Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2022, 10:22   #1

Buying a £5000 sailboat in France help!

Hi

I’m going to look at a Jeanneau poker 27ft boat that’s currently on the hard in Marseilles. I don’t think the boat warranted a survey and the guy said it’s being sold as seen. Is there any advise anyone can give me on some manual checks I can do? I plan to live on it full time and upgrade to a bigger boat in September/October after I have gained some experience.

https://www.maritima-courtage.fr/ann...oker-jeanneau/

Thank you for all your advice.

Best
David
windsorbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 10:49   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Buying a £5000 sailboat in France help!

David, its questionable whether its worth surveying a boat in this price range.

There are some obvious checks to be made:

Who owns it and are they the vendor?

Can you insure it locally?

Does it float?

Does the engine start, run and not overheat when pushed hard at sea?

Do the sails look like the photos and deploy properly. Test sail the yacht.

Is there signs of any damage, internal and external. Ignore minor scratches and repairs above the waterline in this price range. Can you see behind the internal furniture for signs of repairs? do the bulkheads and chain plates bond properly with the hull. Take a camera and mirror.

Are there any soft spots on the deck or flexing.

From the photos, the engine is a nice surprise and makes this yacht worth pursuing further.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 10:55   #3

Boat: Dufour 29

Nothing wrong with buying in this price range. Figure on overlooking a lot of cosmetic issues. It seems to have a new engine, if I am reading the right ad. The engine alone would cost more than the boat, so I would want to know that it actually runs. If it runs, that would make this boat a good deal. The other big cost item would be sails. Make sure they are in one piece so you can at least start sailing. At this price either you have a great deal or a good deal. On the "good" deal end of the spectrum I would just check all the lines, shrouds and stays, blocks, bilge pumps, and that sort of thing, and mentally add up how much it would cost to fill in anything that is missing, or replace anything that won't work. On the hard, you can check the hull for any holes or dents and knock all the surfaces to check for hollow spot. With the new engine, if it has not been ruined somehow, you could put a lot into this boat and have great value when you finish.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 11:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a £5000 sailboat in France help!

Looks like a nice little boat, standing rig replaced, new Genoa, electric windlass and ports and outlets renewed..
Only thing I would say is check the keelbolts in the bilge and the rudder.. beyond an all over scan.
Tidy looking boat..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 11:15   #5

Thank you all so much for some fantastic advice. As a novice It really helps to get some help and I have been searching YouTube for advice too!
Fingers crossed it all goes well!
windsorbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 12:03   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Good luck

If you are hold some cash back for a bigger boat later and there is no problem with this, but you might ask about the 2 Jeanneau Sunrise 34s they advertised in the announcements on the right hand side of the website.

Interesting boat and should be in the £20-25k range but will offer substantial more space to live on. Fast cruiser racer in their day. We did view one but there was no import duty paid when it arrived in the UK so not for us.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 12:26   #7

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

this boat looks like a bargain ...
but, 1st question, where will you moor your boat, at what price?
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 15:10   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, take a look at this, it may help a lot: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1-a-78671.html It was written by a CF member who is a surveyor.

Make sure the bilge pump works before you launch it. [My husband made what may be a grave error in teaching me to ask myself over and over, "what can possibly go wrong?".]
;-)
Ann
Old 26-06-2022, 15:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbouy View Post
Hi

I’m going to look at a Jeanneau poker 27ft boat that’s currently on the hard in Marseilles. I don’t think the boat warranted a survey and the guy said it’s being sold as seen. Is there any advise anyone can give me on some manual checks I can do? I plan to live on it full time and upgrade to a bigger boat in September/October after I have gained some experience.

https://www.maritima-courtage.fr/ann...oker-jeanneau/

Thank you for all your advice.

Best
David

It seems remarkably cheap for a little boat that presents quite well in the brochure photo’s. Do the usual cursory inspection, inspect the hull for repairs or osmosis: at the least, rotate the engine manually or start it if possible but more importantly check the hull in the bilge area where the keel attaches. If you need to get the boat out of Marseilles there are 2 very good places to store it not too far along the coast at Port StLouis du Rhône, for a 27’ boat berth in the port à sec , about €1200 a year..... the best is “Port Adhoc” but “Navy yard” is ok and a bit cheaper.
Good luck with the purchase.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 02:18   #10

Osmosis and does the engine run would be my big fears. A haul out will let you see the hull, shaft and prop.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 05:07   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a £5000 sailboat in France help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
Osmosis and does the engine run would be my big fears. A haul out will let you see the hull, shaft and prop.
Its on the hard..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 06:35   #12

Boat: Sabre 402

It is surprising that the boat has been on the market since November 2021. One would have expected it long gone at such a low cost in the current market. According to the OP it is being sold "as seen", which would seem to mean "as is". This might seem to indicate that there is a problem with the boat that is NOT showing up in the photos. It might be a good idea for the OP to ask the broker why the boat has been sitting unsold for so many months and what the problem might be before schlepping to Marseilles in a waste of time.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 13:22   #13

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

Currently, a $80-100k boat sells better than a $5-10,000 boat ...
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, France, sail, sailboat