Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 21:29   #541

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumiko dan View Post
Celestial,
Are you complaining that people like to look at boats?!?! If so, please find other targets for your disdain. Looking at boats is a fine way to dream, to waste time, to ponder...and who knows when one may suit the fancy...
Not at all...But thanx for monitoring the thread. I love looking at boats. I own a boat, I sail a boat, I cruise a boat. That's why I'm not on a Ferrari forum telling people that I'm looking for the perfect Dino.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 23:03   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
I can't speak for Celestial, but I understood him to be referring to the people who post that they are actively searching boats for the purpose of purchasing, not simply window shopping and simply enjoying looking at boats. Yet, despite all accounts of them being serious about wanting to purchase a boat and coming across many good deals they still haven't pulled the trigger after years and years. And I didn't get the feeling of disdain from him, just confusion from a guy who has been through the process of buying and selling a boat many times. I lean towards being someone who is serious about buying a boat but I haven't pulled the trigger, and I am not offended by Celstial's remarks.
Thanx for the understanding. If I can pull someones cover to s#!t or get off the pot I will. It is hard to find that 1st. boat. But once over the fear you will ask yourself..."why did I wait so long". One mistake I think many people make is to continually live in the dream rather than creating the dream. Conceptualizing the end. "Life is what's happening while you are busy making plans."
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 24-03-2017, 08:59   #543

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
It is hard to find that 1st. boat. But once over the fear you will ask yourself..."why did I wait so long".
I know what I'm waiting for, and I'll be looking - as opposed to keeping an eye on the market - next summer.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 09:04   #544

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I looked for a long time but didn't learn enough. If I had waited a little longer I think I would have managed a better deal. On the other hand I've learned a lot in the fix up process and would make a better decision next time. Well if I need a next time as this one is doing the job. And I still can't seem to stop looking. Look to your hearts content I say. Dreams are cheap....
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 09:15   #545

Just a quick note to thank all of you regulars who are more knowledgeable and experienced than I am for keeping this thread active. I am in that grey area of being ready to buy my first boat. I'd like to go live aboard and cruise the wild seas at some point, but am not quite ready. On the other hand, I live in (central) California, and could probably purchase a boat to learn on right now and get a taste of the life. This thread provides a lot of good info and some possible leads on a first boat for me to get and learn on while I prepare for life at sea. So, again, thank you!
rhequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 09:48   #546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I know what I'm waiting for, and I'll be looking - as opposed to keeping an eye on the market - next summer.
Interesting you mention the market. I have noticed the last month or so, it seems to be teetering with realestate and boat sales.
Old 24-03-2017, 22:55   #547

Boat: Pedalo ,2016

Love this thread.
please keep posting finds.
el31415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 09:44   #548

What does everything think about this Cheoy Lee 36...... what might be the pros and cons of this boat? Is there any issues that this boat is known for?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/6051531590.html
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 13:24   #549

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
What does everything think about this Cheoy Lee 36...... what might be the pros and cons of this boat? Is there any issues that this boat is known for?

Looks good. I have not sailed the 36, but my buddy has a CL Luders 30 of the same vintage and I have sailed that one and it is a strong boat, sails well and is fairly fast for a long keel cruiser. His does have some problem with blisters though, so I'd ask about that. Personally shallow blisters don't bother me too much, but it is something to check on. Deeper ones need more attention and repair. I have heard folks call that boat one of the best cruising designs and size. It's a good price, sounds like they are motivated, I'd call a surveyor pretty soon if you are interested. I like the Perkins but find out about age, hours and maintenance. Ask about the age of the rigging. Good that it has a dodger too. I am guessing sails are older, may need replacing, since not much said about them.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 16:41   #550

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:

Judging from the pictures the boat looks to be in good condition which is exactly what you want. However, I've been surprised many times by how good a boat can look in pictures & how poor it can look in when you get there. If this boat is as good as it looks in the pics, the sails & rigging are serviceable & the diesel is reliable this would be a great deal but be sure to note that the slip is not included so you'll need someplace to put it.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 17:05   #551

Boat: MacGregor 26S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I am one of those "looking for her". In my searches I sometimes come across notable boats that are great deals...but aren't right for me. Either location, or size, or price, or a million other things. Buying a boat is not like buying a loaf of bread at the supermarket. I only get one boat. And when I choose that one boat, I'm making a big commitment of time and money. In return, that boat will sustain me. Its not that different from looking for a wife...except a boat won't turn around one day and say its leaving...but I digress...

You don't choose the boat, the boat chooses you.

In two years my kids will both be at university (hopefully) and I can finally head south to the caribbean, or wherever the wind takes me. Until then, I'm going to keep looking at boats, so that when I'm ready, or the right boat comes along, I'll know it. And if I happen to see some other great deals along my path, I'm going to share them with the good folks here at CF...because just about every other post starts out with...."I'm a newb looking for a great deal on a decent boat..."
looks like we are in the same 'boat', although I have one kid studying and the other one in a year and a bit, and the women is no more.., lest's hope we make a good choice, or rather, according to you, a good one chooses us
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 18:57   #552

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:

Here is the link to the Cheoy Lee owners group.
Ludders 36

I don't know about the Luders design, but our boat is very well made. You will just want to have the boat surveyed. The only bugaboo I can think of with Cheoy Lee (actually there are two) some boats in the mid 70s had substandard stainless and the cored decks wereally not a consistent core material. However a survey will show any soft spots. You will want to ask about the age of the chain plates. It's amazing how many boats out there have the original chain plates and they have never been inspected.
Old 26-03-2017, 19:31   #553
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Here's a link to a Nor'Sea 27 in California. Asking is 25k - new Universal diesel, a bit rough but the price is low.
1977 Norsea, Nor Sea, Nor'Sea Aft Cabin Sail Boat For Sale -
Slip is transferable as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6171406_20170315120839190_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	144012   Click image for larger version

Name:	6171406_20170314145028233_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	144013  

Name:	6171406_20170314145026323_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	144014   Click image for larger version

Name:	6171406_20170314145025537_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	144015  

Name:	6171406_20170314145024595_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	144016  
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 22:14   #554

1979 Fisher Fairway 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This Fisher 37 had been sitting at $60k for quite a long time, now with a sudden and dramatic price drop to below the threshold for this thread.

In truth, I had been studying this particular boat as an exercise in order to estimate refit costs and consider what I might offer for it. I happen to like the color, and also the arrangement in the pilot house. Looks like a nice place to hang out, almost like having your own little coffee shop with a view.

It was just an exercise, in the end, and not a prelude to an actual offer. I concluded that I don't have the skills to do this boat justice on a refit. That is, in my hands it would cost too much.

However, if anyone reading this does pick it up, I really really hope you'll share details about whatever may become of it, if not on the forum, at least with me.

Also, I would love to know what members here think of it. Is that crack in the cockpit a deal killer? I concluded that it wasn't. Notice, as well, that it comes with an Autohelm windvane and the original mainsail, plus some more things that make me think it could be a very good deal for someone with the right experience and skills. Just wish that were me.

kalbahnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 06:50   #555

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbahnov View Post
1979 Fisher Fairway 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This Fisher 37 had been sitting at $60k for quite a long time, now with a sudden and dramatic price drop to below the threshold for this thread.

In truth, I had been studying this particular boat as an exercise in order to estimate refit costs and consider what I might offer for it. I happen to like the color, and also the arrangement in the pilot house. Looks like a nice place to hang out, almost like having your own little coffee shop with a view.

It was just an exercise, in the end, and not a prelude to an actual offer. I concluded that I don't have the skills to do this boat justice on a refit. That is, in my hands it would cost too much.

However, if anyone reading this does pick it up, I really really hope you'll share details about whatever may become of it, if not on the forum, at least with me.

Also, I would love to know what members here think of it. Is that crack in the cockpit a deal killer? I concluded that it wasn't. Notice, as well, that it comes with an Autohelm windvane and the original mainsail, plus some more things that make me think it could be a very good deal for someone with the right experience and skills. Just wish that were me.

That price is incredibly low for a Fisher 37. Either something is seriously wrong with this boat or this is the deal of the century. If this boat was in Florida I'd be in my car right now.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price