Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2017, 10:49   #16

Re: Bought my boat! Cape Dory 27 CD27

Congrats from me also, both on your boat and on your deed getting to her.

I second Jim's counsel. It's amazing how we adapt both in body and in soul to what a given vessel is, and what she offers. It's a lot cheaper and easier for you to adapt to what is,after all, already a wonderful little boat, than it is to adapt the boat to your predilections:-).

One of my observations in regard to older boats is that each one of the previous owners will have made "improvements" that by the time a boats gets to be forty years old comprise a pile of things you'd like to have otherwise. TP, as is well known by now, is a prime example, but even so, I think I can claim to have adapted reasonably successfully, i.e I have learned to leave "well enough" alone.

The name of the game is "sailing" - not "maintenance and reconstruction" :-)!

All the best

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 10:52   #17

Boat: Scout 30

[QUOTE=Don C L;2480519]As for a good dinghy for a smaller boat, as much as I love zipping around with an outboard on a nice little RIB, the one I have happily settled on and have no regrets on is an expedition size inflatable kayak with a drop-stitch floor that is almost rigid. I can pack 850 pounds in it, or the whole family, and still paddle it by myself into a headwind. It rolls up to be easily thrown into the cockpit footwell temporarily or stowed on the bow or even in my case below decks too.

Sounds like a great kayak. Can you tell us which brand & model it is?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 10:58   #18

[QUOTE=Don C L;2480519]I am one who eschews the presence of items of windage so davits and dinghies don't appeal to me in general on a smaller boat. For that reason I think one or two solar panels on the pushpit that can fold up/down is a good way to go. I like the idea of a flexible panel on the bimini, but where does it go when you want to fold up the bimini?

Here in Florida where you can get sunburned at night we NEVER fold up our bimini! However, if we needed to fold it up the sun wouldn't be out anyway so you could just unplug the panels & store them.
Old 17-09-2017, 12:53   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I would agree with the advice given by Cheech and Suijin. Their remarks are certainly based in previous experience and would heartily recommend them. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 17-09-2017, 13:02   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

[QUOTE=Scout 30;2480600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
As for a good dinghy for a smaller boat, as much as I love zipping around with an outboard on a nice little RIB, the one I have happily settled on and have no regrets on is an expedition size inflatable kayak with a drop-stitch floor that is almost rigid. I can pack 850 pounds in it, or the whole family, and still paddle it by myself into a headwind. It rolls up to be easily thrown into the cockpit footwell temporarily or stowed on the bow or even in my case below decks too.

Sounds like a great kayak. Can you tell us which brand & model it is?
There may be others, but the one I have is the Sea Eagle 420x. It's kind of pricey at $1200 but mine gets a lot of use and is still fine, no leaks. When I first bought it one of the splash guards started to delaminate. I sent it back and they sent me a new kayak.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 17:44   #21

[QUOTE=Don C L;2480697]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
There may be others, but the one I have is the Sea Eagle 420x. It's kind of pricey at $1200 but mine gets a lot of use and is still fine, no leaks. When I first bought it one of the splash guards started to delaminate. I sent it back and they sent me a new kayak.
I think I'd have to add the sailing kit!

Old 17-09-2017, 18:28   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

[QUOTE=Scout 30;2480895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post

I think I'd have to add the sailing kit!

I hadn't seen that kit. Pretty nifty!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 19:21   #23

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Welcome to the world of Cape Dory. You've got a sturdy boat that will serve you well. Everyone has given you great advice. Before you start spending money, may I suggest you take care of the basics first.
Electrical, Engine, thru hulls, rigging, sails, backing plates etc. Cape Dory built a fantastic sturdy boat, take care of the essentials first and then worry about the secondary items.
My CD36 is beautiful on the outside and gets many comments, under the beautiful exterior is a world of upgrades and maintenance. Make sure she can sail safely first. Then worry about everything else.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 16:56   #24

Boat: Catalina 350

[QUOTE=Don C L;2480697]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
We have its less expensive sibling, the Sea Eagle 370. Also a good choice for a dinghy. We also have a Porta Bote and rarely use it any more. The inflatable kayak is just much easier to take and doesn't drag the boat down at all when towing it. I'm sure the adventure line, you have, is that much nicer. The cat kayak thing they make looks pretty cool too

To the OP. Enjoy your new boat! We have a C Head in ours. One of the best improvements we did.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cape dory