Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2020, 08:51   #1

Boat: Island Packet 420
Bristol 45.5

Looking for our first sailboat and this Bristol 45.5 just came back on the market, after being sale pending for a few weeks and the price increased by $9000. It has many things on our wish list but do not know if it is well priced for such an old boat that has not had the tanks (fuel and water), standing rigging and chain plates replaced. Any input from those far more knowing and experienced would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Here is the link on the posting.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...ckpit-3697270/
Vwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 09:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Bristol 45.5

Bristols are very nice boats and from the photos (assuming they are current) it is cosmetically beautiful. And generally if an owner keeps a boat cosmetically good he/she has also kept up with other maintenance.

The tanks may be just fine. Depends on what they're made of, how well they have been cared for. Do look at what's involved in repairing or replacing them just in case. Plenty of boats you have to cut the tanks into little pieces, or remove the engine or even cut a hole in the boat to get them out.

Price? Certainly not the bargain of the century but if it ticks all your boxes and is in great shape probably acceptable.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 09:41   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

The Bristol 41.1 and 45.5 are on my short list if I decide to get a bigger boat so I've seen plenty of listings. I think it's a reach at $200k. Underwent a refit in 08/09 so not exactly fresh. I've seen well kept examples around $130k and I think that's the max I'd spend on a 30 year old boat.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 09:42   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We circumnavigated on a 45.5. They are great boats. Tank replacement is very difficult because the tanks were installed and then the interior was built, stick-by-stick on top of the tanks so some major disassembly is needed. We replaced the standing rigging before we left but still had problems with aft lowers. They were replaced again, after four years, in South Africa. Size of wire was upgraded. In this boat it looks like the forward head was converted too a shop, storage area. This is a good idea except you don't have a head when the aft one goes, which it will. Price does seem on the high side.
Old 16-09-2020, 09:47   #5

Boat: Pearson 367

Ainia, your old Bristol is on yacht world. The name is changed but I saw your name on the propane tanks. Very nice boat.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 10:03   #6

I owned a 45.5 and I know the boat you are looking at. She is very nice and has been very taken care of. Our boat had the tanks replaced at about age 24. Cost was around 25k. I think the one you are considering is worth more than average. Probably 50k high. Ask your broker for price on the last 8 or 10 sales.
The 45.5 is a great boat.
goodnumbers64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 10:48   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

The Bristols are good solid boats. Tanks under the sole are tough to replace. Foward tank and fuel tanks not so bad. I have a 41.1, which is for sale, on Yacht World, but don't know how to attach a link. Speaking with my broker, who sold them new, if built now, they would be over a million dollars. Stick built interior on the 41.1, chain plates are very accessible. 3/4" solid teak sole, teak interior, and, they sail well. Very comfortable at sea. My tanks are original, but thinking forward, I would cut the sole, trim it like the other hatches in the sole, and cut the top of the tank out, and insert a bladder.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 11:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
...but don't know how to attach a link.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

You just copy & paste the url into your text here.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 11:30   #9

Boat: Island Packet 420

Thank you all for your thoughts, knowledge and experience. All very appreciated and helpful.
Vwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 11:40   #10

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Different boat, but the rusted steel fuel tank on my Bristol 35.5 came out "easy". Just fit thru the cockpit locker with about 1/4" to spare.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 12:19   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Different boat, but the rusted steel fuel tank on my Bristol 35.5 came out "easy". Just fit thru the cockpit locker with about 1/4" to spare.

congrats .. that is as it should be. on my boat you can loosen a few screws and the tank lifts out. it has a pan that the tank sits in that will prevent fuel from getting into the bilge if there is a leak. putting a fuel tank below the finished sole is almost criminal in my simple mind. then again I have never built a production boat
Old 16-09-2020, 12:29   #12

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Looked at few Bristols 45 and 47 few years ago and this one looks, by the photos and specs (11 years old engine and generator, electric winches and furlers etc.) far better, well equipped and maintained than those I’ve seen.

While the asking price is on the high side, if you take any 30 years old boat with original systems and no upgrades, the replacement and upgrade cost would be a minimum $60-80K. What I can see on this boat probably in cost is around $100K of upgrades. So if compared to a similar breed boat, well maintained but no upgrades, without all the above the asking price would still be around $150-170K or more.

Rigging shouldn’t be a huge extra cost and it may not need a replacement anyway. Tankage is a big headache, but there are quite few innovative solutions when needed to be replaced. Few were mentioned here.

You can do your math...