Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 13:41   #16

Re: Bristol 24 or Triton 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPelican View Post
Maybe I should split the difference and just get a Pearson Ariel 26'
or a Contessa.

1974 26 ft. contessa sailboat
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 13:42   #17

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

I would go for the Triton if only for additional room. I have an Alberg 30 and she is small but comfy down below. I could not imaging a long term cruiser much smaller than Trition or Ablin vega, but that is a personal decision. I am not too sure what asking price is but there have been some decent deals on Alberg 30s popping up here and there.

Good Luck!
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 15:43   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The Triton has nearly 3' more length, 3" more beam, a 2' longer waterline, and 3300 pounds more displacement. In short, it's a lot more boat in ways that will count if you are going to spend much time on the boat. The difference in waterline length is good for an additional 1/4 knot of boat speed. May not seem like a lot but on a long passage an additional 1nm towards your destination every 4 hours adds up.

There is also a big difference in usable interior space. The salon berths are full length without having to tuck your feet up under the galley or other furniture. Assume that because of this, there is useful storage space on the Triton that is berth foot space on the Ariel. The head will have additional stowage behind the head. Having a fixed head with the ability to brace yourself is a real plus in a seaway. Nothing so much fun as cleaning s**t off the interior when your thrown across the boat by an errant wave while taking a dump. If you ever think you'll have a woman aboard, she'll greatly appreciate the small amount of privacy that the head compartment will give. Across from the head, there is a hanging locker, cabinets or drawers. Once again, way valuable additional storage space. One thing you can't have too much of on any boat is usable storage space. On a small boat it's the difference between existing and enjoying your time aboard.

A couple of other boats you might consider: Columbia 29, a Sparkman and Stevens design with a bit more length and longer water line. Built before Columbia quality went down the tubes. Tartan 27, another S&S design that is quite roomy for it's length. Alberg 30 though may be bit too pricey for you. The trunk cabin Cal 29. The flush deck models may be too short on headroom. It's a fin keel boat but Cal made pretty decent affordable boats.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 19:10   #19
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Roveri said it.

+1
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote