Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 08:39   #31

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Broker-speak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
On my last interaction, a mate was spending 100k on a boat, there was no bells and whistles from any of the brokers we spoke to.
That's only 10K commission. On million dollar boat the commission is what you friend was paying. Same amount of work and paperwork...you figure.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 08:41   #32

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
My experience with brokers are about 50/50. My experience with the general public is about 50/50. What does that tell you?
That brokers are part of the general public.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 09:12   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It's just a little worrisome when a broker writes in the past tense and not in the present. He probably did not realize his mistake and hopefully is not trying to sneak something past a potential buyer.

I would though give the broker the benefit of the doubt until you see the boat in person to see if the boats condition is close to the written description.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 10:59   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
The owner of this P365 should be rightly pi**ed off that some internet cowboy with an active imagination is making stuff up about his boat and posting it as an actual report.
Now who is making stuff up!?! I never said ANYTHING about this being an "actual report" about the boat! I made it as clear as I could that I was commenting on the wording of the broker's ad, not on the boat. It is hardly my fault that you chose to read things into my posting that weren't there.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 11:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I would though give the broker the benefit of the doubt until you see the boat in person to see if the boats condition is close to the written description.
I'd be happy to give the BOAT the benefit of the doubt. The broker, though, has a long way to go before he's going to convince me that he is not a complete doofus.

As for the condition of the boat being "close to the written description," that's the whole point. The written description tells you what the boat WAS like, and it tells you what the broker "would think," but it does not tell you what condition the boat is actually in. It really isn't any description of the boat at all!

That's what makes the ad, and the broker's lame attempt here, so very laughable.
Old 16-05-2012, 11:19   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Now who is making stuff up!?! I never said ANYTHING about this being an "actual report" about the boat! I made it as clear as I could that I was commenting on the wording of the broker's ad, not on the boat. It is hardly my fault that you chose to read things into my posting that weren't there.
Yes, I took your comments seriously. It never occured to me that someone would waste their time posting useless speculation about what someone did not actually say. I thought you were taking the broker to task for mis-representing his listing.

I now see what the deal is. I hope you feel better about yourself someday.

Here is your post.

"Talk about an example of broker-speak! Here is an actual ad I just saw for a Pearson 365, along with my own interpretation of what it means...

"Engine and Genset both started immediately [when they were new, not anymore]. Rigging was complete [once, but not anymore]. Owner maintained at his house [and you can tell the work was all done by an amateur], and mechanically well above average for this boat, I would think [if I didn't know any better]."
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 11:21   #37

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

A couple thoughts:

1. Maybe those things were true. Air can get into the lines, preventing it from starting up as it last did, etc, and engines can have their personalities. Mine needs to be started with close to full throttle as the manufacturer recommends. Someone trying to start it in neutral might think they've been misled.

2. Maybe it's time to find another broker to work with.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 11:21   #38

Boat: Bristol 38.8

My experience with yacht brokers has been pretty good, certainly better on average than my experiences with car salespeople and real estate brokers.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 11:33   #39

BTW, Here is the ad from Boat Trader. It got my attention when I first saw it.

If you go to their web site there are over 100 photos. Pretty good for a 28K boat.

I'm guessing Denver just didn't have any puppies to kick that day.

Used 1976 Pearson 365 Ketch, Sarasota FL - 101708052 - BoatTrader.com=&
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 11:34   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
......I never said ANYTHING about this being an "actual report" about the boat! I made it as clear as I could that I was commenting on the wording of the broker's ad, not on the boat........
I figured it was Don's attempt at humor and it worked for me. I can't believe so many took it serious.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 11:37   #41

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Me too...open some windows and let this thread air out a little.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 11:59   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Wow! this thread went "live" when I wasn't looking .....seems what is written isn't always read as intended by the writer. There be a lesson in there, including when writing for sale adverts.

Stick it on the internet then got to be prepared for all reactions - as a Broker / Vendor I would regard any publicity as good, sure would be better if the thread was about saying the boat is the world's greatest , but it's not - it's about laughing at Brokers and Vendors......and that is "your" fault ("you" wrote it!).

Suck it up, you be on the internet . "you" want only positive feedback and a pat on the head saying "well done" (No matter how inept you are) - then print it out and show only to yer Mum .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Wait a munute. Are you guys just making this stuff up without seeing the boat?

Yes & No.

If you write an advert like a semi literate s/h car salesman be prepared to have people react to you as one.

In my day job I don't sell to people (Punters are a PITA , almost as bad as yacht brokers ), but I do deal in paperwork based "truth" - trust me that truth comes in multiple versions, colours and shapes 'n' sizes (one size does not fit all). Some of which may, or many not be glorified BS (no comment ), but nonetheless everything is true.

I need no lessons on either spotting a turd........polishing one .....sending back whence it came .......or delivering my own in response . and there be good money in turdery .

FWIW, if I was looking for a Pearson, the boat price was in ballpark and was viewable (either locally or on a buying trip I was doing anyway) I would certainly not cross the boat off the list because of the advert - just that would be unlikely to go out of my way to view. I would also go with low expectations (unless I was looking for far less than perfect!) and fully expect not to be pleasantly surprised .......but to be fair, those last points pretty much SOP with me.

As always on this stuff - YMMV.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 12:17   #43
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
My experience with brokers are about 50/50. My experience with the general public is about 50/50. What does that tell you?
That the other 50% of both are idiots?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 12:44   #44

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

We have a winner!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 12:45   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I figured it was Don's attempt at humor and it worked for me. I can't believe so many took it serious.
Yeah, me either. I thought the ad was pretty funny, the way it was written. Some people seem to be looking for any possible reason to get their panties in a knot, though.

Maybe I should just shut up now... NAH!