Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 22-10-2022, 14:38   #4036
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I rebuilt the engine in my Hallberg Rassy which was a Westerbeke 46 (aka Mitsubishi) Although I have my own Machine Shop, I didn't have honing equipment or centers to polish journals and valve grinding. I was able to do everything else. With most but not all engines, if it's an Industrial based motor, inexpensive kits are available. I would guess outside labor and you assembling plus the kit, you would be out about $3500. Not bad for a $5-$6k boat.
Not bad at all as my father in law was a diesel mechanic for ever I have access to all the fun toys for rebuilding .
Old 22-10-2022, 14:43   #4037

1982 Ron Holland designed 36 ft Ericson sailboat. I've run out of steam after 22 years of owning this sailboat. I've done all of the hard work if someone is looking to go on a sailing adventure...
1) Peeled and re-fiber glassed the hull using West System and vacuum bagged it using 2 layers of biaxial glass.
2) Faired the entire hull with epoxy fairing compound and finish with 2 layers of epoxy barrier coat. (was told by a professional boat painter that it was one of the finest jobs he had ever seen).
3) Rebuilt rudder with additional steel in the internal frame and new foam core.
4) Installed Jefa rudder bearings (top and bottom) with new rudder tube and additional re-enforcement using fiberglass 1/2 inch board and west system.
5) Repowered with a Yanmar GM30F low hour engine (~200 hour).
6) All new thru hulls and sea cocks with 1/2 inch fiber glass backing plates (bolted).
7) All woodwork has been rebuilt in the interior that needed it including new 3/4 inch teak and holly plywood floor with hatches to most of the bilge.
8) Installed Vacuum insulated ice box lid and stainless-steel countertop.
9) Installed Victron Inverter/Charger.
11) Fiber glassed in wood backing and fitted all main cabin and Vee berth wood ceiling base panels.
12) Replaced the acrylic hatch glass with polycarbonate.
13) Replaced acrylic port glass with safety glass.
14) Installed new holding tank and waste lines.
15) Had hull painted with Awl Grip.
16) Installed custom 2 inch teak rub rails.
17) Had new foam cushions made for interior (main cabin, vee berth, and quarter berth).
18) Custom stern railing with built in seats (still have originals).
19) Built a custom fuel filter sliding holder so they can easily be changed.
20) Custom access door for sink cabinet.

I'm sure there is stuff I'm forgetting. I was outfitting this boat to go off on an extended sailing adventure. I have a ton of stuff I'll throw in with it. Currently the mast is off the boat and needs to be painted. There is still stuff that needs finishing. The boat is near Huntsville Alabama. I know even in pristine condition that this boat will not sell for anything close to its replacement cost. Make me an offer after seeing the boat.

For someone that wants to truly go on a sailing adventure or doesn't want to have to do all this to another boat, this boat has had all of the hard stuff done.

Thanks,
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OnLift.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	266193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painted.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	266194  

Name:	Yanmar.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	266195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Victron.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	266196  

Name:	RudderBottom.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	266197   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThruHulls.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	266198  

eomzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 15:01   #4038
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I met Ron Holland. I didn’t know he designed the Ericsson. Interesting
Old 22-10-2022, 22:31   #4039

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Beautiful boat Eomzat...Ron Holland can design a boat that looks like it's surfing, standing still.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 09:41   #4040

Nice. You found the unicorn!
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 17:27   #4041

It should be anytime now when we will start seeing these pages filled with the recent hurricane damaged boats.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 23-10-2022, 17:47   #4042

Quote:
It should be anytime now when we will start seeing these pages filled with the recent hurricane damaged boats.

Theyre hitting the boat selling sites already. Beneteau's etc.. 40-60 feet etc with alllllmost no water damage.. reeeeally good deals.. just need maybe new masts rigging and a little fiberglass work on the big hole in the hull...
Old 23-10-2022, 19:48   #4043

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
Theyre hitting the boat selling sites already. Beneteau's etc.. 40-60 feet etc with alllllmost no water damage.. reeeeally good deals.. just need maybe new masts rigging and a little fiberglass work on the big hole in the hull...
Which sites are you seeing them?
Old 24-10-2022, 08:42   #4044

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I met Ron Holland. I didn’t know he designed the Ericsson. Interesting
He designed two sailboats for Ericson a 33 and the 36, there were only like 32 of the 36's made. They are very unique boats they have a massive internal fiber glass frame that runs from stem to stern making the hull extremely strong.
eomzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 12:15   #4045

Boattrader or boats.com i think? Not a huge number but at least 3 or 4 in the very specific ranges im looking at..ie over e5 feet..25 to 100k cruisers and cats. I was pretty bummed about the 200k boat gping for like 75 when it mentioned the "some fiberglass work needed on the hull before going in the water"
Old 25-10-2022, 13:41   #4046

Quote:
Which sites are you seeing them?
Actually here's one
https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...is-50-6946238/
Honestly seems like a good price to me at that assuming it doesnt have a giant hole in the hull
and this
https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...s-440-6946246/
Old 25-10-2022, 15:43   #4047
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I'm trying to talk myself out of buying this one I owned a sistership years ago cried when I sold her .
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/7537059953.html
Well it sold today but not to me
Old 29-10-2022, 13:55   #4048

I am the new owner of an '88 Hunter Legend 35.

My admittedly untrained eye thinks it is in pretty fair shape.

The good-

Good running diesel.

Sails not new, but perfectly good for cruising.

Hull seems to be in great shape. A scuff here and there, new bottom paint.

Running rigging a few years old, but looks good. Standing rigging is at least 22 years old, but looks fantastic. Other older boats I have looked at generally have some indication of corrosion. I see none on this boat. This tells me the owner has done a good job keeping it clean. I realize that "looks good" is not a sufficient test if I had blue water aspirations, but I think it's fine for close coastal cruising.

Interior looks good. A bit of weathering around companionway, but nothing a little sanding/oil won't fix. Cushions reupholstered a few years ago.

Deck seems very solid. One small area a little soft. Will likely try the injected epoxy fix or may just live with it for now.

Functional furuno radar, 2 VHFs and an older GPS.

The bad-

Rudder bearings a little sloppy. Plan to do them this winter while it is on the hard.

Is there a way to assess the rudder internally short of cutting it open and having a look? I am an xray repair tech. I am half tempted to run it through an xray. I would think that corrosion would show up as it changes the density of the metal.

The ugly-

Hunter, to save a couple of dollars used regular steel chainplate anchors. These hide behind the liner. Mine look to be pretty well corroded.

Upon finding this issue (after handing over the check!!!!) I became a bit worried, but after researching the issue and the fix (cutting a hole in the liner and replacing them) I am confident I can make it better than new, for short money and not too much of my time.

So, what did I pay for it?

I first looked at it back in May. Seller was asking 12K. I offered 10 and he accepted. I thought this price was more than fair.

He wouldn't take the deposit I offered.

He should have.

After going home and researching the cost of keeping it and coming across an opportunity to have unlimited use of a friend's Pearson 27 in exchange for helping him sort out a few issues, I decided to withdraw my offer to buy.

I assumed it would sell this past summer. It almost did a few times, but a few weeks ago as I am scrolling through the craigslist ads, there it is. 8K obo.

Hummmm. I really didn't need to see that!!!!!

So I messaged him.

Hi Barry, this is Pete, the guy who backed out of the sale this spring. I see it's back up. I am still interested.

To be honest, I wasn't THAT interested and would have passed at 8K.

A couple days later he texts me that he has an offer for 4500. Beat it and it's mine!

Damn. I really dont need to this boat now....but this guy is doing a pretty good Don Corleone imitation. He's making me an offer I can't refuse.

I probably could have been an a-hole and offered him 4550, but this guy has been completely honest with me all along and I still felt a little guilty for reneging on my original offer to buy. So I offered him 4800.

I am also on the hook for this winter's storage and launch next May ($1925).

So, did I screw up?

I realize that buying a boat without a survey is a crapshoot. My personal opinion on surveys is you'd be a fool to pass on one if you are buying a boat for 50K or even 25K.

But for under 7K?

This is money I can afford to lose and I would rather put that thousand bucks, give'r'take towards the boat.

In the end it came down to my feel for the owner. He seems like a very honest person who had a perfectly plausible reason for selling. He says his knees are shot so he bought a powerboat last year and the admiral laid down the one boat rule.

If there is anyone in the Newburyport, MA area familiar with these boats, I would love to have you take a look so you can congratulate/ridicule me for my decision to buy this thing. I will provide the beverage of your choice for an hour or two of your time.

Would also like to hear from anyone who's done the rudder bearing job an a Legend 35/37....
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 14:22   #4049

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)

Congratulations! Nothing ventured nothing gained. I rolled the dice on my purchase as well.... if I sail in the spring I did well, if not, well, I will have learnt alot. For my purchase it's the unknown engine that will be the challenge. I bought the boat for almost nothing, knowing I might have to repower. As I go through the systems, I have my work cut out, if I get the motor functional I'm ahead, if not I'm still good. No survey here either, doesn't make sense under $20k ish, to me anyway.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 15:34   #4050

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I am the new owner of an '88 Hunter Legend 35.

Running rigging a few years old, but looks good. Standing rigging is at least 22 years old, but looks fantastic. Other older boats I have looked at generally have some indication of corrosion. I see none on this boat. This tells me the owner has done a good job keeping it clean. I realize that "looks good" is not a sufficient test if I had blue water aspirations, but I think it's fine for close coastal cruising.

Sounds like you found a good deal. Congrats.

If it where me, I would immediately replace all the standing rigging. 22 years is a looong time to keep wire in the boat. Loosing the mast suddenly will be a considerably more expensive proposition than saving a few bucks by trusting old wire. Typically wire breaks suddenly and gives little warning. Corrosion isn’t the issue with stainless, so you can’t depend on lack of corrosion as a signal. Standing rigging, particularity swayed stainless breaks at the top of the stage when it has flexed one to many times. Little bit like bending a coat hanger wire until it breaks…. To many cycles and bang, you loose a shroud. Google life expectancy of standing rigging to find out what the current manufacturer recommendations are for replacement times… ( I don’t remember, it used to be 7 years ocean service. But that was years ago…)

Everybody pays winter layup and launch fees. Routine expense. Wouldn’t worry about it much. Except it hits the wallet every year.

Re: Rudder bearing looseness- hard to tell from your description. Could be the rudder stock has wobbled out the shoe at the bottom of the rudder - or the rudder shelf itself has worn a bit at one of the pintels. Check to see if your rudder shaft is hollow tube or solid round stock. Boats not that old, so Likely not corroded within the layup itself- but start with a good inspection and check your attachment points first, before doing anything drastic…

Good luck, have fun with your new boat.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price