Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 17:18   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35'
buchanan 45

Hello sailors,

I'm Thomas, hopefully a new fellow cruiser. I know its a long way and im prepared to give my time and learn. Im looking for boats a while ago but its really difficult to choose and find details and reviews on all type so I come to you as I've became attached to one particular boat, this: https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=410726 though ive found really nothing useful info on it apart from the builders book. though at the beginning i would only dare to use it around the uk and maybe for some european voyages, the long term plan is of course a crossing (and hopefully even more). What I'd like to really ask is to tell your opinion on it, even if only based on its description, what you think of its pro-s and cons and also I hope to read somebody who has experience with this kind of boat. It would be a middle aged couple to use it.
Sadly anyhow I love its shape Im a tad bit afraid of the custombuild.

Also, If you have time I would like to ask for other similar size and price cat boats.
was looking into this: https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=340391
this: https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=503552
and for bruce roberts 434-s (what i also really love just seem to be out of my budget which is about 35k gbp on very very top including all the repairs and equipment i will need to get)

every ideas and opinions are welcome, have a clear sky
ThomasBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 00:42   #2

Boat: no boat any more
Re: buchanan 45

ferrocement? DON'T!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 09:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
ferrocement? DON'T!
whats so wrong with ferrocement? its strong and lighter than steel (my only problem with the roberts that they are steel and awful heavy) could you elaborate pls? im not a big fan of plastic and they arent really available in this price+size range. how much an anti fooling can cost and how much does it affect the strength of the hull? is it really that bad? anybody with words on this please?
Old 24-01-2017, 09:43   #4

i would also like to ask you experienced people what you think of its equipment that is listed here: Boat for sale | Buchanan 45 Ferro Cement Cutter — Portland Marina | Cove Yachts can you spot something important missing?
Old 24-01-2017, 09:52   #5

FerroCement boats have crossed oceans and were a home builders dream in the 70's and 80's. You might get a helluva boat for your money. There are Ferro navy boats on the west coast of the USA that were ditched there after WWII. They have been pounded by the Pacific waves for 70 years now and still very visible hulks.
Having said that, few people know much about them, what to look for, how to repair etc. The other thing is to check into insurance availability if you need it in your country.
If you decide to buy one, offer near nothing and work up from there as it will likely be unsellable if you try to get rid of it later.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote