Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2015, 18:05   #1

BUCCANEER 240

HELP! . Can I safley sail a BUCCANEER 240 say from brookings oregon to alaska?
Captain Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 18:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: BUCCANEER 240

Oh good grief Captain Newbie, what kind of a stunt are you to pull on CF?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 19:00   #3

Like the name implies. I'm totaly new to sailing thats why I'm on here to learn hopefully. But not with comments like that. I don't see how that will help me any. Does any one have any real info for me, Thank You.
Captain Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 03:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

Your question and the graphics and your screen name make it appear that you are joking. Ok. Let's suppose you are serious. How can one properly answer your question? You ask if it is safe to sail a particular boat on a particular route--and the answer is....well, it depends. It depends on a variety of factors and while some are dependent upon the route, the time of year, the the boat, the condition of the boat, the weather etc., all of it also depends pretty much on YOU and your smarts, your skills, your experience and abilities. Let's start with YOU...so--you say you are "totaly (sic) new to sailing" so I would say right off NO--it's not "safe" but what is "safe"? Safe to who, for what? Nobody is getting out of here alive. Nothing is risk-free. It's like asking "I'm totaly (sic) new to investing, so is it safe to buy a thousand share of Glominoid Corporation"? Well,what is your risk aversion? How much are you investing? What is your time horizon? What can you say about Glominoid? etc etc... So--you want to sail to northern latitudes presumably inland but maybe coastal and it is not the easiest place to sail. So about the boat. I've seen Bucaneers and been aboard a few. My impression, having owned a few boats and operated hundreds is that flat out--it is the worst sailboat I have ever seen or been aboard. That's my opinion-no more and no less, but you asked. Plain and simple. I have no idea why anyone would own a Bucaneer. There was one in the boatyard next to my family's boat when I was a child in the 60's and 70's. The guy motored it out to cove, drank and screwed all night and motored back every weekend--same place. I knew the boat and thought it was junk but it was "safe" for him, presuming he used condoms on those weekends. There is one sitting across from my house now-and it just sits I have never seen it go out but it has been aground many tiimes during the winter months. And you should see this other thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ser-49565.html But again, whatever one means by "safely (as there are always risks and it is a relative term) I would not want to do anything in a Bucaneer other than drink and anchor in a protected cove, much less sail a 24' one in the Pacific Northwest to Alaska. The wrong person could be in harm's way every mile in a big, heavy and well found ocean cruiser while the right person could sail alone around the world--some have done it! Read Slocum--the best sailing boat ever written by arguably the greatest sailor of all time but he disappeared at sea and was never heard from again. So, does my answer above-written honestly and based on a lot of experience help you or upset you? You asked. I answered. To paraphrase Slocum: "To a man contemplating a sea voyage on a Bucaneer 24 in Alasaka I would say....don't go. But hey-if this shoe fits you --Go!. Just don't endanger others with your lack of experience and ability."
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 09:53   #5

Boat: Hewescraft 22OP with 20 foot itis.

Hey Captain Newbie

I to am new to sailing and unqualified to comment on sailing aspects. In fact my boat is waiting to be placed in the water today. I have exactly zero hours but I think I can offer some relevant information. I have a cabin on the inside passage and have spent many summers there. We are in the south east. Our front porch looks out on the water. First I can tell you the seas can go from glass to 10 plus in a matter of hours or really minutes. Gale warnings are common. Second almost all of the sailboats going by(not many) are burning fuel. If its blowing they are running for safety in an anchorage but most of the time there is simply not enough wind. We have a 22ft Alaska specific power boat and many days we just stay home.

Its an adventure I would probably undertake as thats how we ended up with a place in Alaska. I would spend money for the very best safety gear available. Survival suits, a high quality VHF along with a portable vhf and an EPIRB attached to your jacket. The very best chart plotter you can get. There are thousands of pictures of boats parked on rocks in Alaska that seem to be in the middle of the channel. The EPIRB is a recommendation from the Coast Guard. I called looking to outfit our boat and he said very bluntly if you want to live get an EPIRB. The tidal swings are huge and along with that comes giant debris fields along with dead heads. This can be difficult to see in chop. Prepare for the worst and only travel during the day carrying enough fuel to get where you want to without the help of wind. Safe travels and keep us posted.
Nevada Mike is offline   Reply With Quote