Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2020, 17:51   #1936
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well, I beg to differ with the negative comments offered on this one! If it sells for $2000 and that diesel is in decent shape that is REALLY a great deal IMO. Maybe not for sailing around the world, but as an owner of a very similar boat, I can see the owner took care of many important things already, the dodger and bimini are definitely pluses (even if they need fabric), along with the solar AND wind power generation and a windvane? Come on! A little mold? Even though the rigging has to be replaced, mast stepped and a good used main needs to be purchased, anyone with a modicum of DIY could easily have a great little pocket cruiser there! No keel bolts and a sturdy hull, a beginner could really get a good start on some coastal cruising with that one.
I agree 100%
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 18:10   #1937
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well, I beg to differ with the negative comments offered on this one! If it sells for $2000 and that diesel is in decent shape that is REALLY a great deal IMO. Maybe not for sailing around the world, but as an owner of a very similar boat, I can see the owner took care of many important things already, the dodger and bimini are definitely pluses (even if they need fabric), along with the solar AND wind power generation? Come on! A little mold? Even though the rigging has to be replaced, mast stepped and a good used main needs to be purchased, anyone with a modicum of DIY could easily have a great little pocket cruiser there! No keel bolts and a sturdy hull, a beginner could really get a good start on some coastal cruising with that one. Yes it needs batteries and maybe that stuffing box checked out, but still, that one would catch my eye if it were on this coast.
The photo seems to show a windvane, but none is listed, so he may have sold that already.
I take your point, certainly. (The original purpose of this thread was not about 'project' boats, which this is.)

The boat is interesting (I knew people who owned one and they sail well) and sure, if someone is OK with doing quite a bit of work, it would be good. A decent engine is worth a lot.

I'd be concerned that a 'beginner' wouldn't really do the needed work and something like a trailerable boat would be more useful to them for much more fun and not much more money.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 18:31   #1938

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
I take your point, certainly. (The original purpose of this thread was not about 'project' boats, which this is.)
I just re-read the opening message that describes the purpose of this thread and didn't see anything saying that project boats aren't allowed. My feeling is that basically every boat that you purchase is going to be a project boat at some level. It seems to me that this thread is more about 'Deals'. Personally I'm looking for a project boat. It just depends on what the project is.
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 21:03   #1939

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
I just re-read the opening message that describes the purpose of this thread and didn't see anything saying that project boats aren't allowed. My feeling is that basically every boat that you purchase is going to be a project boat at some level. It seems to me that this thread is more about 'Deals'. Personally I'm looking for a project boat. It just depends on what the project is.

To me, and my opinion only, I think this thread was supposed to be about boats that could be bought and used while undergoing a moderate refit/upgrade. The Alberg30 looks like a boat that needs a complete rebuild. I'm not knocking the boat, it's overall a good design, IMHO.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:55   #1940
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that post was "not allowed" which is why I reported what little I know about Alberg 30s and reviewed the pictures.

And there certainly have been some interesting posts over time on this thread.

I absolutely agree that every boat is a project boat* and a deal is in the eye of the beholder (purchaser)!

*Not excluding new ones!
Old 12-08-2020, 18:01   #1941

Boat: FORCE 5 14'

This Hallberg Rassy Rasmus seems like a lot of vessel for the money:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...us-35-3597615/
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 18:27   #1942
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyes View Post
This Hallberg Rassy Rasmus seems like a lot of vessel for the money:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...us-35-3597615/
Nice find! Big diesel (4 cylinder Yanmar) and centre cockpit should allow this to sell easily. Good layout for cruising with a family, I'd say.

I can't make out if the spars are wood or just brown painted aluminum?
Old 12-08-2020, 19:06   #1943
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Nice find! Big diesel (4 cylinder Yanmar) and centre cockpit should allow this to sell easily. Good layout for cruising with a family, I'd say.

I can't make out if the spars are wood or just brown painted aluminum?
As far as I know they were all aluminum.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 22:28   #1944

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Mine was aluminum
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 05:18   #1945
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Mine was aluminum
Can you tell us anything characteristic about these boats? I know very little about them!
I have noticed that some typically European boats are rarer and relatively less expensive over here on the used market.
Old 13-08-2020, 06:50   #1946

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I bought her as a fixer with an engine that I needed to rebuild. Excellent sailing boats. Met a Swiss/Canadian on one in Ensenada when I was sailing mine. He ended up sailing around the world, as far as I know. Never a blister but they are long in the tooth and require the usual attention.

Being an older HR, they do not go for a whole lot of money. I sold mine in Mx. for around $30K and she was well outfitted for cruising. The one in the link above is a fair price for one as it does not have a lot of "cruising gear". I would bet you could get her for around $22K. If I had brought mine back to the US., I may have got a little more but at the time, it wasn't worth it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 13:07   #1947

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

My daughter found this one and sent it over to me for comment. She's looking and has no time for a fixer-upper.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/b...175973641.html

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/oday-302

My experience has been that O'Day boats of this era were just fine and these days they are seen in good shape so I guess they hold up pretty well, too. The designers, in my opinion, knew a lot about creating nice family boats.

Norm
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 10:26   #1948
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
My daughter found this one and sent it over to me for comment. She's looking and has no time for a fixer-upper.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/b...175973641.html

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/oday-302

My experience has been that O'Day boats of this era were just fine and these days they are seen in good shape so I guess they hold up pretty well, too. The designers, in my opinion, knew a lot about creating nice family boats.

Norm
I think this is worth the money on the face of it.
Looks like a nice, clean boat of its type.

Things to watch out for are the usual; leaking windows, hatches etc. but not necessarily a dealbreaker.

No external teak (good for easy maintenance). The glued on headliner fabric is also a positive, imo (much easier to get at stuff without an inner hull liner).

I don't know if these boats had cored decks, I seem to think not.

The engine is old, but parts are readily available.
Old 14-08-2020, 11:44   #1949

Any opinions on this one? I might actually be able to travel to view it.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/87558
Marinarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 11:52   #1950

Boat: O'Day 40

I'm 1 dock over if anyone wants a vicarious look.
Gets cleaned professionally a few times a year but seldom used.

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price