Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2022, 04:13   #3676
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: Pacific Seacraft, Crealock 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...One restore I did to an Olympian 34 required the removal of a dead coyote and ...
One of the things I like about CF is that I sometimes learn new terms. I am ashamed to admit how much time I spent trying to imagine what nautical gear might be called a "coyote" by sailors...
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:26   #3677

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
One of the things I like about CF is that I sometimes learn new terms. I am ashamed to admit how much time I spent trying to imagine what nautical gear might be called a "coyote" by sailors...
Try course racing. They have a whole series of obscure terms, not all of which are socially polite.

I’m so glad that PC37 is on the wrong coast, it would be a horrible temptation. Heck, I’d push it on / off dock and sail as-is on nice heavy weather days.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:09   #3678

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Try course racing. They have a whole series of obscure terms, not all of which are socially polite.

I’m so glad that PC37 is on the wrong coast, it would be a horrible temptation. Heck, I’d push it on / off dock and sail as-is on nice heavy weather days.

Uh...sorry...It was an actual decomposed carcass of a dead coyote. The boat had been abandoned in the Barstow desert, where I bought the boat. It was 1985.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 13:05   #3679

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
Hardin Sea Wolf 40

Hardin Sea Wolf 40 - $25,000 (New Jersey)

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/b...445191674.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 07:16   #3680

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: caroff explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
offshore / off grid - $15,000 (st martin)

https://virgin.craigslist.org/boa/7443516559.html
That’s an excellent find! I can’t believe it’s so cheap TBH, unless it’s full of rust and water damage...

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 07:47   #3681

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

TARTAN 41 - $4,000 (oakland lake merritt / grand)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa...443424652.html

My only comment here is that it is fairly priced. But you better be younger with lots of enthusiasm. Also you might be able to use the Ferryman diesel as an anchor.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 13-02-2022, 07:55   #3682
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
1985 Bayfield 32C on north shore of Lake Erie, $17.5 Canadian (~$14K US).
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/nor...ale/1604284574
This is a very good price for one of these boats. New engine, new sails.
Shallow draft (3'9"). They are good, solid small coastal cruisers.
The interior looks dirty and tired although the interior pictures are dark so it's hard to assess. It has a propane stove and heater. Opening ports.
If the photos are recent, this has had a recent bottom job. Dodger and bimini. Good sized cockpit.
There appears to be an anchor roller and reinforcing bar added below the wooden bow platform. This overcomes the common complaint about access to anchors on the extended version of the bow platform on these boats (there is an anchor roller there too).
This Bayfield 32 for sale at $17.5 Canadian (~$14K US), just sold. ~10 days.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 08:08   #3683

Quote:
If I hadn't just bought the Pearson, I'd be all over this! Time to stop kicking tires guys and do it. I bet they would entertain $8K.
How often in life does that happen? ,You see a great deal ,go for it and then another comes along shortly after
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 08:12   #3684

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
TARTAN 41 - $4,000 (oakland lake merritt / grand)

Also you might be able to use the Ferryman diesel as an anchor.
Gave me a great laugh!
Old 13-02-2022, 09:59   #3685

Quote:
Originally Posted by laird View Post
How often in life does that happen? ,You see a great deal ,go for it and then another comes along shortly after
In the last few years, often enough. You just have to know when to pull the trigger. Then be happy with what you chose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Gave me a great laugh!
Old 16-02-2022, 16:50   #3686
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
1976 Bayfield 32 in Lake Wales Florida (owner in Ontario). $22K Canadian (I assume, $17.5K USD).
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/lon...976/1600897757
I post this because I know this type of boat. The price is typical for a 32 foot boat of this type with diesel engine, but also because of the modifications "made for cruising". They are easliy set up for single handing.
First impression, I'm not taken with the hard dodger/bimini, it adds a lot of windage and weight (as do some other additions).
Solid all around handrail. Davits. Mast steps. Massive solar array.
A functional interior; a bit tired. That upholstery would not be my choice. The saloon ports appear to be fixed, usually there were two opening ports further forward in the head and over the hanging locker.
Lazyjacks, lee cloths and a yard trailer, plus cradle are nice to have. The trailer doesn't look roadworthy - these boats are typically around 10,000 lbs.
The ad is pretty sparse in detail. I'd like to know what the anchoring system is (there may be a windlass). And more photos.
These are small, well-built boats but they are more than 40 years old, so state of gear/sails/engine is important. Most of that era had relatively short masts and were cutter-rigged. The yankee here is on a furler and the staysail looks to be hank-on. The draft is 3' 9" or so (1.14m) meaning if you run aground in the Bahamas you can get out and push.
The owner may have a problem selling from this distance. If he brought it back to Lake Ontario he'd have less trouble getting this price.
Price drop on this boat. Now $15K Canadian (~$12K US). This should sell quickly at this price, although the logistics are complicated.
Old 16-02-2022, 17:12   #3687
SuW

1981 C&C 36 $29K Canadian (~$23K US) in Rouses Point, NY, Lake Champlain on Canadian border.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voilier/laur...981/1431197852

The pictures show a boat in decent shape, clean interior. These boats were really very popular for families to go cruising to the Caribbean.

The boat looks relatively simple, used as a lake boat perhaps. Engine is probably original.

Don't be put off by the French listing. Many people in that part of the world communicate pretty well in English too.

Lake Champlain, NY, is pretty well the nearest big lake for Montreal people to sail on, so it is a very popular place to keep a bigger boat.
Old 16-02-2022, 17:45   #3688
SuW

1983 Hunter 34 price reduced to $25K Canadian (~$20K US) near Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/cit...-34/1605760036

Again, a straightforward good-sized conventional cruising boat. There are a lot of these around for comparison.

Interior looks clean. Some upholstery has been replaced. Some exterior canvas too, perhaps as the main sail cover and dodger don't match.

Pictures show rust stains on jib.

The plywood on the hull of the aft berth may shows signs of moisture, perhaps condensation.

Decent anchor, no windlass. Dinghy with electric motor included. A number of opening ports. Engine is probably original. Self-tailing winches and chart plotter are good to have.
Old 17-02-2022, 05:22   #3689

1972 Morgan outislander
$22,500

Listed 3 weeks ago in Savannah, GA

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...58214402030919
Seller's Description

36Ft 1972 Morgan OutIslander! Retractable center board. 2 1/2 ft draft center board up

I read C. Morgan preferred centerboards but dealers didn't want them but were an early option. I thought the draft would be the same either way with board up? Clean looking boat looks like newer paint. Non slip looks slippery?
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 06:11   #3690
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

I've been watching this one for a while, because I like the Pearson 424s. The price dropped on this one twice in the last month, putting it just under $30K now.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1980...n-424-7929998/

From the ad:
"The boat has been sitting on the hard for 10 years. Needs a good cleaning. Every system should be gone over. Hull and rigging looks to be in good shape. Will require some wood replacement where there was some leaks that caused damage. Engine will require servicing due to diesel fuel sitting in the tank and engines."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bear Pearson 424.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	253094  
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price