Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2020, 11:07   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 / 46' Bayliner Avanti
Bottom paint for WA state

Apologies if this has been answered already...

Washington state has a new bottom paint law for 2020 making essentially any copper bottom paint illegal. https://www.fisheriessupply.com/copp...ttom-paint-law

I understand effective bottom paint is specific to the region you're in... What are some good alternatives for the PNW? Just ablatives?
newbie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:54   #2

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: Bottom paint for WA state

Note that at least some marinas here, Cap Santa being one of them, do not allow bottom cleaning at the slips with ablative bottom paints.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:51   #3

Boat: CT 48

it looks like it's been delayed again until 2026 https://waggonerguide.com/copper-bot...on-until-2026/

I like hard paint because we aren't out all the time, and ablative doesn't seem to do as well sitting in a slip for long periods in my experience.

I just did mine, and the main hull is done with a Blue Water paint that's no longer available (but ~60% copper). I didn't have quite enough of it, so the rudder is painted with Petit's Trinidad Pro. Hopefully I'll see how well it comes out.

After seeing Zatara & some others online reporting back about Magic Anti Fouling, I checked into that (it's also non-copper) but they're not EPA approved yet. I did pick up their "Triton" prop coating, and if it works 20% as well as the online reports show, I'll be thrilled.
slugsgomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 17:46   #4

That explains it. I was confused since I stopped by a West Marine and yeah.. they sold me some copper based bottom paint without question. I'm getting hauled out on Friday so I'm needing something right now.

Went with SEA HAWK Sharkskin Antifouling Paint. It's 42% and I got it for about $140 a gallon with a price match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugsgomoo View Post
it looks like it's been delayed again until 2026 https://waggonerguide.com/copper-bot...on-until-2026/

I like hard paint because we aren't out all the time, and ablative doesn't seem to do as well sitting in a slip for long periods in my experience.

I just did mine, and the main hull is done with a Blue Water paint that's no longer available (but ~60% copper). I didn't have quite enough of it, so the rudder is painted with Petit's Trinidad Pro. Hopefully I'll see how well it comes out.

After seeing Zatara & some others online reporting back about Magic Anti Fouling, I checked into that (it's also non-copper) but they're not EPA approved yet. I did pick up their "Triton" prop coating, and if it works 20% as well as the online reports show, I'll be thrilled.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:57   #5

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

I’ve had good luck with Sharkskin.
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:55   #6

Cool I wasn't sure what to make of it. I can't find much about it online. But it was the highest copper content on the shelf so I took a gamble.

The yard I'm getting hauled at has some pretty strict rules.

They'll allow you to rough up a surface for paint but that's about it... as long as you have the following:

Vacuum sander
Minimum 6 hole sandpaper
Minimum 5hp shop vac with minimum of 12 gallon capacity
Must be a double filtration system.

It's been a bit of an adventure cobbling this stuff together. I would have thought there would be a kit that would easily allow you to connect to an orbital to a shop vac but.. not so much.

Parts from Amazon, Lowes, and Home Depot:

Craftsman shop vac (CMXEVBCV1260L) -> DEWALT DWV9000 Universal Connector -> DEWALT DWV9190 Large Hose Adapter -> DEWALT DWE6423 3 Amp Corded 5 in. Variable Speed Random Orbital Sander -> DEWALT DW4309 5-Inch 8 Hole 80 Grit sandpaper

You're welcome - whoever was looking for the same thing

I needed an adapter (DWV9190) for the adapter (DWV9000) just to step up to the 2-1/2" vac hose.

I think I'm ready. 6 hour motor to the marina tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200909-105331_Photos.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	223073  
Old 09-09-2020, 10:58   #7

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

What marina are you working in?
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:10   #8

Hylebos. The only other marinas I'm aware of that will let you do DIY in WA are in Port Townsend. But that's further away.

The only thing I can't seem to source is a proper respirator for the sanding.
Old 09-09-2020, 15:57   #9

Doubt you'll be able to find a respirator, but with vacuum sanding and a dust mask I was actually in great shape.

I was actually just at Hylebos, and as long as you keep your spot clean & tidy and follow the rules they're great to work with. Apparently they've had problems with folks breaking them and putting them at risk of major EPA fines, which makes them uneasy about people doing their own work. I actually ended up just renting the vacuum sander setup from them (~$65/day) since I didn't want to abuse my shop vac on that job
slugsgomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 16:26   #10

Nice! I didn't realize they would loan the equipment. I guess that's in the cards if I need anything.

I ended up finding a 3M 6300 respirator and a 3M 60923 filter. It's designed for Organic Vapor/Acid Gas but it's P100 so should be better than an N95 for particles.
Old 10-09-2020, 20:18   #11

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie- View Post
The only thing I can't seem to source is a proper respirator for the sanding.
Did you check Harbor Freight? I saw respirators recently at Burlington location.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 21:17   #12

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

The last time I did dyi the yardmaster came out and said none of my stuff met the yard's standards and I had to rent everything from the yard.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Did you check Harbor Freight? I saw respirators recently at Burlington location.
Already on the way from Amazon.. Filters are here now. I just need the mask. I never considered looking at Harbor Freight.. that's a good idea.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
The last time I did dyi the yardmaster came out and said none of my stuff met the yard's standards and I had to rent everything from the yard.
Yeah I'm thinking I may be in the same situation. I'll bring my gear down later today and see if it checks out. Otherwise I'll be returning all of it.

I'll be doing a bottom job on two boats. My Catalina 30 is up next in the sling for paint and zincs. But I'm starting with my powerboat.. and oh god this one is bad. As soon as it came out of the water the guys at yard looked a bit upset. The murky waters at the marina.. I can't see anything a foot down so I had no idea it was so bad. I'd post a pic but nobody here wants to see a powerboat

I have to say -so far- I'm pretty happy with Hylebos. Everyone has been very friendly.
Old 11-09-2020, 20:16   #15

mine hadn't been out in a while. I ended up paying about double on cleaning due to the hard growth they had to go after during the washdown, oof.

I'm not against seeing powerboat pics- for me I really like the before & after, and the worse before is, and the nicer after is, the better

Tags
bottom paint, paint