Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2022, 05:41   #3436
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

I came to sailing late in life, mid-50’s. Now 71. When I am doing this or that I often think back to those early years and how mystified I was. I find it rather amusing how much I have learned rather late in life.

If you want to learn, if learning gives your life meaning then most any boat will do. And you don’t have to learn everything, there are some fundamentals of course. I don’t want to learn programming and Pi computers, so I don’t. There is plenty else to amuse me.

For me learning keeps me young and interested and motivated.

Any boat can be your classroom. Just pick one.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:14   #3437
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Yes, I agree with mitiempo. Very nice. Finding an owner who keeps a boat well is great.

It's very small, but potentially a good single-hander (not set up for cockpit control of running rigging yet). As a liveaboard it would be tight.

No bimini, no dinghy. Tiller steering. Large Bruce anchor.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:32   #3438
mdc

Boat: 1982 Tayana 37 & 1961 Pearson Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Yes, I agree with mitiempo. Very nice. Finding an owner who keeps a boat well is great.

It's very small, but potentially a good single-hander (not set up for cockpit control of running rigging yet). As a liveaboard it would be tight.

No bimini, no dinghy. Tiller steering. Large Bruce anchor.

Looks like it has a tillerpilot.

This boat would be easy to single hand as is. simple is good.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:10   #3439

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I came to sailing late in life, mid-50’s. Now 71. When I am doing this or that I often think back to those early years and how mystified I was. I find it rather amusing how much I have learned rather late in life.

If you want to learn, if learning gives your life meaning then most any boat will do. And you don’t have to learn everything, there are some fundamentals of course. I don’t want to learn programming and Pi computers, so I don’t. There is plenty else to amuse me.

Same here. I only learn what I need to know in life and also what brings joy and significance to my life. They are two separate categories. When people (non sailor) question me having a boat and ask if I'm sailing around the world, I just tell them I enjoy messing around boats. I enjoy being on the dock BSing or going to marine swap meets seeing the same ole souls I have seen for 30+ years. Here's a prime example...
https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...c-780edcb6a079
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 22:54   #3440

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
When people (non sailor) question me having a boat and ask if I'm sailing around the world, I just tell them I enjoy messing around boats. I enjoy being on the dock BSing or going to marine swap meets seeing the same ole souls I have seen for 30+ years.
Same here. Multi-day offshore passages just don’t do it for me anymore (I’ll take a flight and get there faster).

For me there’s nothing better than chatting with dockmates, tinkering on the boat, helping tinker on someone else’s boat, then going for a sail with a destination no more than a couple of hours away. Doesn’t matter if you do 1 or 7 kts, the trip is just as fun. My end goal cruising ground is between FL and the Bahamas, with trips on the ICW thrown in for good measure. Plenty of boats on this thread would be spot-on perfect for that.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 23:26   #3441

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Same here. Multi-day offshore passages just don’t do it for me anymore (I’ll take a flight and get there faster).

For me there’s nothing better than chatting with dockmates, tinkering on the boat, helping tinker on someone else’s boat, then going for a sail with a destination no more than a couple of hours away. Doesn’t matter if you do 1 or 7 kts, the trip is just as fun. My end goal cruising ground is between FL and the Bahamas, with trips on the ICW thrown in for good measure. Plenty of boats on this thread would be spot-on perfect for that.

N

Having been a member here for some time now, I have seen a lot of people with the "2 year plan", the "5 year plan", even the "10 year plan". They want to buy a $300,000 Cat because they just cannot see themselves on anything smaller or forbid, a mono-hull. I get it...people like to dream. I think Sterling Haydan put it best...
“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life? ”

― Sterling Hayden, Wanderer
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:43   #3442

Quote:
Having been a member here for some time now, I have seen a lot of people with the "2 year plan", the "5 year plan", even the "10 year plan". They want to buy a $300,000 Cat because they just cannot see themselves on anything smaller or forbid, a mono-hull. I get it...people like to dream. I think Sterling Haydan put it best...
“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.

You have just cost me another 2 dollars I'm now off to read that book

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life? ”

Just spent two bucks on that book ,now off to read it
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:52   #3443
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I wish there was a LIKE button on CF, because I LIKE what is said below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:04   #3444

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by laird View Post
Just spent two bucks on that book ,now off to read it
You'll enjoy it, first read it decades ago.
For Sterling, being a Hollywood actor was just a way to get some money and then take time off for another adventure.
It's quite apparent from the book that he was a total "Romantic" at heart, why else would somebody join the OSS and go behind enemy lines in WWII knowing that he would be immediately shot as a spy should he be captured.
When Irving Johnston was voyaging around the world Sterling was his first mate.
He did know about being broke.
Stranded in Tahiti without enough money to pay the port fees or buy food for the return voyage back to the US, he borrowed money from the author Ernest Gann to be able to sail back,, Spike Africa was his first mate.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:27   #3445
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ROBERTS 45 (Fiberglass or Steel??)

LOCATION = Mobile Alabama USA
ASKING PRICE = $30K

LINK TO LISTING: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...-deck-7528966/

FROM THE BROKER: "The ketch rig give you the sail flexibility needed for the variation in weather one can experience while passage making. it is equipped with radar, GPS, SSB, VHF, wind generator. The flush deck and full deck awning"

STEADY'S NOTES:
I took a quick look at this listing today. I know nothing about this boat other than what is in the listing. Why share it here in CF? Because this may suit someone who wants a large hull/deck for livea-board use (and possible cruising). This boat is 45 feet and flush deck. That provides space on deck and below decks.

The listing info says something about "These steel hull Bruce Roberts are noted for being literal "Ice Breaker" and Messy Monique is no exception." But then the listing says the hull material is "fiberglass." You will need to confirm which with the broker.

LIKES?
I like a flush deck boat, because a large flush deck can provide space on deck for "sunbathing" (if you like to cruise with companions), and room for toys (kayaks, paddleboards, surfboards), and room for a dinghy on deck. A flush deck also usually provides more headroom and volume below decks.

DISLIKES?
Flush deck boats can be dark inside, due to lack of overhead hatches or a raised cabin top. This boat has numerous portlights along the hull. But, it also has a rather dark interior paint or upholstery (looks like padded vinyl buttoned to the bulkheads) and a color scheme of what appears to be black and blue. I would change all of that to a light color or white.

As for the mechanical aspects and rig, Buyer Beware.

As I always say: Caveat Emptor.

However, if one is looking for a large hull/boat that could serve as a liveaboard (in marina or anchor out), this may be something to consider.

ADVICE TO NEWBIES:

I would negotiate a lower price, based on condition and make sure you get a good surveyor to look it over, sea trial the engine etc.

The thing about Roberts designed boats is that they are generally "DIY" boats built in backyards by first time boat builders (not always). So, the quality of the build will be dependent on the skills and materials used by the original builder, and then the maintenance of the boat by owners. Just be aware that the market for this kind of boat may be limited to people who want something "big and cheap." That does not mean it won't make someone happy, but there may be fewer buyers for this kind of boat, and resale may be more difficult in the future.

To learn more about FLUSH DECK BOATS, please see the following discussion thread on CF. Read the first few posts, and then skim through the rest to see more styles, more builds, and more advice and comments from the experienced CF sailors.

FLUSH DECK BOATS: ILLUSTRATED GUIDE
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...de-175427.html

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

As always, take my comments with a splash of saltwater. I am not a boat builder, and I have NO connection to this boat or its owner or broker. I am merely sharing something in this discussion thread that I saw and thought might interest some CF Members.

I also know that not every sailboat buyer is going to take their boat on a circumnavigation, and some never spend much time in "blue water." For some buyers/owners, it is OK to simply have a boat at the dock. Or one to live on at anchor. So, different boats for different folks.

And there is no shame in wanting to own a boat that may not be ready for blue water or ocean crossing. Most sailboat owners fall into that category. We can all enjoy boats for different reasons.

I will add a screenshot image below. There are about 35 photos on the Yachtworld site for this boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 12.25.13 PM.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	251095  
Old 12-01-2022, 10:35   #3446

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:

I consider myself well-read—especially nautical yarns—and I've never heard of Sterling Hayden's Wanderer. Looking forward to giving it a read.
SailingHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:37   #3447
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
ROBERTS 45 (Fiberglass or Steel??)

LOCATION = Mobile Alabama USA
ASKING PRICE = $30K

LINK TO LISTING: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...-deck-7528966/

FROM THE BROKER: "The ketch rig give you the sail flexibility needed for the variation in weather one can experience while passage making. it is equipped with radar, GPS, SSB, VHF, wind generator. The flush deck and full deck awning"

STEADY'S NOTES:
I took a quick look at this listing today. I know nothing about this boat other than what is in the listing. Why share it here in CF? Because this may suit someone who wants a large hull/deck for livea-board use (and possible cruising). This boat is 45 feet and flush deck. That provides space on deck and below decks.

The listing info says something about "These steel hull Bruce Roberts are noted for being literal "Ice Breaker" and Messy Monique is no exception." But then the listing says the hull material is "fiberglass." You will need to confirm which with the broker.

LIKES?
I like a flush deck boat, because a large flush deck can provide space on deck for "sunbathing" (if you like to cruise with companions), and room for toys (kayaks, paddleboards, surfboards), and room for a dinghy on deck. A flush deck also usually provides more headroom and volume below decks.

DISLIKES?
Flush deck boats can be dark inside, due to lack of overhead hatches or a raised cabin top. This boat has numerous portlights along the hull. But, it also has a rather dark interior paint or upholstery (looks like padded vinyl buttoned to the bulkheads) and a color scheme of what appears to be black and blue. I would change all of that to a light color or white.

As for the mechanical aspects and rig, Buyer Beware.

As I always say: Caveat Emptor.

However, if one is looking for a large hull/boat that could serve as a liveaboard (in marina or anchor out), this may be something to consider.

ADVICE TO NEWBIES:

I would negotiate a lower price, based on condition and make sure you get a good surveyor to look it over, sea trial the engine etc.

The thing about Roberts designed boats is that they are generally "DIY" boats built in backyards by first time boat builders (not always). So, the quality of the build will be dependent on the skills and materials used by the original builder, and then the maintenance of the boat by owners. Just be aware that the market for this kind of boat may be limited to people who want something "big and cheap." That does not mean it won't make someone happy, but there may be fewer buyers for this kind of boat, and resale may be more difficult in the future.

To learn more about FLUSH DECK BOATS, please see the following discussion thread on CF. Read the first few posts, and then skim through the rest to see more styles, more builds, and more advice and comments from the experienced CF sailors.

FLUSH DECK BOATS: ILLUSTRATED GUIDE
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...de-175427.html

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

As always, take my comments with a splash of saltwater. I am not a boat builder, and I have NO connection to this boat or its owner or broker. I am merely sharing something in this discussion thread that I saw and thought might interest some CF Members.

I also know that not every sailboat buyer is going to take their boat on a circumnavigation, and some never spend much time in "blue water." For some buyers/owners, it is OK to simply have a boat at the dock. Or one to live on at anchor. So, different boats for different folks.

And there is no shame in wanting to own a boat that may not be ready for blue water or ocean crossing. Most sailboat owners fall into that category. We can all enjoy boats for different reasons.

I will add a screenshot image below. There are about 35 photos on the Yachtworld site for this boat.
A link?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:00   #3448
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

1974 Islander 44ft

ASKING PRICE = US$25,000
LOCATION Oxnard, California

Year 1974 (Hull was laid up in 1974 and boat was launched in 1976)

BROKER'S LISTING: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...er-44-8079480/

FROM THE BROKER:

Bill Lapworth design
Perkins 4108
Dimensions Length Overall: 44 ft Length At Waterline: 33 ft 6 in Beam: 11 ft 6 in Max Bridge Clearance: 54 ft Max Draft: 5 ft 10 in Weights Ballast: 8000 lb Displacement: 22500 lb Speed Cruising Speed: 7 kn at rpm Hull Speed: 8 kn at rpm Tanks Fuel: (70 gal) Fresh Water: (70 gal) Holding: (20 gal) Accomodations Single Berths: 2 Double Berths: 2 Cabins: 1 Heads: 1 Other Windlass: Electric Windlass Electrical Circuit: 12v 1974 Perkins 4108 (Engine 1) Engine Type: Inboard Fuel Type: Diesel Hours: 600 Power: 50 hp Drive Type: Direct Drive Propeller Type: 3 blade Propeller Material: Bronze Covers - Bimini Top - Spray Hood - Mainsail Cover - Lazy Bag - Lazyjacks - Genoa Cover Electrical Equipment - Shore Power Inlet Electronics - Depthsounder - Radar: Garmin - Log-Speedometer - Plotter: Garmin - Autopilot - Compass - GPS: Garmin - VHF Inside Equipment - Electric Bilge Pump - Oven - Marine Head - Heating: Wabasto diesel heater - Hot Water - Refrigerator - Fresh Water Maker: 4.5 gal per hr Outside Equipment/Extras - Cockpit Shower - Cockpit Cushions Rigging - Steering Wheel Sails - Battened Mainsail: New 2016 - Furling Genoa: New 2016

STEADY'S QUICK COMMENTS:

This is an old boat.
This is a long boat. (so remember dock fees $)
This is an inexpensive boat. (surprisingly low)
This is a "classic" boat from a respected designer.
This design looks "pretty" when viewed on the water (see sister photo below).
This boat has what appears to be a nicely kept interior. (see listing photos via link).
The boat appears to have been maintained and has several items that are desirable (heater, bimini, LazyJacks, Lazy Bag for main, Fresh Water Maker, relatively new sails (2016), furling, cushions, electric windlass, davits for a dinghy, etc.

For where this boat is located (Southern California) this is probably an "ideal" boat, designed for light wind sailing, and marina sitting, and having friends go for a weekend day's sailing, short cruises, and possibly more.

I like what I saw in this listing. Considering the age of the boat and the low asking price, AND the "goodies" included with the boat, it appears like it might be a very good fit for many people who want to have a boat for casual sailing and short cruises to Mexico or to the Channel Islands, etc. Or wine and cheese at the marina or in the bay. Or...

I will attach one photo from the listing (there are more, worth seeing), and a photo of an older (1968) sister ship, and a drawing or hull plan so you can see this classic boat's beauty.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

As always, take my comments with a splash of saltwater. I am not a boat builder, and I have NO connection to this boat or its owner or broker. I am not the most experienced sailor on CF.

I am sharing my opinion on boats, based on my own likes and experience (so far 8,150 offshore passage miles) sailing on a wide variety of boats (from oldies to new million dollar boats). I tend to like classic styled boats. I like traditional styling. I appreciate good looks, use of wood, fiberglass hulls, and comforts. For the purposes of this discussion topic, I am sharing boats that are inexpensive, or may be within the budget of many people. I am merely sharing something in this discussion thread that I saw and thought might interest some CF Members.

I hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 12.49.45 PM.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	251101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Islander 44 1968.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	251102  

Name:	islander_44_drawing.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	251103  
Old 12-01-2022, 11:10   #3449
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
A link?
I added the link to my post above. See the top section.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:25   #3450
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bristol B-40 (Sloop)

YEAR = 1972
ASKING PRICE = US$28,998
LOCATION = PANAMA, PANAMA

LINK TO LISTING: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...b--40-8000150/

ALSO SEE: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bristol-40

BROKER SAYS: "Has (new to boat in March) mainsail and cutaway furling jib from Bacon Sails. Motor has been well maintained, oil changed every 100 hours and fuel filters changed accordingly. Newly redone interior cushions. Propane oven/stove, magma grill on safety rail. Equipped with Mermaid A/C, Garmin GPS, Radar, 3 Gal Water heater, Macerator, both batteries replaced less than a year ago. Jib Halyard replaced 6 months ago. Bottom paint, shaft, Pedro hose, and cutlass bearing replaced 1 year ago. 10' semi rigid dinghy with 4H.P. Yamaha outboard.
Yanmar 3 cyl turbo 43 H.P.
2-70 gal water tanks 2-30 gal fuel tanks 1-10 gal black water 2 - 100W Solar Panels Simrad WP-30 autopilot (needs belt)

STEADY'S QUICK COMMENTS

This is one of those boat designs that always catches my eye.
Classic style.
There were 149 built (1970 - 1986)
There are fans of this design around the USA (and in Caribbean).
DRAFT = 5.37 feet

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

As always, take my comments with a splash of saltwater. I am not a boat builder, and I have NO connection to this boat or its owner or broker. I am not the most experienced sailor on CF.

I am sharing my opinion on boats, based on my own likes and experience (so far 8,150 offshore passage miles) sailing on a wide variety of boats (from oldies to new million dollar boats). I tend to like classic styled boats. I like traditional styling. I appreciate good looks, use of wood, fiberglass hulls, and comforts. For the purposes of this discussion topic, I am sharing boats that are inexpensive, or may be within the budget of many people. I am merely sharing something in this discussion thread that I saw and thought might interest some CF Members.

I hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 1.12.26 PM.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	251104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 1.12.49 PM.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	251105  

Name:	bristol_40_drawing.gif
Views:	67
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	251106  

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price