Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 10:33   #1

Boat: Watkins 27
Bristol 24 or Triton 28

Decisions, decisions.

I have found one of each for roughly the same price. Both could be outfitted for offshore voyaging for about $5k and some elbow grease, though the Triton needs more of the latter. The Bristol is essentially in sailaway condition, at least for coastal cruising. the Triton needs a little more time on the hard to be ready.

I've never sailed either type but I suspect the Bristol might have a drier cockpit and more comfortable motion in a seaway than the Triton due to its higher freeboard and D/L. The Triton should have more storage space.

Any chance that someone here has cruised both and can make a useful comparison?
OldPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:52   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Bristol 24 or Triton 28

Here is a link, can help you compare different production vessels. I think sail away condition goes a long way :-)

Link- Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats scroll down to yellow section, both boats are listed.

Have fun
Old 03-03-2013, 11:06   #3

Boat: Pearson Triton
I haven't cruised the Bristol 24, but thought that's what I wanted and drove 10 hours once to meet a surveyor for a boat I made an offer on. I passed for other reasons but the main one was...too small. Also had cement/iron ballast and some other build/quality issues -- most from mods by previous owner.

After the affordable pocket cruiser search, I bought a Triton. It's not big either...but feels much bigger than the Bristol 24. Probably as well made (maybe better?). Lots more people taking long, ocean-crossing trips in Tritons than 24s. As for being wet or less comfortable I'd say it's a toss up. Again, no 1st had experience but hard to imagine the Bristol has a better motion or is anywhere near the sea boat as the Triton.

In either case, even doing the work yourself, I'd say plan a minimum of $20k to get the boat ready for any serious cruising. Things that cost the most and might be deal breakers (in no particular order): rotten decks, mast step compression, sails (needing replacement), motor (but I'm okay with my outboard in a well), standing rigging, tankage, ground tackle.

There are a few examples for sale right now that are "ready." In retrospect, I'd look at these as the higher asking price is nowhere near what you'll spend to get your $5k boat to that level.

Before any of this, try to get out sailing on one (when it's rough) and maybe even spend the night. Most people cruising these boats for any length of time are sailing alone or both partners are true minimalists.
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:32   #4

I recall reading somewhere that Triton's were manufactured in 2 different factories, 1 on the east coast, and 1 on the west coast. I think I remember that 1 of the factories, produce a Triton that had hull-to-deck joint problems, or something of that nature. you might want to find out where boat in question was manufactured.
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

My friends with Tritons really love their boats. Many have made it over here from the mainland and they continue to show up in far away places.
kind regards,
Old 03-03-2013, 12:13   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You should look at this website to get some real life experience cruising a Triton. Atom Voyages - Home

Personally, would think the Triton would be a more comfortable boat on the ocean though probably wetter because of it's freeboard. Both are good boats, however.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:32   #7

A Triton has always been at the top of my list of desirable boats. The main attraction of a Bristol 24, for me, is the lower acquisition cost and the marginally lower long-term outfitting and maintenance costs.

On the one hand, I am a singlehander unless I get lucky, and a minimalist. the accomodations of a Bristol 24 are adequate for my needs.

On the other hand, I'm kind of old and whichever boat I buy might be my last boat

I know that it will take more than a lot of elbow grease and more than $5K to make either boat a go anywhere boat, but that's enough to enjoy coastal cruising and the caribbean in the meantime and take care of other things as I go along. I don't think there's ever an end to the to-do list on any boat

Both of these boats have already had the deck core and mast compression problem dealt with, have decent sails and good engines, among other things. The $5K is mainly for cosmetics, paint, ground tackle and nav gear.

I'm leaning toward the Triton due, mainly, to the "last boat" consideration. but having something, like the Bristol, to sail this season is a powerful attraction. Being patient and disciplined sucks
Old 03-03-2013, 13:13   #8

Boat: Bristol 34

Although I have an obvious prejudice for Bristols, in the size range you are looking for I'd go for the Triton. Dittio on checking out James Baldwin's site Atom Voyages - Home as he's the Triton expert. For voyaging a radar reflector, handheld GPS and VHF will meet most of your needs.

Another boat to consider for under $10k, which needs very little work, is a Cape Dory 28 located near Atlanta. I''ve seen this boat and believe it to be a bargain and near ready to cruise. 1978 Cape Dory 28 sailboat for sale in Georgia. The down side is figuring about $1500 to truck the boat to the coast Savannah or Charleston.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 16:35   #9
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I owned a Bristol 24 and lived on it FT for quite a while. It was a cute boat but very rolly polly in a mix.

I would 100% go with the Triton.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:16   #10

rondo being a 1960 Triton. I'd say the Triton. We have sailed from here in Maine to lower Bahamas twice and would go now if we could. I do have her up for sale if your intested
Bill
Rondo124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 18:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo124 View Post
rondo being a 1960 Triton. I'd say the Triton. We have sailed from here in Maine to lower Bahamas twice and would go now if we could. I do have her up for sale if your intested
Bill
I'd be happy to consider it if you'll send me the particulars by PM here. Having lived in Maine for six years, I don't think I'll come up to see it before winter is over
Old 04-03-2013, 10:39   #12

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

Having owned a Bristol 24 and single handing it up and down the mid Atlantic - I'd go for the Triton. That's not knocking the Bristol, I just thing think the Triton is a little more comfortable and having been on one a few times my feelings were it felt a lot bigger, was a bit less of a fight to windward and the cabin is IMHO a little cleaner.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:45   #13

Maybe I should split the difference and just get a Pearson Ariel 26'
Old 04-03-2013, 13:33   #14
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Looked at an Ariel. Go with the Triton
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 13:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Looked at an Ariel. Go with the Triton
Really? Why do you say that? The boats are nearly identical except for the enclosed head of the Triton, which I don't need. The two feet in length and half the 1,000 pound difference in displcement is almost entirely accounted for by that head, the rest being in the keel.