Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2016, 05:09   #16

Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Well, no offense, but I'm going to start by disagreeing with your criteria. Here on the west coast of Florida (and throughout the Keys) there are a fair number of marinas, canals, and passes that you'll only get through at high tide with six feet of draft, but that will be close-but-doable with five feet of draft on any tide. Based on the research that I have done, I have concluded that my next boat needs to have absolutely no more than five feet of draft.

That, of course, still leaves a whole lot of boats that fit the criteria. In fact, it looks like all of the boats listed above would qualify. Here are a few that I have on my list:

Morgan 36 or 41 OI
Morgan 38 CB, 382/3/4
Pearson 40 CB
Seafarer 38
Endeavour 37
Hunter Cherubini 37 SD
Downeaster 38
Pearson 365
Whitby 42/Brewer 12.8
Tartan 34/37
Gulfstar 39 Sailmaster
Catalina 36/38 SD
O'Day 39/40 SD
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 08:51   #17

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Decent boats.... someone has a good eye
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:13   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
PURPOSE:
The purpose of the thread is to illustrate the boats designed for shallow water cruising and to show photos and some data about them, including their draft and typical "street price" or Asking Price.

Owner comments about the boats are encouraged and any observations about their distinctive features or comfort or reputations or build is encouraged too. I will continue to add to this thread as I identify boats that fit the criteria listed below. This thread can contain both Mono and Multi-hull boats, but I will post it in the Monohull forum as that is where most people will be looking for shallow draft boats.

This is NOT a thread about whether a shallow draft boat is required (there are many threads discussing that in the archives). This is an illustrative thread of the types of boats designed for shallow water cruising.

REASON:
I am starting this thread because over the years I have been a member of CF I see many new members asking very similar questions about boats suitable for use in Florida, the Florida Keys, and the Bahamas. One common factor is that these are all cruising areas where a shallow draft boat may be preferred because of the local conditions (shallow water, "skinny water" cruising grounds). While boats with drafts deeper than 6 feet do cruise those areas, it is a fact that a shallow draft boat will allow its owner to get closer in at anchorages and to travel through some areas others cannot safely transit due to their deeper draft.

What is "shallow draft?"
For the purpose of this thread, I will say it is a boat that has a draft of LESS THAN SIX FEET.
Such a timely posting

I was getting ready to introduce a new subject thread that would address the subject of an alternative boat design to the current one Jimmy Buffert is having built....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-156741.html

...and most specifically to limitations that boat will have here on the east coast of the USA and the Bahamas. To my knowledge he has been a long time fan of 'flats fishing' and some other shallow water activities. So I don't understand his choice of a vessel with 6 foot of draft minimum and twin screws ??

There is a lot of skinny water here that is potential great exploration potential with boats that drawn less then 6 feet. And remember if it draws 6 feet, most skippers start getting nervous when it gets to be 9 feet (particularly when it is a monohull that might end up drawing a bit more upon standing back up straight.
Old 21-10-2016, 09:17   #19

Boat: Scout 30

While I commend Steady for starting this thread it think there's a missed opportunity here. Having cruised the west coast of Florida for over 25 years, plus the Keys & the Bahamas, I think the definition of shoal draft needs to be drafts under 4'.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:24   #20

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

I have a Gulfstar 41. She draws 5 feet. She is comfortable for two couples, and yet can be singlehanded if properly laid out. Mine is not for sale, but there are a number of them available on the Gulf Coast from $25,000 to $75,000 depending on age and condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MODIFIED NIKE.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	133363   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7345.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	133365  

CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:28   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I think the definition of shoal draft needs to be drafts under 4'.
I wouldn't argue if that is how you want to define "shoal draft." In reality, I would prefer a boat in the 4' or less range. The reason that I, personally put my limit at 5' is because there are a whole bunch of boats in the 4'-5' range that would make good cruisers. Much fewer in the 4' and under range.

Here on the west coast of Florida, 4' or less would certainly let you into a number of places that a 5' boat could not go. But I think that 5' lets you into most places, and the number that are restricted when the draft gets over 5' seems to really go up.

So, anyway, that is my personal reasoning on the matter.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:53   #22

I have been warming up to the idea of a late 80s Hunter 40 Legend for shallow draft cruising. Somewhere between $40k and $60k.

LOA: 40 ft 0 in
Beam: 13 ft 5 in
LWL: 32 ft 6 in
Minimum Draft: 5 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 0 in
Displacement: 17900 lbs Dry Load
Ballast: 8400 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 58 ft 6 in
Headroom: 6 ft 6 in
Hoosiersailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:56   #23

Right, and we just came up Nassau to Freeport and Charleston on a Benneteau First 38 - cruised through the Bahamas with few draft issues.

Glad to see the Tartans listed on denverd0n's post. Here's one for the classic boat enthusiast - refit, new Yanmar, and current survey 1968 Tartan Blackwatch Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
19Valiant79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:30   #24

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Steady, great thread

Personally I like the Freedom cat ketch rigged center boards. They are in the sub 4 foot draft class. Many can be found in the 28-40 foot range and most are 40k or less.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:41   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

DENVERD0N and SCOUT30,

I respect both you for your experience with boats and your contributions to CF. Thank you both for adding something to this discussion.

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice and simply to share my reasoning for picking "LESS THAN 6 feet."

I chose "Less Than 6 Feet" because I had to pick SOME draft number as the limit. Because I have looked at thousands of boats in the last few years, I noticed that MOST seem to have "draft = 6 feet" as their design. Based on my own viewing of boats, "6 Feet" seems to be the most common draft. So, boats with LESS THAN SIX would be less than the average and so, in my opinion, more likely to be described as "shallow draft" boats by brokers, marketers, manufacturers, and other sailors.

Of course there are some boats that have DEEP DRAFT keels (7 to 8 feet) and are also offered in a "shallow draft" version too (which is probably around 6 feet).

As I continue to add boats to this thread (and you ALL may too), I will NOT add any boats I find that have drafts of 6 feet or more. That eliminates MOST boats I have seen on the market.

As to whether a draft of 3, 4, or 5 feet is preferable? I think that is also a matter of local area and/or personal preference and as I mentioned in my OP, a shallow(er) draft boat will allow a sailor to go more places.

As you have noted, several of the boats I posted already have LESS THAN 5 foot draft. I will continue to highlight the DRAFT of the boats I post. That is the focus of the thread.

I personally would love to have a swing keel on an Alubat OVNI or a Southerly or Kiribati 36, or other boat (cat) which I could BEACH when wanted. But that is my preference. As things go, I will probably wind up with a full keel 6 foot draft boat in the future.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:41   #26

My well equipped Sailboat the "Office" is on the market.

Beneteau 39' 1989

Asking Price = $64K or BO
Draft = 4' 5"
Location = Panama City, FL

Call or text me anytime for further Info. Its also listed on sailboat.com.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/59321

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front View.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	133368   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150907_151516_resized_1.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	133369  

Name:	20150907_151438_resized.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	133370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	133371  

Name:	IMG_0466.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	133372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0443.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	133373  

oceanczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:46   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BEILAND,

Thanks for adding your comments too. I always enjoy seeing your posts and your focus on unusual boats is informative and stimulates imaginative thinking.
Old 21-10-2016, 10:50   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
While I commend Steady for starting this thread it think there's a missed opportunity here. Having cruised the west coast of Florida for over 25 years, plus the Keys & the Bahamas, I think the definition of shoal draft needs to be drafts under 4'.
Thanks for adding that comment, and I hope you will continue to participate in this thread, because of your experience in the FL areas I think will be a focus of most.

I have spent some time looking at charts of Florida waters, noticing the MANY shallow or shoal draft areas, and some VERY large parts of the coastal areas are VERY shallow! But your practical experience, and that of the other CF members is appreciated and I hope you and others such as DENVERD0N will continue to post comments as I post more boats or others do (you are encouraged to do so too).
Old 21-10-2016, 10:51   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Steady, great thread

Personally I like the Freedom cat ketch rigged center boards. They are in the sub 4 foot draft class. Many can be found in the 28-40 foot range and most are 40k or less.
Me too! The Freedom boats with centerboards are appealing to me for several reasons, but the shallow draft aspects are surely key in this thread.
Old 21-10-2016, 10:54   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS V CLEMENT View Post
I have a Gulfstar 41. She draws 5 feet. She is comfortable for two couples, and yet can be singlehanded if properly laid out. Mine is not for sale, but there are a number of them available on the Gulf Coast from $25,000 to $75,000 depending on age and condition.
Thanks for posting what you did. Yours is a perfect example of posting a boat MODEL, PHOTOS, DRAFT, ASKING PRICES, and COMMENTS on suitability.

Thanks for that!

Tags
Bahamas, Blue Water boats, centerboard, Chesapeake, draft, florida, florida keys, shallow draft, swing keel