Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 19-02-2022, 16:56   #3721

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNa7 View Post
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...na-36-8083934/

Thanks for the input =)
(not the original one I was looking at...)

Intend to use it for coastal cruising and island hopping. Also, I am brand new to sailing but intend to take courses (and figure it out on my own with my husbands help who has some experience). Any other suggestions on what may be good boats to start looking at are welcome as well.
If it is in good condition, then I think the Catalina is a very good choice for what you describe. Catalinas are ubiquitous and they are good all around boats. Resale is relatively easy. 36 is a tad large for a first boat in my opinion but they sail well, they are responsive and nimble so in spite of its size it could still be a good boat to learn on. I still always recommend folks learn, and even race, in a little boat where the boat's responses are immediate and you can develop an innate sense of what a boat will do given different inputs to the point where you will be able to sail instinctively and without thinking.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 17:09   #3722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
If it is in good condition, then I think the Catalina is a very good choice for what you describe. Catalinas are ubiquitous and they are good all around boats. Resale is relatively easy. 36 is a tad large for a first boat in my opinion but they sail well, they are responsive and nimble so in spite of its size it could still be a good boat to learn on. I still always recommend folks learn, and even race, in a little boat where the boat's responses are immediate and you can develop an innate sense of what a boat will do given different inputs to the point where you will be able to sail instinctively and without thinking.
Thanks for the info!
NaNa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 17:28   #3723
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...na-36-8083934/
Thanks for the input =)
(not the original one I was looking at...)
Intend to use it for coastal cruising and island hopping. Also, I am brand new to sailing but intend to take courses (and figure it out on my own with my husbands help who has some experience). Any other suggestions on what may be good boats to start looking at are welcome as well.
That's a very nice boat, for the price. The engine is old, but the hours are low for the age (if the engine hour meter is to be believed). I didn't realise how excellent the engine access is on these boats!

A lot of other gear is newish, which is great. The boat looks to be in excellent shape.

Having just a Danforth anchor on a boat this size is totally inadequate, imo, but perhaps they didn't anchor out very often; perhaps the boat is lightly used?

A few hundred to a thousand dollars will need to be spent on ground tackle if you're going anywhere serious with this boat.Suggest at least a manual windlass, all chain rode and a modern anchor (Rocna, Manson, Spade, etc.)

If you're serious about a boat like this, and you are new to boating, get a proper on-shore and in-water survey. It's a fairly well-understood boat which is good. If you're lucky, and the present owners are helpful, after a deal they may take you sailing and show you how to use the systems. (Take notes.)

There is no perfect boat, but this type is large enough for a couple to comfortably cruise indefinitely, I'd say.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 17:52   #3724

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
That's a very nice boat, for the price. The engine is old, but the hours are low for the age (if the engine hour meter is to be believed). I didn't realise how excellent the engine access is on these boats!

A lot of other gear is newish, which is great. The boat looks to be in excellent shape.

Having just a Danforth anchor on a boat this size is totally inadequate, imo, but perhaps they didn't anchor out very often; perhaps the boat is lightly used?

A few hundred to a thousand dollars will need to be spent on ground tackle if you're going anywhere serious with this boat.Suggest at least a manual windlass, all chain rode and a modern anchor (Rocna, Manson, Spade, etc.)

If you're serious about a boat like this, and you are new to boating, get a proper on-shore and in-water survey. It's a fairly well-understood boat which is good. If you're lucky, and the present owners are helpful, after a deal they may take you sailing and show you how to use the systems. (Take notes.)

There is no perfect boat, but this type is large enough for a couple to comfortably cruise indefinitely, I'd say.

If I bought a boat in this price range that would give me about 30,000-40,000 to put into the boat. So, depending on how good of shape the boat is in, is this a reasonable amount to work with?
NaNa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 18:35   #3725
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
If I bought a boat in this price range that would give me about 30,000-40,000 to put into the boat. So, depending on how good of shape the boat is in, is this a reasonable amount to work with?
I'd say so; but like buying a 40 year old house, there are a lot of variables. Only you guys can decide. And, like everyone, you will make mistakes and have to make compromises

You will depend on your engine, sails, anchoring system. You need to be able to navigate, sleep and cook and look after yourselves. Other things are useful or nice to have. (Obviously Don CL's point about the keel bolts and the boat's integrity is important.)

And his other point about buying something conventional is good to note - that if you decide to change to another boat, or stop boating, you can sell it more easily.

Incidentally, that particular boat uses CNG for cooking which may not be easily obtainable everywhere, unlike propane, for example. (CNG may be safer in that it is lighter than air if there's a leak).
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 20:25   #3726

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I did not look like that boat needed $30k to $40k unless it needed a new engine, new sails and new rigging.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 21:16   #3727

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: 1981 Mao Ta 36 sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
1981 Mao Ta 36 sailboat - $8,000 (Orange Beach FL)

https://mobile.craigslist.org/boa/d/...447294192.html
Looked at one of these last year in Oregon. Same condition also. Mao Ta was a copy of a Union 36 which was a copy of the Hans Christian 36. So much for "Honor among Thieves".
I talked to Robert Perry about them. He felt their quality build was not that of a Union 36.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 21:20   #3728

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
We bought an ‘85 c36 for ~$30k and were able to get it ready for 1 yr of liveaboard cruising for around $15k. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, and it’s been a few years, so grain of salt, but off the top of my head…

Some things we did: new electronics, new running rigging, new ground tackle + windlass.

Some big items we didn’t have to do: engine, sails, standing rigging, dodger/Bimini.

A new mainsail and replacing the standing rigging would have been on our list if we had kept the boat for another 3-5 yrs.

We did all labor ourselves. Took about 2 years, with maybe 8 months of that being me full time after leaving my job. The boat was usable during most of that time (if we had had time to actually clean up the tools and sail it), but also wasn’t quite done when we set off. It actually still wasn’t quite done the day we sold it, but I hear that’s pretty common.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 21:27   #3729

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Pearson fales 38 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
I don't know where he got Pearson from but it is an Alden design and built by False yachts. This seems to be a good boat.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 23:10   #3730

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Thoughts on a Catalina 36 MK1?

We just started looking for boats and came across a Catalina 36 mk1. Any advise and/or pros and cons on this boat?

Thanks!
Excellent boats - a mate of mine bought a mid-80’s C36 in Key West, while I bought an ‘84 Oday 34. Both first time boat owners - him with sailing experience and me with none.

Both sailed back to Miami (ICW was brilliant) and then on to Bimini. I did the Bahamas for a while whereas he (and the C36) went up to Bermuda, Azores, and then on to the UK.

A mid-30’s boat of that era is excellent to learn on - overbuilt, very forgiving, not expensive, and big enough that you can comfortably live aboard long term if you find you enjoy sailing.

Happy boat shopping!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 13:06   #3731

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
Cascade 42 1965

Cascade 42 1965 - $14,000 (Bainbridge WA)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/b...448600337.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 07:34   #3732
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
I've been watching this one for a while, because I like the Pearson 424s. The price dropped on this one twice in the last month, putting it just under $30K now.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1980...n-424-7929998/

From the ad:
"The boat has been sitting on the hard for 10 years. Needs a good cleaning. Every system should be gone over. Hull and rigging looks to be in good shape. Will require some wood replacement where there was some leaks that caused damage. Engine will require servicing due to diesel fuel sitting in the tank and engines."
1980 Pearson 424 - Free Bird
Price just dropped another $5K, putting her at $24,500.
That is the 3rd price drop in February. I think this is a motivated seller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bear Pearson 424.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	253381  
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 20:48   #3733

40 ft Bristol

40 ft Bristol sailboat - $28,000 (Wilmington CA)

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...449624778.html
Old 22-02-2022, 20:53   #3734

1973 Columbia 41

1973 Columbia 41 - $25,000 (half moon bay ca)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa...449503314.html
Old 22-02-2022, 21:32   #3735

Coupla nice clean looking boats there
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price