Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 27-11-2021, 10:36   #3121
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
1984 Morgan 384
38'$20,000
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1984...n-384-7869891/
Anyone seen this boat in person? Looks like it had some leaks, possible/probable delam?
A boat with a PHRF of just under 140, a go anywhere boat. Had good reviews .
This one has been for sale for a long time. If you see the photos look at the line in the wood at cabin top around ports. Is that from cabin top flexing/ delamination?
Hard to say. The listing says it's a project and "...boat needs extensive updating..."
Engine? Electronics (probably)? Electrical system? It would be nice if they specified their actual concerns.

I don't know about the wood interior next to the ports, hard to say. It appears cracked.

There is something going on in the V-berth in the overhead liner, possibly mold from condensation or leaks.

One important thing to do when visiting a boat is to take a deep sniff of the air that's been enclosed and think about it. It will tell you about mold, mildew, and sanitation issues!

I once visited a boat that was for sale and the owner's wife rushed in ahead of us, waving scented air fresher sheets around...not good. They made me sneeze and they made us very suspicious.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 11:32   #3122

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Hard to say. The listing says it's a project and "...boat needs extensive updating..."
Engine? Electronics (probably)? Electrical system? It would be nice if they specified their actual concerns.

I don't know about the wood interior next to the ports, hard to say. It appears cracked.

There is something going on in the V-berth in the overhead liner, possibly mold from condensation or leaks.

One important thing to do when visiting a boat is to take a deep sniff of the air that's been enclosed and think about it. It will tell you about mold, mildew, and sanitation issues!

I once visited a boat that was for sale and the owner's wife rushed in ahead of us, waving scented air fresher sheets around...not good. They made me sneeze and they made us very suspicious.
When I first seen it advertised it was 29900. They didn't mention problems then. since its been reduced a few times. That boat should be 40-50 ish if it were in good shape. Must be something serious and not just up dating that it needs.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 13:02   #3123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Please see the red in your quote for my response to your reasoning. I think your numbers are derived for a chair behind a computer. If you want to really own a boat and cannot afford to pay yard prices, you're soon going to be sidelined and one of those people who say "a boat is a hole in the water you through money into". I'm just guessing but you seem to be of the recent thinking that no boat can leave the dock unless it has $30K worth of inter-phased electronics.
ooooh now you got nasty.

I keep forgetting how long ago 2000 was. I am wondering if you can pull that off today even if you increase that number in line with inflation.

I am one of those people that sint in chair behind a computer... yes you said that already, because buying anything in a port or a boatyard is prohibitive if you adont want to pour money into a hole in the sea. I find myself scouring the internet for parts and finding vendors with sales just to get a halfway reasonable price.

I spent $1000 on Friday and most of that stuff was 50-70% off. Stuff you just need in boat, leds, new guages, thru hull fittings, antifoul, fuel tank sender, bilge pump, water pump, pipe, fittings it goes on and on.

Im not sure what inter-phased electronics are, but a chartplotter and auto pilots are essential for cruising. If these items dont work on the bargain boat, which they almosty never do, you gotta buy something. A phone appwill get you only so far and the autopilot? I would be very interested to hear how you solve those two details.

Perhaps you take a lot of time finding the boat you will fix up so that you sidestep these kinds of expenses? There is a cost to that also.
Rotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 14:34   #3124

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotan View Post
ooooh now you got nasty.

I keep forgetting how long ago 2000 was. I am wondering if you can pull that off today even if you increase that number in line with inflation.

I am one of those people that sint in chair behind a computer... yes you said that already, because buying anything in a port or a boatyard is prohibitive if you adont want to pour money into a hole in the sea. I find myself scouring the internet for parts and finding vendors with sales just to get a halfway reasonable price.

I spent $1000 on Friday and most of that stuff was 50-70% off. Stuff you just need in boat, leds, new guages, thru hull fittings, antifoul, fuel tank sender, bilge pump, water pump, pipe, fittings it goes on and on.

Im not sure what inter-phased electronics are, but a chartplotter and auto pilots are essential for cruising. If these items dont work on the bargain boat, which they almosty never do, you gotta buy something. A phone appwill get you only so far and the autopilot? I would be very interested to hear how you solve those two details.

Perhaps you take a lot of time finding the boat you will fix up so that you sidestep these kinds of expenses? There is a cost to that also.
Sorry if I made my point a little blunt. We could talk about my current boat…a Westsail 28. I won’t disclose what I paid for it. I will say moving it cost more than the boat. There was significant hull damage which required a few months work. I built bow and stern rails for it as well as a SS bowsprit. All that was under $2k. I also built new water and fuel tank and had to sawzall some furniture out to do it. Total for that was $500 in materials.
As far as needing a plotter…not true. Although I have one now (used $200), I have always used a cheapy fixed GPS and charts. But I do agree with an autopilot. 80% of the time a little see boat comes with.
I wouldn’t be doing this unless I could. I have my own Machine shop which makes most of it easy.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 15:36   #3125

Please, less back and forth personal stuff.

Focus on boats for sale in the defined category, take other stuff to other threads

please
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 17:52   #3126

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post

Focus on boats for sale in the defined category, take other stuff to other threads

please
i find discussions of what to expect from a sub 30k boat and what it takes to get it up to snuff helpful and relevant to this thread
paisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 18:11   #3127

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post

please
We'll get right on that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 27-11-2021, 18:29   #3128
SuW

FWIW, in the Frozen North, boating activity stopped about a 6 weeks ago and the "boats for sale" ads are fewer.

Anything still actively for sale is for people who are in a hurry to sell, like this guy:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rp-245242.html

Note that he's down to $39K...a bit out of our league but a nice boat.
Old 28-11-2021, 06:14   #3129

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisan View Post
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...nd-33-8065108/

i know its over 30 but just. sweet pilot house, gotta have a high comfort ratio?( a term i just learned here)
would the pilot house be an oven in a hot climate though?
If you don't mind buying diesel here is another motor sailer.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5-ba6a52483c03
looks like newer diesel or rebuilt one.
1979 Seastream 34
$25,999

Listed 2 weeks ago in Palm Harbor, FL

Old 28-11-2021, 06:38   #3130

1979 Endeavour 32 sail boat
$16,900

Listed 4 weeks ago in Palatka, FL

from Sailboatdata.com
S.A./Disp.:

Bal./Disp.:

Disp./Len.:

Comfort Ratio:

Capsize Screening Formula:

S#:
1.39Pretty good numbers for safty. Very narrow with a 9.75 foot beam
The engine does not look confidence building.

There is a family on Youtube with one of these and they do the Bahamas I think its Sail boat Story?
Old 28-11-2021, 06:49   #3131

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Nice endeavor!

The selection of very nice designs for low prices is amazing.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 07:13   #3132

Quote:

1979 Seastream 34
$25,999

that one looks better proportioned, not so high pilot house smaller windows and a usable outside cockpit
paisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 07:21   #3133
SuW

Quote:
1979 Endeavour 32 sail boat
$16,900

Listed 4 weeks ago in Palatka, FL
...Pretty good numbers for safty. Very narrow with a 9.75 foot beam
The engine does not look confidence building.
There is a family on Youtube with one of these and they do the Bahamas I think its Sail boat Story?
Very nice boat. I'm fond of these - very liveable for the size. Huge cockpit. Easy to single-hand. This one looks in good shape for its age. It even has the teak step on the galley counter (which is fairly useless, but does double duty as a dockside step). A leaking port or stains around the port over the galley.

If it's the original engine, then it will probably need serious refurbishment.
Condition of sails and canvas?

If it's been sitting in that part of Florida for any length of time, your first impressions may be that it is really dirty. Humid climate, and, I think a local industrial plant. (That may be gone).

I'd paint most of the interior plywood panels in white, for example around the ports and in the V-berth. They look like they've been replaced anyway and not teak. (Bulkheads and furniture is teak ply, I think).
Old 28-11-2021, 07:36   #3134
SuW

Quote:

1979 Seastream 34
$25,999

Another good find! Someone has spent money on this boat at some point during its life. Worth viewing if you're in the area and looking.

Canvas and upholstery look OK. Is that silver sausage in the V-berth some kind of air conditioning? Ventilation in Florida may be an issue (mold/condensation) but a good type for the NE USA or Canada.

Small cockpit, 3 would be a crowd.

Engine recently replaced, I think, which is good.
Old 28-11-2021, 08:54   #3135

Quote:

1979 Seastream 34
$25,999

I'm not sure it's a motorsailor with only 40 gallons of fuel. looks like a full on sailboat to me.

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price