Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 19-01-2022, 09:35   #3541

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Good Lord! $320,000! It is an absolutely beautiful boat though! I'd be afraid to take it out of the shed, or let my kids walk on it! In bare feet!
The boat is stunning,...

But the asking price is insanity.
MyCatLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 10:26   #3542

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Good Lord! $320,000! It is an absolutely beautiful boat though! I'd be afraid to take it out of the shed, or let my kids walk on it! In bare feet!
Looks like it has been for sale even before it was finished.
Originally offered at $525k Canadian, then reduced to $450k Canadian in late 2016.

Building a 34 ft Lyle Hess Falmouth Cutter: Lyle Hess 34ft Falmouth Cutter ASTRID For Sale

Now 5 years later and offered for $399K Canadian.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/201...-hess-8094088/

At this rate I may be able to afford her in another 15 years.
Old 19-01-2022, 10:42   #3543
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Yeah, It's what economists call a Veblen good.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 11:04   #3544
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcranky View Post
1988 35.5' Hunter Legend $22,000
Indiantown Marina, Florida

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/79681
This is a nice boat. They sail well. There appears to be a genuine story: read the linked survey and work completed texts.

Something like this is good for Caribbean cruising, I'd say. Still needs some work, worth doing only if you could handle it yourself.

You could safely eat off the underside of the engine compartment
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 11:08   #3545
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramron67 View Post
Whoa! That is a gorgeous boat. 😲
My only thought is, who has the time to keep all of that brightwork in such good condition?
I did some electrical work on that boat. My first thought was that it was too perfect to use - a showpiece. Built by a master woodworker, even his shop was perfect.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/201...-hess-8094088/
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 12:22   #3546
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: 1964 Grampian US 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
Capt Who,

Did you find out any more about this boat? I looked it up in sailboatdata and I really liked the layout. The more I look at it the more I like it.

Just curiosity on my part.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 18:20   #3547

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)

I was writing back and forth with the owner, perused all the pics on fb, read up as much as I could. Apparently Grampian made the US41 which was a yawl, and this one is a ketch...barely. owner never got back to me as to whether it had a CB, or the rudder deployable extension (rudder cb?) which was interesting to me as I remain fond of the adaptability of CB (the rudder one meh, although maybe it's a genuis idea ahead of it's time).
Anyhow, someone beat me to it, well was willing to put money down with possibly more information than me...boat is sold...according to now previous owner.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 19:38   #3548
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Patrick,

Thanks
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 20:34   #3549

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
1978 Northstar 48 Ketch

1978 Northstar 48 Ketch - $19,000 (Wilmington CA)

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...435180791.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 07:33   #3550
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoke View Post
I have a boat that meets the less than $30K requirement for sale. Is it OK to post it on this thread?
Thanks.
Yes. It is OK for an owner to post a boat in this thread, if it is a cruising boat that has an ASKING price of $30K or less.

But, I strongly encourage you to first read the first couple of posts in this thread (on page one), so you can get some tips on how to present the info on your boat, including photos, description of new gear, location, etc. That kind of info is helpful to newbies. Posting just a link is not as helpful, nor is it encouraged. Provide more info about the boat, its design etc.

That's my view of how this discussion was started, of course others may see things differently.

But, I am not a Moderator for CF, and they may encourage you to make a post in the Classifieds section instead. I suggest you do both.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 07:41   #3551
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: 1976 Dencho cf37 sailboat $13,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Another racing boat. Spartan interior. Probably a lot of sails and small tanks. Deepish draft for coastal cruising. Nice smooth bottom!
On Lake Michigan.
Day sailing, weekend racer-cruiser. Probably a good family boat for a racing enthusiast.

Yes. My thoughts too. I would not want to cruise in them.

While an old racing boat may be less expensive to buy initially, I suspect there will be higher costs (and tradeoffs) later, due to stressed condition, old sails, lack of tankage (you mentioned), and other issues.

For one thing, many lack opening ports (something I would want for tropical cruising.

Another thing: some have low trunk cabins, or less (and may have little storage, small lockers inside, rudimentary heads and galleys, etc.

I think this thread is better served with more "cruising" oriented boats, rather than racing boats, though there are of course exceptions. No hard rules, just some opinion.
Old 20-01-2022, 08:02   #3552
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

1979 C&C Landfall 38

ASKING PRICE = US$29,900

LOCATION = Islamorada Florida USA

LISTING LINK: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1979-c$c-landfall-38-7836603/

STEADMAN'S QUICK OBSERVATIONS:

This boat's layout has always appealed to me. I like the layout and design for these reasons:
1. Head and galley amidships
2. Head looks spacious (I think this would appeal to liveaboard or couples)
3. I like the galley, with cabinets, and notice the stainless handrail.
4. I like how the aft berths are located and how they look. Looking at the photos in this ad, the spaces look clean and comfortable for sleeping.
5. I like the use of wood in the interior.
6. Draft is 4.92 feet

A quick look over the photos in this ad gave me the impression this boat is:
1. In nice condition
2. Clean (looks like recent upholstery in the interior)
3. Well equipped for Florida or Caribbean cruising with newer electronics including RADAR
4. Has several features in the cockpit area that make for comfort (Bimini, Dodger, BBQ, Rail Seat, cushions, etc.
5. Not sure if the hard bottom dinghy is included, but that would be nice if so
6. has swim ladder on stern
7. Engine looks clean(er) than most old boats

8. Self-tailing primary winches
9. Dorade vents near the mast

My overall impression is this boat looks like it was recently renovated or updated and kept clean. It looks like it is in better condition than many others of this age.

In short, this boat may be close to "ready to go" at this price point.

NOTE: See earlier posts in this long thread (see first few pages) for more examples of this boat, with following comments about hull construction etc.
As always, take my comments with a splash of saltwater. I am not a boat builder, and I have NO connection to this boat or its owner or broker. I am not the most experienced sailor on CF and do not claim any expertise.

I am sharing my opinion on boats, based on my own likes and my personal experience (so far 8,150 offshorepassage miles) sailing on a wide variety of boats (from oldies to new million dollar boats).

I have some personal preferences too. I tend to like classic styled boats. I like traditional styling. I appreciate good looks, use of wood, fiberglass hulls, and comforts.

For the purposes of this discussion topic, I am sharing boats that are inexpensive ( Less than $30K), or may be within the budget of many people. I am merely sharing something in this discussion thread that I saw and thought might interest some CF Members.

I also know that not every sailboat buyer is going to take their boat on a circumnavigation, and some never spend much time in "blue water." For some buyers/owners, it is OK to simply have a boat at the dock. Or one to live on at anchor. So, different boats for different folks. 

And there is no shame in wanting to own a boat that may not be ready for blue water or ocean crossing. Most sailboat owners fall into that category. We can all enjoy boats for different reasons. 

I hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 9.22.17 AM.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	251568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 9.23.45 AM.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	251569  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 9.23.53 AM.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	251570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 9.24.48 AM.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	251571  

Old 20-01-2022, 08:07   #3553
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Just one to add to the mix - my boat education was spending 5 years bringing a steel ketch back to life. When it came time to sell, the interest was pretty significant and a lot of it came down to the boat not looking like a steel boat... it had a smooth, rolled hull (goodness knows what the original cost was) and the deck fittings were bolted on post-paint, avoiding that DIY finish.

The boat was eventually sold to a couple who still keep in touch, and 11 years after starting the refit I see it’s just finished another Med crossing. Always worth keeping in mind the re-sale possibilities when discussing an initial purchase price.

N
That is an attractive boat.
I like what I see (hull and pilothouse too!)
Old 20-01-2022, 08:23   #3554
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: 1976 Dencho cf37 sailboat $13,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Yes. My thoughts too. I would not want to cruise in them.

While an old racing boat may be less expensive to buy initially, I suspect there will be higher costs (and tradeoffs) later, due to stressed condition, old sails, lack of tankage (you mentioned), and other issues.

For one thing, many lack opening ports (something I would want for tropical cruising.

Another thing: some have low trunk cabins, or less (and may have little storage, small lockers inside, rudimentary heads and galleys, etc.

I think this thread is better served with more "cruising" oriented boats, rather than racing boats, though there are of course exceptions. No hard rules, just some opinion.

ADDENDUM

*As I wrote that line, I remembered Delancey and how he cruised in an old racer/cruiser design (as I recall it was a C&C 40).

So my comment I made a few minutes ago (up above in thread) is made as a general one, and more specifically about some "racing boats" rather than some racer/cruiser designs that can be nice or modified for cruising.

There is a spectrum of boats that includes "racing only" to "racer/cruiser" boats, with some having more cruising features than others. And most of the CCA boats were "racer/cruiser" designs.

And, owners can modify (add features) to make some old racing designs more comfortable too.

So, I mean no slight to those who have done so, or will do so.

Saying that, another boat comes to mind, that yellow hulled former racing boat (on the Pacific, was in San Francisco Bay, later moved up to Seattle or Vancouver area as I recall....name was something like "Ducky" as I recall. it was modified with many nice features...but the name of the CF member and owner escapes my memory now...been a few years...but I admired that boat, his modification skills, etc.
Old 20-01-2022, 08:51   #3555

Boat: Sceptre 41

Landfall 38:

That looks like a great deal for a nice boat. Not sure about the engine.

We owned a LF38 for 7 years, and loved her. This one looks identical (in layout) to ours.

Things to consider:
- The hull is balsa cored, so it needs to be checked for water ingress. (We found out the hard way... $$)
- the V-berth is too short for tall people (>6ft)
- the so-called "double" quarter berth on the port side is too narrow for 2 adults (but very comfortable for 1 tall adult, as is the single starboard quarter berth)
- there is no real "nav station/nav desk"
- the head is large, but "wet" for showers (no separate shower stall). Its location is excellent.
- icebox insulation may be very poor (we tore ours apart and found <1" insulation with several gaps)
- main salon is large and great for entertaining.

A good boat. Sails great.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price