Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 10:43   #841

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

At that price I might just choose to never look below the waterline and just keep sailing.....
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 13:58   #842
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
At that price I might just choose to never look below the waterline and just keep sailing.....
yes, really. worth a thought or two. Found the quote I alluded to earlier, on Sailing Anarchy from a guy who knows a thing or two:

Bob Perry
Anarchist
Posted July 29, 2013

"Thanks Kid.
Fact is the V-40 PH model sails better than the original model. Hands down.
I grew to know the original V-40 very well. VERY WELL. When time came to do the PH version I corrected the mistake of the original version. I totally redesigned the rig. Everything else was PERp-****ing -FECT.
But I moved the mast forward to give the PH model a more delicate helm balance.. This boat is a real treat to sail.
The cockpit is a masterpiece . The seats have a changing camber to them that goes tanget at centerline aft and the contour increases as it goes forward. It is extremely comfortable.
Unfortunately with all that contour maleability going on the builder had a very had time positioning hinges for the seat lockers. I didn't think of that. My bad.
I was a kid, figuring it out as I went along.
I have put some miles on the PH V-40 including a challenging, night time Cape May. It is a very good boat."
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 15:44   #843
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 15:45   #844
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
yes, really. worth a thought or two. Found the quote I alluded to earlier, on Sailing Anarchy from a guy who knows a thing or two:

Bob Perry
Anarchist
Posted July 29, 2013

"Thanks Kid.
I grew to know the original V-40 very well. VERY WELL. When time came to do the PH version I corrected the mistake of the original version. I totally redesigned the rig. Everything else was PERp-****ing -FECT.
But I moved the mast forward to give the PH model a more delicate helm balance.. This boat is a real treat to sail.
The cockpit is a masterpiece . The seats have a changing camber to them that goes tanget at centerline aft and the contour increases as it goes forward. It is extremely comfortable.
Unfortunately with all that contour maleability going on the builder had a very had time positioning hinges for the seat lockers. I didn't think of that. My bad.
I have put some miles on the PH V-40 including a challenging, night time Cape May. It is a very good boat."
Thanks for adding this interesting comment from Bob Perry about the PH version.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 20:35   #845

Did the 1968 Columbia 28 come with both an inboard Atomic 4 and an engine well?
deano555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 20:46   #846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
A little more info on the Valiant blister issue that is relevant to this boat. Blisters are far more prevalent in boats that live in warm water, and blisters can emerge decades later when a cold water boat (i.e., the PNW) is moved to warm water. Just a couple of days ago, on the Valiant owners' group, an owner of a 70's era boat recounted that since they recently moved their boat to Mexico there has been a significant proliferation in blisters below the waterline.

Many blister boats live good lives up north with only minimal blistering. So if you were going to keep the boat north you'd be far less concerned with the issue.

Again, the hull numbers of blister boats are known, and this boat, falling in the last year when the fire retardant chemical was used, may be a post blister boat.

That said, blister boats go for a significant discount. It's hard to imagine that this boat, with all of it's equipment, would not go for 2-3x it's asking price if it were not a blister boat. A 5 minute phone call to the owner/broker should answer the question. If it's not a blister boat it's the deal of the century. If it is a blister boat then it's still fairly priced.
It is a blister boat. and the blisters have nothing to do with being under the waterline. There are more blisters above the waterline than under. I talked with the owner--he has had it for 16years-he had all the blisters abover the waterline fixed and covered with awlgrip 12 years ago-he said they just came back in different places and that the awlgrip made them worse. he has sailed the boat 32000 miles and knows what he is doing. It is hull no 6 of the 8 pilothouse Valiant 40 s made.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 21:16   #847

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano555 View Post
Did the 1968 Columbia 28 come with both an inboard Atomic 4 and an engine well?
Welcome aboard deano! I'm sending along the info from the Columbia site
Columbia 28 Specifications
http://www.columbia-yachts.com/col28/col28diagLate.jpg

I believe the 28, like my old 24 and 29, came with both the well and plug and inboard (the option), but sorry I cannot say for certain because I have not looked closely at one.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-11-2017, 04:33   #848

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Here's a Morgan Out Island 41 on Ebay, auction closing in a week, opening bid at $20,000:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172982914980
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 12:08   #849

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
It is a blister boat. and the blisters have nothing to do with being under the waterline. There are more blisters above the waterline than under. I talked with the owner--he has had it for 16years-he had all the blisters abover the waterline fixed and covered with awlgrip 12 years ago-he said they just came back in different places and that the awlgrip made them worse. he has sailed the boat 32000 miles and knows what he is doing. It is hull no 6 of the 8 pilothouse Valiant 40 s made.
I spoke with this Valiant PH 40 owner about a year ago. The answers were/are exactly the same as GEOLEO's post. I say this because this owner is extremely open and honest about the boat and any issue it may or may not have. If you are in the market for this size boat taking a look might surprise you as to the value of what you can buy. It is loaded for cruising and a few months of making it your own and you are off on your own circumnavigation. If you've ever seen a boat that just done a trans ocean crossing coming into port most anywhere in the World, then you know they don't come in looking like beauty queens if they've seen any kind of weather out there. Hence, looks in this boat's case should'nt mattter to the buyer, she's got the right 'bones' to go
Old 16-11-2017, 12:09   #850

While we're on the topic....

Here's a few I found for less than $30k. Just use those parameters on yachtworld

Used >Sail >North America >$10,000 - $25,000 price and you get 128 REAL Yachts to choose from! Heck a thread should be started 'under $10k', or even 'under $20k' and there would still be plenty of fine buys out there!

A real buyers market right now to move up for folks who have been waiting to buy bigger. I mean, come on, how many folks sailing an XYZ 27 fter could afford the ka'ching for a new Swan? Me neither! Which is why these are some killer deals involving elbow grease, which by the way I already have used to name one of my previous boat's so that name's taken LOL!

1981 Swan Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1976 Hudson Force 50 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1978 Alberg 37 Yawl Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1979 Formosa 37 KETCH Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1979 Hunter 37' Cherubini Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1977 Morgan Heritage 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1985 Seidelmann 37 Custom Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1982 CSY 36T Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1972 Rogger 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1980 Southern Cross Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1986 Andrews Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1972 Cape Dory Cape 30 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

even cheaper in US dollars!> 1980 Hinterhoeller Nonsuch Classic Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

even trimarans!>1984 JIM BROWN Searunner Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Enjoy!
Old 18-11-2017, 02:05   #851

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Just how much is a blistering problem?
Meaning consequences of going untreated for some length of time.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 07:46   #852

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Many will go nuts reading this, but my research leads me to conclude that blisters are strictly a cosmetic issue. I have nor found a single case of structural damage from blisters. That said, blisters above the water line sound more like a bad paint job or bad gelcoat the latter being a much more serious problem.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 08:27   #853

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
Bob Perry
Anarchist
Posted July 29, 2013

"Thanks Kid.
This would make sense. The mast is very far aft on the V40...almost at the middle of the boat, and the result (along with the fin keel form) is a bit more weather helm. This was ultimately corrected in the V42, which has the same hull as the V40 but with a bowsprit and taller rig. The keel was changed also, as a result.

Also, Perry played with the keel shape over time. Older Valiants have a longer keel, and it was shortened/reconfigured at least once, I expect when production was moved to Texas as other changes were made at that time as well. I have not confirmed this but I've seen a lot of Valiants out of the water and there are definitely differences between older and newer V40's.

With such a big foretriangle area I've found my boat very sensitive (or responsive, depending on how you look at it) to sail config. My ideal "to weather" rig is staysail and 110 Yankee which balances well with only moderate (and desired) weather helm. More canvas and it becomes an issue.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 15:50   #854

Alright, folks. There are some gems and some dogs in this thread and there's a gem near me I have to share. I've not seen the boat, but if the decks check out as dry, this one is really ready to go. She'll need canvas and if you go to the linked sailing vid, you can see what appears to be original winches. If so, I would advise a search for spare parts before leaving home, or replacement winches. Other than that, she appears good to go.

The two year-old Beta diesel with 70 hours replaced the original Atomic 4 engine. The brand new Force Ten stove and head unit, along with the Beta, are worth the seller's ask of 22k alone. The boat itself is free!

It's a 1966 Pearson Vanguard, prettiest girl at the dance.

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...382432976.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearson Vanguard.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	159376  
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 17:04   #855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Alright, folks. There are some gems and some dogs in this thread and there's a gem near me I have to share. I've not seen the boat, but if the decks check out as dry, this one is really ready to go. She'll need canvas and if you go to the linked sailing vid, you can see what appears to be original winches. If so, I would advise a search for spare parts before leaving home, or replacement winches. Other than that, she appears good to go.

The two year-old Beta diesel with 70 hours replaced the original Atomic 4 engine. The brand new Force Ten stove and head unit, along with the Beta, are worth the seller's ask of 22k alone. The boat itself is free!

It's a 1966 Pearson Vanguard, prettiest girl at the dance.

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...382432976.html
That is one beautiful Vanguard. I think it’s worth 22k compared to other newer boats of that price, but it will sell for much less I bet.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price