Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2008, 12:56   #16

Boat: 83 27' hunter "SALTY DAWG"
the next big ? is when do you want to get the boat south, it will be getting cold quick. you dont have much time to get it going if going by sail. i would bet if you look you could get 2 people to help, as most people are pulling their boat now and might love a trip south. by the end of the trip you will know how to sail, but figure on at least 2 weeks if the weather and winds hold out with sailing over night

i wonder if my wife would be willing to make the trip, but she is more of the cook than sailor type
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 13:27   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Beetle,

Congratulations! That's a good choice for a boat. What an adventure. Take some courses if you can but go check out some local clubs to see if you can round up reputable crew. You'll have way more of great time if you do it yourself with some new experienced sailing friends.
Kind regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 14:00   #18

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi,
Congratulations on the new yacht. I'd back this last suggestion of getting some training in under perfect conditions and with no real responsibilities - then either having it shipped or setting out on your own boat with experienced crew.
If you head off completely inexperienced and run into heavy stuff, however good your skipper might be, you may well decide its your last voyage!
Good luck
JOHN
Old 26-10-2008, 17:54   #19

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice30 View Post
i just bought a 1985 30 foot catalina ... bringing it south with little experience...

The safe way is to truck it… but ya won’t learn diddly by truckin’ except how to write checks… Find a way to get in at least a basic sailing course that involves piloting/navigation (assuming your skills are rusty or not up to par…) and also the usual safety things (usual until you need them, but scrambling trying to figure out how to alert the USCG or SeaTow or how to dial up assistance, or weather, on the VHF isn’t fun when the first time you have to do it is in real-time…), anchoring and boat handling… come down the ditch, help won’t be all that far away and by the time you get to your destination either you and your new love will be inseparable, or you’ll be divorcing the fiberglass beastie… I agree with those who recommend a surveyor, but be sure to tell them this isn’t for insurance, but so you can get to know your vessel and cure any must-dos…

Plan your route, sail your plan… Oh, have fun…
Old 26-10-2008, 19:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmt View Post
What I would do.
I would find me a ASA school down south, fly down, take their combine course. ASA 101, 103, and 104. The course in Corpus Christi is around $1400.00 then come back home. Outfit my boat and sail south. There is always someone looking to crew south. I see them all the time on forums.

This would give you the experience to handle your boat. Cheaper in the long run than a delivery captain. They run $250 and up per day along with the cost of a crew member plus air fare back up north. A delivery captain will want to get the trip over. You might just want to enjoy the trip down and do some sight seeing along the way. From what I understand it is a wonderful trip.

Fair winds and have fun. Wish it was me doing the trip.
This is excellent advice. I'll send you a PM with some other info.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 04:04   #21

Boat: J-36, Beneteau 50
Send a message via Yahoo to procrew4u
Congrats on the new boat, if you are looking for a good crew member then I am available. I just finished doing a delivery for a gentleman who read my post and was very happy to get his boat to Cobb island, MD. He had no experience when we left and now has his navigation, sail handling, docking, electrical and diesel repair knowledge. he was a quick learn on all these functions so it was an easy delivery for me.

I have been sailing for most of my life and have taught sailing in St. Thomas as well as Newport, RI at J-World a highly recognized sailing school supported by US Sailing. If you still need help PM me and we can discuss it further.

Most delivery captains do not always take the time to teach you basic sailing for one simple reason, They don't like having the owners on board. I on the other hand enjoy owner on board deliveries, it gives me great satisfaction at the end of the trip knowing the owner will have learned all the basics to go out and practice and refine their new found hobby safely. Some captains charge a large amount per day, I don't, but transportation back is a must.

Either way let me know. Tony.
procrew4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 09:47   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
The weather is great here in South Texas. Weather next week in Corpus Christi is supposed to be a high in the low 80s, and lows in the 60s. Bugs are gone, summer tourists are gone. Fly Southwest down, and enjoy a week.

It's getting late in the year up north, but that could be a just plain great trip south. I'd get a captain and head south.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 18:28   #23
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythepirate1 View Post
Congrats on the new boat, if you are looking for a good crew member then I am available. I just finished doing a delivery for a gentleman who read my post and was very happy to get his boat to Cobb island, MD. He had no experience when we left and now has his navigation, sail handling, docking, electrical and diesel repair knowledge. he was a quick learn on all these functions so it was an easy delivery for me.

I have been sailing for most of my life and have taught sailing in St. Thomas as well as Newport, RI at J-World a highly recognized sailing school supported by US Sailing. If you still need help PM me and we can discuss it further.

Most delivery captains do not always take the time to teach you basic sailing for one simple reason, They don't like having the owners on board. I on the other hand enjoy owner on board deliveries, it gives me great satisfaction at the end of the trip knowing the owner will have learned all the basics to go out and practice and refine their new found hobby safely. Some captains charge a large amount per day, I don't, but transportation back is a must.

Either way let me know. Tony.
beetlejuice30,

I don't know Tony, and he just joined the forum, so get references (of course, you should always do this anyway...).

But, reading his post, it sounds like he may just be the delivery captain you are looking for. Sounds like he has the attitude where your money would not just be for safety, but for some good instruction, as well. If I was you, I'd at least check him out.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:30   #24

Boat: grampian 26
With all due respect there is a lot more to sailing than just sailing. A boat is a complete system and you need to know everything about said system. When you are out there you are pretty much on your own. As someone who took the one week basic keel boat course I learned that There is a lifetime of learning involved in owning and operating a boat. It is unrealistic to expect to learn it all in a short time. Keeping that in mind get going and keep going and you will master it.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:42   #25

Boat: J-36, Beneteau 50
Send a message via Yahoo to procrew4u
While I do agree with you, some people can easily pick up the basics quicker than others.

I am currently teaching a gentleman how to sail and what I have said to him is "listen and feel what the boat is telling you", with this said, he has picked up what the boat is doing all the time. we Hove-to for 18 hours to see what the boat could handle and how he would be able to cope with the conditions, then we set sail back for port using a monitor vane and just a head sail under improving weather.

We also have a SPOT on board so we are never "ALONE". What a great unit to have on board. This little compact unit will send your current position to a cell phone and to your computer, If you get the extra rescue package for $10. you will be covered for a $100,000 rescue, Now thats insurance, not that I want to test it. WWW.FINDMESPOT.COM check it out, it's worth it.

And yes he will be spending a life time to learn, I personally learn all the time and apply those lessons to others as I figure them out. When I mentioned that the owner of the boat I delivered to Cobb island was a quick learn, I meant just that, The one I'm on right now is a more conservative person, not wanting to push the envelope or cause heavy damage to his pride or boat. So with that said I will keep you all informed on the passage.
procrew4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 23:02   #26

Boat: shannon 43 ketch Celebration
if tony is what he says, DO IT. there is nothing like experience as a teacher. I bought a bush plane no license, never flew and had "a tony" to help, sure it costs, what of value is free? but i had my Tony put me in the left seat, and talk to me, and i squeezed him for every nugget. that was 2800 hours and 25 yrs ago.
On the other hand Shannon shipped our 43 ketch to oakland for 10gs in 02. they decomissioned it and a yard re commisioned it for the boat show, and i "learned her" on SF Bay, having only a sunfish before.
live the dream if you can.
ds
davidschiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 11:23   #27
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
"bought a boat with no experience"

Oh... you may be surprised at how much experience she has... Take her out, show her a good time and she may have all sorts of clever tricks up her sail...

; -)

have fun!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 13:47   #28

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I bought my boat, 31ft Cat, with no experience. I've read a lot and since I've learnt how much I don't know. Hardest thing, oddly for a draughtsman, was/is charting progress and position while being skipper of inexperienced crew. A hundred hours in and I'm venturing into stronger winds and the English Channel but night sailing is still in the (nearish) future. The hardest sailing is close to the shore, getting into broad bays becomes easier while you can see the shore.
Interpreting radar is a knack, pressing the right buttons has to be learnt for all electronics. With two decent crew and yourself you might get away with it if the sea and the weather is kind to you. If it's not you'll want an experienced skipper and a crew man who won't get seasick. You'll start as a passenger, you'll finish as a skipper, not an experienced one but with the knowledge of what's wise and what isn't.
Planning is the hardest part. It takes hours to plan tides, currents, expected progresss and plan alternates and gather the charts for them all, not just your planned route. Your skipper should bring his own charts which will save you a lot of money. Chartplotters are not 100% reliable. Flat batteries, gremlins etc all occur at the worst time. Then try and get insurance without a 'qualified skipper' on board.
It's taken me six months to get to think about trying a night trip. Cautious but surviving with no damage to boat and just a little to my pride. Good Luck, Don't RUSH.
Old 11-12-2016, 14:56   #29

Boat: catalina 1985 30 -Hello over there
Re: Bought a Boat with No Experience?

Well I did it, I sailed the boat from new York to Florida now planning to go further.
I had to build a career to afford it but no regrets kept me focused and i learned a lot!
Still a lot to learn!
Reason, logic, and common sense will go a long way on the water I found.
For all those that helped on cruisers forum I'd like to buy you a drink, see you in the Bahamas.

Sent from my SM-J200M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-12-2016, 15:07   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Bought a Boat with No Experience?

allll right!!! ye did it. i take it the gap from 2008 to no0w was learning and developing.. good on ye.
so you aint running off screaming--- how was the trip--didja go icw or outside--how long did the trip take you. did you find crew>> gotta spill all.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote