Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2016, 02:19   #1

Budget bluewater cruiser

I do have some saling experience on a few different boats. However, i appreciate that there are a great many out there. I doubt that i will ever do an ocean crossing but i was wondering what a cheap blue water cruiser would cost? i would need something with cabins fore and aft, other than that as small as possible. i am not interested in speed, would want some kind of tank that is dependable

i understand of course that boats are boats and that some are in bettter condition that others, but in general which builders should i be looking out for?
ingm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 03:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Budget bluewater cruiser

Here is a search of the CF forum threads for term "Bluewater" which is how most people tend to think of as a good boat design for sailing offshore or ocean sailing. These threads will give you many hours of reading on topics that may be related to your question.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ter&gsc.page=1

There is no such thing as a "budget" Bluewater boat. Since you did not mention YOUR budget for buying and equipping a boat and did not mention where you are located or will be sailing, there is little for anyone here to know about what fits YOUR needs or YOUR budget. State those and your experience and your goals and that will help others help you.

Good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 06:21   #3
vjm

If you aren't crossing oceans in the next five years, you do not need a blue water boat. There are compromises made for increased safety and seakindliness that can make a boat less comfortable, less agile, and less speedy for coastal cruising. Look at coastal cruisers, you will be much happier and will appreciate the amenities.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 06:54   #4

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Agree with vjm. OP says he may never cross an ocean. Why accept the compromises of bluewater boats for coastal cruising?

I know some full keeler sailors (one who "says" he been around twice) who are constantly whinging about reversing and docking, underpowered with "traditional" auxiliary engines, etc.

Looking at coastal boats from the '70s as well as Bluewater boats will greatly increase the possibilities and chance of a bargain.

From my perspective an encapsulated fin keel and skeg hung rudder is desirable, as is the agile handling and light air performance for a coastal skinny water lifestyle boat. Just my opinion of course.
Old 30-05-2016, 07:11   #5
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingm80 View Post
i was wondering what a cheap blue water cruiser would cost? your life

. i am not interested in speed, would want some kind of tank that is dependable Speed has nothing to do with being dependable. But what I believe you are saying is that you desire to chose a boat more out of fear of conditions than a boat with good sailing ability.
While I understand the constant need of people to ask this same question over and over it just isn't really answerable. I've been here since before I even knew how to sail and never asked this question because you really need to spend some time sailing to decide what type of boat is best for you.
Old 30-05-2016, 07:12   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

As others be said it depends on your budget. If you are actually needing a center cockpit and aft cabin will greatly increase your purchase cost for a blue water boat. We need more info .
Old 30-05-2016, 07:34   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Oh! Oh! I know the answer to this question! Rafiki 37. It's the absolutely perfect boat for everything

Seriously though ingm80, we know you have to start somewhere, but as you can gather, there's no definitive answer to your question as posed. Perhaps if you narrowed it down with your budget, location, cruising area, and general needs, you might get some useable feedback.

You could start by looking here: Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org, or by picking up one of the dozens of books written on the topic, like https://mdnautical.com/paradise-cay/...-anywhere.html

Or you can just buy the perfect boat, a Rafiki 37
Old 30-05-2016, 07:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mike the answer for bignick was a spencer 42 just sold dads boat to him. Lol
Old 30-05-2016, 07:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Mike the answer for bignick was a spencer 42 just sold dads boat to him. Lol
That's it! En Garde you blaggard
Old 30-05-2016, 08:07   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
That's it! En Garde you blaggard
I win with my lislader ( and it has been to Hawaii and back ) my annual budget for her is less than your summer fuel bill.
Old 30-05-2016, 10:46   #11

thank you for the responses

perhaps i need to revise the question

so here goes, working on the assumption that an older boat is cheaper and cheap to one person is not cheap to another person, and assuming that the boat works as well as it was built, and assuming that it can be sailed anywhere and has a fore and aft cabin

then in the range of inexpensive to expensive which boat(s) fall at the former end of the scale?

and we won't make any assumptions about the human sailing her
ingm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 11:02   #12

IMO it's less about a boat then it is about her skipper. A well prepared skipper will take a less than "bluewater" boat and take her round the world safely. A not so prepared skipper will take the best "bluewater" boat the money can buy and will manage to get into trouble.

Any initially well built and subsequently decently maintained "coastal boat" from the 60s, 70s and 80s (i.e. those in the 35-45ft range which would be well under $30-50K)can be refitted for "bluewater" for about anouther $30K-50K, depending on your willingness to do hands on refitting and access to nongouging marine labor and supplies and keeping all the electronics and other gadgetry as simple as possible. Some older boats can be taken rtw as is, especially those whose owners refitted them in the last 10 years or less.

For most dreamers an extensive and expensive refit is just an excuse not to go. Many rtw sailors I've met were in boats which some "dock sailors" on this forum would pronounce derelicts yet they were perfectly fine for those who knew what they were doing. And I think that's the key.

PS If one is lucky and persistent in their search a decent older boat can be had for $20K, refitted for $30K and be ready for rtw at about $50K. That's about 2-3 years worth of a 1-2br apt in most of US. The rtw realistically takes about 2-3 yrs to complete so the whole initial boat cost is no more than one would spend for a place staying on land all that time.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 11:23   #13

For "cabins fore and aft" it will keep the size up a bit. Maybe an Out Island 33 would do that as the smallest I can think of with any actual room.... if you mean enclosed cabins.... not just an aft berth.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 11:33   #14

There's already a thread going which has a list of boats you might be interested in:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2132445
Old 30-05-2016, 11:46   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
While I understand the constant need of people to ask this same question over and over it just isn't really answerable. I've been here since before I even knew how to sail and never asked this question because you really need to spend some time sailing to decide what type of boat is best for you.
This is getting kind of creepy.... We're agreeing more and more.

My thoughts too. 100%.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, cruise, cruiser, water