Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 17-02-2022, 06:33   #3691
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
1972 Morgan outislander
$22,500
Listed 3 weeks ago in Savannah, GA

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...58214402030919
Seller's Description
36Ft 1972 Morgan OutIslander! Retractable center board. 2 1/2 ft draft center board up
I read C. Morgan preferred centerboards but dealers didn't want them but were an early option. I thought the draft would be the same either way with board up? Clean looking boat looks like newer paint. Non slip looks slippery?
As you say, clean looking boat. I'm not sure about 2.5 ft draft either. Look at the picture of the boat out of the water - it looks to be at least 3.5 feet judging by the size of that Rubbermaid bin.

Large, older boats with centreboards sometimes need work on the mechanism, you'd need to test it in the water.

These boats have roomy interiors, but you pay for it with more freeboard, and very narrow side decks with not much gunwhale. Getting into a dinghy from this would be exciting for some people! Going forward from the center cockpit in a blow would be fun

I like the large centre cockpit, good all-round view for the helm. The canvas enclosure looks good, but you'd have to take the forward part off to work on the mast.

CQR anchor with windlass, probably manual. Davits are a bonus.

The solar array looks rickety. I wouldn't go out to sea with that arrangement. It might be new; the panels in the picture have no connection to the electrical system, and most pictures don't show them at all.

The interior looks comfortable. Only a few of the ports seem to be opening.
The aft cabin is useful. The inside upholstery looks like a decent amateur job. Has someone has varnished the 1970s plastic laminate? (It would be better to paint it white, imo).

(Key tip when taking photos of your boat: keep your pack of smokes out of the picture!)

Like many boats of this era, the electrical system appears to be an afterthought - the panel is tucked away under the companionway behind the fridge. Hopefully there's access from inside a cockpit locker too.

Two heads with showers? Were these boats used in the charter business?

Yeah the deck's painted with something shiny but if it doesn't have non-skid, you can fix that with a can of Kiwigrip and some masking tape (unsolicited testimonial!)

This looks like a very comfortable liveaboard or coastal cruiser-type boat, not a fast sail. Lots of storage. The state of the engine and sails are important, as always.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 07:01   #3692

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
As you say, clean looking boat. I'm not sure about 2.5 ft draft either. Look at the picture of the boat out of the water - it looks to be at least 3.5 feet judging by the size of that Rubbermaid bin.

Large, older boats with centreboards sometimes need work on the mechanism, you'd need to test it in the water.

These boats have roomy interiors, but you pay for it with more freeboard, and very narrow side decks with not much gunwhale. Getting into a dinghy from this would be exciting for some people! Going forward from the center cockpit in a blow would be fun

I like the large centre cockpit, good all-round view for the helm. The canvas enclosure looks good, but you'd have to take the forward part off to work on the mast.

CQR anchor with windlass, probably manual. Davits are a bonus.

The solar array looks rickety. I wouldn't go out to sea with that arrangement. It might be new; the panels in the picture have no connection to the electrical system, and most pictures don't show them at all.

The interior looks comfortable. Only a few of the ports seem to be opening.
The aft cabin is useful. The inside upholstery looks like a decent amateur job. Has someone has varnished the 1970s plastic laminate? (It would be better to paint it white, imo).

(Key tip when taking photos of your boat: keep your pack of smokes out of the picture!)

Like many boats of this era, the electrical system appears to be an afterthought - the panel is tucked away under the companionway behind the fridge. Hopefully there's access from inside a cockpit locker too.

Two heads with showers? Were these boats used in the charter business?

Yeah the deck's painted with something shiny but if it doesn't have non-skid, you can fix that with a can of Kiwigrip and some masking tape (unsolicited testimonial!)

This looks like a very comfortable liveaboard or coastal cruiser-type boat, not a fast sail. Lots of storage. The state of the engine and sails are important, as always.
I think the varnish/ poly on the old paneling is an improvement. Those panels they used then always looked cheap and plastic. I did see some of these boats that had a large fold up swim platform on the stern that looks really functional. Besides the state of sails and engine not mentioned I wonder if it's on the cheap side and maybe a scam. Someone put a lot of work in paint jobs on it. If those items were good it is a good buy. The 33 is big enough for me but could go with a 36. For West Coast Florida especially the Nature coast Tarpon Springs to Apalachicola there is no intercoastal water way and lots of shallows miles and miles offshore. But a huge cruising ground thats sparsely populated. Mostly the wilds ashore, with the rivers having shallow unreliable entrances . But you may need to get into their shelter when storms pop up..Maybe a good area to escape civilization, and still be able to get to services in a day or two sail. The capsize ratio is 1.82 which might help a single hander when the unprepared for big gust hits. One of those it could work for me boats.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 07:07   #3693
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
I've been watching this one for a while, because I like the Pearson 424s. The price dropped on this one twice in the last month, putting it just under $30K now.
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1980...n-424-7929998/
From the ad:
"The boat has been sitting on the hard for 10 years. Needs a good cleaning. Every system should be gone over. Hull and rigging looks to be in good shape. Will require some wood replacement where there was some leaks that caused damage. Engine will require servicing due to diesel fuel sitting in the tank and engines."
Oh man. What a waste. That was a nice boat in its day! I think the price will continue to drop until the greater fool comes along

The boat's been standing, uncovered, on the hard for 10 years with the masts up? People should look after their toys better. At least the sails were taken off...sigh.

Assume you have to replace everything that's not made of aluminum alloy, stainless or bronze. And perhaps the rigging too. You could spend $50K and have a boat worth <$50K. Sails alone will be half of that, if needed.

If you're serious, JoeRobertJr, I suggest a real lowball offer, iff you like hard work

Good luck!
Old 17-02-2022, 07:17   #3694
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
If you're serious, JoeRobertJr, I suggest a real lowball offer, iff you like hard work
Good luck!
Yeah, that one is too much of a project for me. There are three other Pearson 424 on the market in better shape. I don't mind doing some repairs and improvements, but I do want to be able to use the boat right away.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 07:22   #3695
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
I think the varnish/ poly on the old paneling is an improvement. Those panels they used then always looked cheap and plastic. I did see some of these boats that had a large fold up swim platform on the stern that looks really functional. Besides the state of sails and engine not mentioned I wonder if it's on the cheap side and maybe a scam. Someone put a lot of work in paint jobs on it. If those items were good it is a good buy. The 33 is big enough for me but could go with a 36. For West Coast Florida especially the Nature coast Tarpon Springs to Apalachicola there is no intercoastal water way and lots of shallows miles and miles offshore. But a huge cruising ground thats sparsely populated. Mostly the wilds ashore, with the rivers having shallow unreliable entrances . But you may need to get into their shelter when storms pop up..Maybe a good area to escape civilization, and still be able to get to services in a day or two sail. The capsize ratio is 1.82 which might help a single hander when the unprepared for big gust hits. One of those it could work for me boats.
Re: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...58214402030919

I definitely agree about the varnish as relatively better, but you should see how great that old laminate looks with a couple of coats of good shiny white paint. Completely changes the RV/coffin impression

Obviously, you always have to beware of scams, but that boat looks like a good match for the region you describe. Most of the time you'd live in the big cockpit, anyway, including at a marina.
Old 17-02-2022, 07:41   #3696
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Yeah, that one is too much of a project for me. There are three other Pearson 424 on the market in better shape. I don't mind doing some repairs and improvements, but I do want to be able to use the boat right away.
They are excellent boats, in basic design. Large interior, great galley layout, two separate compartments for crew quarters, including a second companionway ladder and hatch.

We know of a family that took one of these to Europe and beyond. Very well built and expensive in their day. You rarely see one in "our" price range!
Old 18-02-2022, 06:20   #3697

Going to look at this Roughwater 33 today 19.5k Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	large_3352170 (1).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	253149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roughwater 33.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	253150  

JFazzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 07:25   #3698
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFazzio View Post
Interesting boat! Very handsome. I've never seen one of these before and I'd be interested to see more photos, especially inside.

It somewhat depends on your intended use, of course.

Lots of good gear. Newish engine is great.

It's good that it doesn't have teak decks, imo. The side deck bulwarks and caprail look newly sanded - were there leaks in the caprail? If not, there might be, there is usually a cavity between the inner and outer bulwark that leads into the inside of the boat, so keeping water out isn't hard, but needs maintenance to the teak.

Check the wooden hatches and ports for needed repairs/rebedding.

This is a small boat for the type, canoe stern, full keel. It has tiller steering, no cockpit shelter, no coaming, no real cockpit - just a well in the flush deck. This will make for a wet ride at sea.

I like it. The price is good; what's the downside?
Old 18-02-2022, 07:29   #3699

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

Same vessel as the Aries 32 which was built a little earlier. I have seen a few on the left coast here. I have seen one sailing while I was sailing on the Monterey Bay. It moved along pretty well. I was later onboard. Not a lot of interior room. The Disp/length and Ballast/Disp are definitely in the cruiser range. Comfort ratio is really good for a 32ft. boat.
Someone put some money into this boat which indicates they stayed on top of the maintenance also.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 07:42   #3700

Thanks yes the hatches and teak will need some work. Agreed that it will need a dodger.
JFazzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 10:16   #3701
SuW

Quote:
Thanks yes the hatches and teak will need some work. Agreed that it will need a dodger.
I'm not an expert in dodger design; I've made a couple though. The place where the dinghy is presently stowed would prevent the front of a dodger from being attached. You can't practically button it to the sliding hatch. You could move the dinghy to the foredeck, perhaps. Or get an inflatable instead.

A cheap thing to do would be to add in lee cloths around the back of the boat.
Old 18-02-2022, 10:23   #3702

Boat: Pearson P-35

Quote:
The comments that the others have posted are all relevant and should be kept in mind, but overall, it looks like a really nice boat.

Best of luck!
Old 18-02-2022, 10:40   #3703

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Interesting boat! Very handsome. I've never seen one of these before and I'd be interested to see more photos, especially inside.
Here's what appears to be an older ad with pictures when the price was $29,500.

https://www.yatco.com/yacht/33-rough...fornia-274057/
Old 18-02-2022, 11:35   #3704

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

[QUOTE=SuW;3577240 You could move the dinghy to the foredeck, perhaps. Or get an inflatable instead.
A cheap thing to do would be to add in lee cloths around the back of the boat.[/QUOTE]

Hard dinghy's on a boat under 40ft. is a PITA. A hard dinghy on the cabin roof makes it impossible to see forward. On the fore deck, impossible to access the windlass and head sail.A fair alternative is an inflatable. But then you get inflatable maintenance issues. A Porta Boat is a good alternative lashed to the stantions and stays.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 11:43   #3705

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

There was one around here a couple years ago. Quite a sexy looking thing that polished up beautifully. Not very roomy at all, but would make a singlehander happy, or a young couple.

A couple threads here

Does anyone here own or know about the Roughwater 33? https://www.cruisersforum.comforums › does-anyone-h...

Opinions on a Roughwter 33 please - Cruisers & Sailing Forums https://www.cruisersforum.com › forums › opinions-on...
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price