Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2009, 13:49   #16

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Wouldn't chance it!

Yeah, I think he'd be better off with this other Bristol, if thats the way he wants to go(Bristols that is). Advert says it's ready to go (remains to be seen!) and it's cheaper. Doesn't have all the electronics as the other, but that ain't what gets you from here to there..... Unless somebody on the forum is nearby the yard in Annapolis can go by and put an eyeball on it......

Ozz where are you down under?
Also, what's the budget allow for? What kind of cruising, passage, puddle-jumping?
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 00:05   #17

Boat: Looking
Guys I really am extremly greatful to you for your input and your efforts in this matter. I have learned more on here ion a couple of days than in almost two weeks of searching the net for some REAL details on these yachts.
It seams the broker in this particular instance is not being to forthcoming with the truth on this yacht. When I contacted him regarding either shipping or skippering the boat here to England, he mentioned nothing about it not being seaworthy as it is or the fact that it has been out of the water so long..... I smell those surprises as well Don.

I have no problem taking on a refit if I find the right boat in the right location but to organise one so far from home would turn into a serious project methinks!!!

I still like the look of these boats though although it goes back to the traditional lines (that I have always prefered) which means that on and off access will get a little tougher and as Sandra and I are not getting any younger I had been concidering something a little more modern with a sugar scoop stern for those reasons. Any sugestions as to something suitable? As a guide we fell in love with a Hunter Legend 450. More for its interior layout and ease of shorthanded sailing. The winged keel and spade rudder put me off a bit as a serious blue water vessel?
Our budget would be around $150 K.

Thanks again guys for all your fantastic help.

Ozznightman.
Ozznightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 06:24   #18

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Ozz, notice your location as England. Are we talking 150 US or Sterling (orAU$)?
Old 28-08-2009, 01:25   #19

Hi Fish,

we are talking US dollars or around 85k English pounds. So all we want now is a 52ft Oyster for that money, oh and lottery win to keep it afloat, and I will be very happy! :-) lol

We have had a few quotes to ship a Bristol 41 back to the UK and they vary quite a bit. The best one so far seems to be shipping it over (mast up) $20000 or 12 k English. That might sound a little steep to you guys but the cost of the Yacht is attractive in the first place. As you can see we dont have a big budget but as we intend to liveaboard long term we need to make the best choice we can regarding life aboard and sailing ability. I am a little claustraphobic (?) and although I can see all the advantages of a 38footer, I know it would drive me nuts after a while not having much space aboard. I bought a 47ft Scooner in Australia, she was as pretty as a picture, 22 tonnes of concrete but she sailed extremly well. We got admiring looks and coments on her looks and performance but living aboard was so hard. She was narrow and dark down below and lots of bulkheads to step over..... We live and learn a! So now we have to pay the price that comes with owning a bigger boat.
Old 28-08-2009, 01:34   #20

Our plans at the moment are....

Uk to channel islands, along the French coast up to the Baltic for a year or two, depending on how much we get to see, then back to France and a year in the Canals en-route to the Med. Stay there untill we get bored then we (I) might pluck up the courage to do the ARC and be in Atigua for christmas..... Thats the phrase that started my sailing oddesy. I was crew on a 29ft Sadler comming back from the Channel islands when my friend and his girlfriend anounced that they were buying their own yacht and were going to do thr ARC. '' Sigh'' it sounded so idillic....... Once (if) we reach the Windys it would on to Galapogos and as many Islands as we could find in the Pacific en-route to NZ then eventualy back to Ozz..... Big plan a!? But we hope to end our days onboard and not ina nursing home drinking soup through a straw..... would rather just slip over the side and go see Davy Jones. :-)
Old 28-08-2009, 04:00   #21

Come on you lazy Americans.... just coz its the middle of the night there it's no exuse to sleep..... I am exited and want to learn more more more !!!! lol This is why I got the nickname ''Ozznightman'' whenever I was online in OZZ you lot were asleep. It's just the same now I am home in Blighty.

I was reading another thread on here about Center cockpit V's Aft. I cam accross an Irwin 43 CC Gulf Coast Yacht Sales (St. Petersburg, FL)= and it also looks very nice. Any coments on these boats guys?
Oh and I promise I will try to behave. But I am a recycled teenager...... :-)
Old 28-08-2009, 07:36   #22

Now I've heard that these are not very "Bluewater", but I'll let Forum experts handle that end. I did see a either 41 or 43 Irwin center cockpit in Corpus Christi,Texas at our recent boat show that was going, I believe, for $69K US. Beautiful boat with a very large OPEN salon. Had a "shoe" in the floor for the table. Wonderful galley had tile counter with a large stainless upright reefer. I would have loved this one myself, but I also hear that Irwins are better coastal/island boats than cruisers. Anyone else want to comment on that one? As for this boat, "Bstreep" may know something about it as his is at the city marina.

Transport
Try this link:
http://www.globalyachttransport.com/index.html
This is the best I found so far while checking into it for "Anjou". 10800 EU/9946 GBP for 41' ketch from Ft.Lauderdale, Florida to Southampton UK, port to port NO extra charges for cradles etc. They pick you up, take it there, and put her back in. For a little extra they'll even send someone to St Pete to "Bring her 'round" to Ft.L.
Old 28-08-2009, 07:43   #23

The Kay Lee
Here she is. Ad sez $99k but could have sworn sign at show said $69k. That was the reason I looked, but could have been mistaken.

1989 Irwin Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=
Old 28-08-2009, 10:06   #24

Or maybe this.....
1978 Morgan 452 Center Cockpit Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 28-08-2009, 11:06   #25

She is a nice looking boat and a great price, maybee a little old though.
Sandra is quite taken with the Bristol but I am trying to get her to keep an open mind at this stage. Poor little mite has been stuck in a 35mile long traffick jam for 4 hours because some guy wants to jump off a bridge on the busiest motorway on the busiest weekend of the year! Bummer.
Old 28-08-2009, 11:07   #26

I had looked at the Kay Lee also. She looks well found and in good condition.
Old 28-08-2009, 11:48   #27

I actually went aboard Kay Lee during the boat show. Leaving was a hazard cuz of the drool trail I was leaving!
Old 28-08-2009, 12:12   #28

lol that made me smile coz I know where your coming from bud.
Old 29-08-2009, 06:31   #29

How do you think this one stacks up guys?

Gulf Coast Yacht Sales (St. Petersburg, FL)=
Old 29-08-2009, 08:52   #30

Or this one? Gulf Coast Yacht Sales (St. Petersburg, FL)= Actualy we are quite interested in this one and was wondering if anyone lives close enough to just cast an eye over it for us? Would be real happy to pay expenses if anyone could help out?

Just realised it's the same boat as last post......... Doh!

Thanks guys.

Tags
center cockpit