Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 07:22   #16

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Re: Bristol 24 by Accident!?!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscongus View Post
It's going to be a beautiful cruise! I wish I could spend some real time slipping around.

I'll be taking off mid day on Thursday and will need to anchor or grab a mooring for the night somewhere. I'm going plot a course and then see what the Taft's have to say about anchorages along the way.

Great way to end the season (which would be REALLY nice if it were a lot longer!)
Congratulations! Those old Bristols are great boats. We still talk about the great trips we took on our B27. Bass Harbor to Muscongus is a great way to get to know your new boat. Much better than sailing across the Gulf of Maine for a first trip. Taft will give you lots of choices. Check out Merchant's Row for lots of very secluded anchorages that you can find for any weather. If you need to go further and the wind is westerly, Carver Cove on the west side of Vinal Haven is one of our favorites. So many beautiful anchorages, so little time.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 17:13   #17

Boat: Bristol 24
I just got back from my little Tanzer and have my charts and a few other odds & ends for the B24 cruise this Thursday. My Cruising guide is right there on the shelf - ready to plan the route.

A good friend is coming along with my son & me on our little adventure.
I am glad to hear that the Bristols sail as good as they look! I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks for everything!

Dan
Muscongus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:34   #18

Sailed her home last Thursday/ Friday. Sails great! I am going to part ways with my Tanzer22 next season....

She has a nice 12v system that was both a surprise and a pleasure to discover. Running lights, cabin lights, 12v power outlet, VHF, electric start & bilge. Much better than my Tanzer (has no power).

It came with a 2007 4 stroke Honda 9.9hp motor. I had that tuned up at the marina before sailing and it was, well, wonderful to have.

Awesome boat for $760.00! Thank you Boat Angel!

Dan
Old 07-10-2012, 05:47   #19

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

What an incredible deal. Usually with a boat that cheap, you sort of wait for the horror story to unfold. . . . You're one of the blessed few who got a fine boat in good working condition.

With regard to your anchoring thread . . . my vote is for a Manson Supreme (25 or 35 lb.), plus 30-40 feet of high-test 1/4" chain, plus 250 feet of 1/2" or 9/16" nylon braid. If you go up to Hamilton Marine in Rockland I'm sure they'll have everything you need at a reasonable price.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59   #20

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Congrats on the Bristol! I have friends restoring a much larger one and it is a really great sailing boat. Well worth the time you spend on it!
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 21:36   #21

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
I bid on a Bristol 24 on Ebay the other day and, as I planned, lost the bid. I put in $760.00 because the low bid was really, really low. Too low, if you know what I mean.

The person that won, evidently, was out of contact, because the seller (Boat Angel Ministries) sent me an email and sold me the boat. They said the other bidder did not respond withing their 24 hour window and they could not reach them.

So, I guess I am now the accidental owner of a nice looking old Bristol 24. Hope she sails as good as she looks!
Lucky you!!! Our Bristol 24 was one of our favorite boats we ever owned. We sold her over 10 years ago and still miss that boat. They are such sweet sailors. we wish you the best of luck with it. We are "between boats" right now, and I wouldn't mind one bit if we became "accidental owners" of a B-24.
Old 02-11-2012, 22:07   #22

Quote:
I bid on a Bristol 24 on Ebay the other day and, as I planned, lost the bid. I put in $760.00 because the low bid was really, really low. Too low, if you know what I mean.

The person that won, evidently, was out of contact, because the seller (Boat Angel Ministries) sent me an email and sold me the boat. They said the other bidder did not respond withing their 24 hour window and they could not reach them.

So, I guess I am now the accidental owner of a nice looking old Bristol 24. Hope she sails as good as she looks!
Why would you bid and plan to lose the auction?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Why would you bid and plan to lose the auction?

I've done that in the past myself, just bidding the petty cash/ciggies/junk food budget rather than the savings account.

Less a matter of deliberately going for a loss, as lowballing so low just of the off chance everyone else would be stupid enough to pass it up.
Kiwi303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:02   #24

@ Oldragbaggers: She sails great! I am really excited about her. Seems that they have a great reputation and that anyone who has owned one has nothing but good memories.

I'm not sure where you are, but, if you are looking on the east coast of the USA, you can likely find a nice B-24 on ebay just like I did. Boatangel is a non-profit that gets biats donated to them. That is who I bought mine from and they were great to deal with. They just recently had two that sold - not sure if they have anymore right now or not. They put me in touch with the gentleman that donated the boat and he answered a ton of questions about her. Super nice guy that, at 82, needed to have a hip replaced and was retiring from sailing. He'd taken really good care of the boat. I went and picked her up at the local marina, had them tune up the motor for just in case and sailed it 70 or so miles back to my harbor. Great boat!

Dan
Old 03-11-2012, 12:40   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Congratulations! That's a great eBay story. EBay has never disappointed me. Some of their users have misrepresented their products but that's capitalism.
Well done.
kind regards,
Old 03-11-2012, 18:45   #26

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Muscongus, thanks for the good report on Boat Angel. I see their boats listed all the time but had never bid on one. I have bought 2 other boats on ebay though and had good results.

We rebuilt our B-24 from stem to stern. Literally rebuilt all the interior with teak faced marine ply, moved the chainplates outboard, built backrests for the settees in the main salon (we had the traditional model), built shelving into the galley cabinets, installed a Fynspray pump, replaced the fixed ports with stainless steel opening ones, all new interior cushions, new Pergo on the floor, custom built table that could be used in the salon or the cockpit, teak companionway ladder, put in a traveler across the back of the cockpit and an tillerpilot, new pain, new non-skid, new stern pulpit, double lifelines, new standing and running rigging, new sails, sailcovers.... somebody stop me. I could go on and on. The guy who bought her from us has had her for sale for years. He never removed the posting from sailboatlistings.com so if you would like to take a look she's at 1970 Bristol 24' Corsair sailboat for sale in California

We live in Baltimore now. If we still lived in San Diego I probably would have bought her back by now. But he was asking too much, (due to lack of care...the last few times we visited CA we saw her hanging on a mooring in Mission Bay covered with bird crap and tattered tarps) plus the cost of shipping. If we found another we would probably do the same thing again.

We actually lived aboard her for almost a year.

Well, I better stop now. I am getting all weepy. Enjoy your wonderful boat.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:54   #27

Boat: PT-11

That's a great deal on a great boat. Congrats!
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 11:00   #28

Boat: Bristol Corsair 24

Hey there! My husband and I just got a Bristol 24 from Boat Angel through e-bay in bristol condition!!! Paid $3200 and are spending a lot more on a trailer and shipping to Chile (That's the price we have to pay to live in this southern paradise). There aren't many classic sailboats available here, and they are usually expensive. We are very exited about it's arrival and enjoyed reading your posts from 2012. Muscongus, are you still sailing yours?
Old 13-02-2020, 18:29   #29

mamakokopelli - Did you ever get your Bristol 24 down to Chili - I believe? I hope you did. Have you enjoyed it?
Sherpa-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 01:30   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, 'Star.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote