a lot more invested than they could ever hope to recoup, as well as sentimental attachment to the vessel. They have unrealistic expectations for the sale price, and your right, it sits on the hard and deteriorates rapidly in the Mexico weather. The broker should present them with a realistic listing price base on soldboats data, but they must also realize most of those prices sold are for US and Canada, not Mexico.

Usually the first offer is the best price they will ever get for the boat, and if it doesn't sell after a couple years, the asking price is now below that first offer. You also need to take in to account storage costs.

Tags
Mexico