Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 24-02-2019, 12:44   #1546

Boat: Morgan 33OI-Dreamtime
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

The captain is a motorhead, the engine runs perfectly and uses no oil
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 00:37   #1547

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
Nothing harsh. I value my time. When I am in a bar bored with my life I hit on a girl next to me.
Wow! You must be the coolest guy you know.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 06:12   #1548
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

1987 C&C 33 MkII. About $29.5K USD ($38,900 Canadian).

This one appears to have been set up for racing and cruising. Rod rigging, which can be a pain for the people taking the mast down...

It has a very nice interior, decent galley, looks like good upholstery and canvas. "Hello Sailor" indeed!

No real mechanical details. Presumably a diesel at this price/size/vintage.

It's near the west end of Lake Ontario (Burlington-Hamilton-Toronto area).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/oak...ale/1380587296
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 06:40   #1549
SuW

Depending on the exchange rate this one might squeak within our price range:

1982 Tanzer 10.5 Pilothouse sloop. 34 feet. $41.9K Canadian.

An interesting boat, not many of these about. It is older, but appears to have been looked after and has some good gear upgrades (except that propane water heater makes me shudder, sorry). Espar heater. Yanmar diesel. The 35lb CQR seems a bit small, but that's easily remedied.

Some useful features for a cruising boat - it has 3 cabins, including an aft cabin. Could be good for a family. Nice interior. Good upholstery and canvas.

This one is in Belleville, to the east of Toronto on the north shore of Lake Ontario.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/bel...-ii/1410107298
Old 25-02-2019, 08:52   #1550
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalla View Post
this thread started out very promising but these days you have to paw through dozens of bantering replies to find a single boat.
can't y'all keep the noise to a minimum?

just my contribution to the noise...
You can help the thread maintain its value by contributing to it with boats you find that you think are outstanding (and within the parameters described in the first page OP).

You can also help it by adding insights about boats that are discussed or shared/posted.

This is not a thread intended to replace Yachtworld or Sailboatlistings or other sites. It is intended to draw attention to noteworthy boats that fit the parameters and for us to discuss those boats.

Have fun reading it, skip it, or contribute what you can in a positive manner.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 08:54   #1551
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
Yep.. It what is is.. Becoming useless. Data analysis is THE key.
Everything else is white noise.
You can help the thread maintain its value by contributing to it with boats you find that you think are outstanding (and within the parameters described in the first page OP).

You can also help it by adding insights about boats that are discussed or shared/posted.

This is not a thread intended to replace Yachtworld or Sailboatlistings or other sites. It is intended to draw attention to noteworthy boats that fit the parameters and for us to discuss those boats.

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 09:12   #1552

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post

Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:34   #1553

Boat: pearson 323

pearson 323 1977
fresh water boat sailed every year ,full compliment of good condition sails .
lake Ontario ,less than 30k ready to sail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02910.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	186640   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02916.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	186641  

bonnelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:51   #1554
SuW

Another more budget-priced boat from Ontario.

1979 Endeavour 32. Under $15k USD ($19,500 Canadian).

I actually like this brand of boat a lot. They were pricey back in the day. Well built, compact cruiser, easily single-handed. Encapsulated lead keel.

This one has a few upgrades (electric windlass), although I'm not keen on a stainless anchor (that appears to be what the listing says) nor on the owner's vacation photos. It even includes the classic Endeavour removable teak companionway steps (under the v-berth) that most people don't use.

Exterior, what you can see of it, appears tired. Canvas might be OK though. The interior upholstery would be hard to live with, imo. I'd say "no problem", but I like sewing...

In Toronto, hence the dirt. The listing says "recent survey" which means little. When you're spending this kind of money, get a good surveyor or knowledgeable person to at least examine it with you. (You probably don't need another list of parts and accessories). But we all knew that

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/cit...-32/1379620847
Old 25-02-2019, 12:02   #1555

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'm encouraged to see so many Lake Ontario boats posted recently. That's where I live and I'm looking for my next boat, so please keep them coming! It has been a brutal winter here in Ontario. For example, its been blowing 40 knots pretty steady for the last 24 hours. So I'm guessing many of us are passing the time in front of the PC while we wait for the lake to melt.

This boat has caught my attention. Its a Westsail 32. This well known blue water boat is unusual around here. And at this price is a real opportunity for someone who wants to head south, and beyond. Price is in Canadian dollars. I'm hoping to view it when the weather allows. If anyone else is interested, PM me and we can share info, but I call "dibs".

Westsail 32 located in Cobourg (east of Toronto on Lake Ontario) Canada. Asking $20,000 cdn ($15,000 USD).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...equestSource=b

From the ad:

Unfortunatly sealed in snow and ice. Not able to show or take current pictures . I will repost in March .
Hull 442 09 1975 colour is light tan
Very little use.
Perkins M 50 hp diesel (labelled as volvo md 22l)
Propane stove/oven with sniffers
Like new sails.
Bow and stern pulpits
275 ht 5/16 chain with simpson lawrence 2 speed manual windlass
80 gallons water. 40 gallons diesel
Blue water sailboat
1000s spent. Receipts.
Owner finnished interior as standard factory design but not to factory quality. Although totally usable for 6.
Tiller pilot autopilot.
Holding tank
Stainess water tanks recently serviced.
Soda blasted and barrier coated bottom as preventative maintenance. No blisters ever.
Canvas old and could be replaced dodger included. Fairclough full canvas cover with all fittings and frames but canvas ripped last winter. Will need sewing repair or
replacement. Some dated electronics but unsure of condition.
Cqr anchor
In cobourg storage.
Check it out before it goes in spring.
I upgraded to bigger.
I dont need a broker. I dont want trades of any kind . I wont carry a note or loan. If you dont have money or easy access to money please dont waste my time. Not interested in shooting the sht about boats. We all have dreams but i'm too busy these days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_59.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	186648   Click image for larger version

Name:	52820253_261058151447621_197915211145936896_n.png
Views:	181
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	186649  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 14:20   #1556
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I'm encouraged to see so many Lake Ontario boats posted recently. That's where I live and I'm looking for my next boat, so please keep them coming! It has been a brutal winter here in Ontario. For example, its been blowing 40 knots pretty steady for the last 24 hours. So I'm guessing many of us are passing the time in front of the PC while we wait for the lake to melt.

This boat has caught my attention. Its a Westsail 32. This well known blue water boat is unusual around here. And at this price is a real opportunity for someone who wants to head south, and beyond. Price is in Canadian dollars. I'm hoping to view it when the weather allows. If anyone else is interested, PM me and we can share info, but I call "dibs".

Westsail 32 located in Cobourg (east of Toronto on Lake Ontario) Canada. Asking $20,000 cdn ($15,000 USD).
Hmm...I like the Westsail as a boat, they have huge interiors. Massively built. Huge amount of storage. Large engine for the size of boat, but it is a heavy 32 footer for sailing. Small cockpit. Tiller steering. Self-steering is easy to install for this type of canoe stern. I think they draw 5-6 feet.

So, this thing has been sitting for how long? Is it covered for winter?? For those of you that don't have winter storage issues, if a boat is left uncovered around here it will fill up with water - cockpit drains get jammed with leaves or ice, and meltwater/rain in the cockpit can flood the interior ruining the sole, or even the engine if it is a multi-year problem...

Crappy phone photos and an owner with attitude. (I had considered putting this on the "Post the Worst For Sale picture" thread.) "Owner finished" is always an issue, but there's nothing you can't undo. If the boat topsides/deck haven't been painted, it might be time to do that if the gelcoat is done for. That will cost you $10K+ or a month in the summer to do it yourself. Perhaps you don't care at this price. He sounds like he's being honest at least. Kijiji is notorious for time wasters

The price is good but replacing all the canvas could run you $3K+ unless you do it yourself. Interior upholstery/foam? If bad, there's another few thousand. Then there's wiring and plumbing (hopefully some things in his "receipts" will say there's new gear in these areas and in the rigging). Anchor windlass might be OK, hopefully he's serviced it. I'd get something more modern than a CQR (which is a perfectly fine anchor...).

If sails and engine are good, and you don't mind finishing teak, doing all the other stuff and kissing the owner a little...
Old 25-02-2019, 17:26   #1557
SuW

Another boat with a respectable cruising pedigree:
1970 Allied Seawind Ketch, 30.5 ft. <$15K USD ($19,500 Canadian).

These boats are also roomy for their length. This one appears to come with a wind vane. Tiller steering and a mizzen in the cockpit make it crowded.

This one is fairly utilitarian as far as equipment. Don't know what is going on with the interior headliner, but it needs painting and I can't see the floor. (You only get 10 free pictures for a Kijiji ad, I wish people would show something of the boat that would help to sell it, or at least not put in duplicates.)

At this age you're going to want to see that everything has been replaced at least once. At least they haven't covered up whatever is going on with the bottom with new bottom paint.

In Kingston, eastern end of Lake Ontario.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...-in/1409457290
Old 25-02-2019, 17:57   #1558
SuW

1983 Hunter 34. <$19K USD ($25,000 Canadian). Good price.

This looks to be a good boat of a somewhat more conventional design with some nice gear and upgrades. Davits, dinghy, windlass. 2 Bruce anchors on bow might seem like overkill, but may be because it's been cruising in rock country. Self tailing winches. Yanmar diesel. 4 ft 3 in draft.
Again, less than optimal photos.

It's a long way from most cities, Port Elgin in Lake Huron. 3 hours north of Toronto, but think of the adventure to sail it back from there...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/owe...995/1416974632
Old 25-02-2019, 19:06   #1559

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Another boat with a respectable cruising pedigree:
1970 Allied Seawind Ketch, 30.5 ft. <$15K USD ($19,500 Canadian).

In Kingston, eastern end of Lake Ontario.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...-in/1409457290
This boat I believe is exactly the same boat as seen on PROJECT ATTICUS.

https://www.projectatticus.com/ourstory

Oh wait...theirs is a 1963 model, but looks just the same. Their refit only took 3 years!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	download (1).jpg
Views:	178
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	186660  
Attached Images

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 19:53   #1560
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
...Their refit only took 3 years!
Our refit has only taken 9 years...so far. Basically it's what we do for fun; work on the boat for 3 months, launch, cruise, haul out...repeat next year

That Allied Seawind is said to be in Kingston. Basically the same price as the Westsail. Would be interested in your impressions, once you can get in to see them.

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price