Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 22-01-2022, 10:03   #3586
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
Just noticed that this boat has gone down to $19K, not a bad price and it doesn't look like it's in terrible condition. https://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa...436096303.html
It's not in good condition. The newish engine is about all I like about it. It needs new canvas and sails, probably.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 14:49   #3587

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Not really, it's a small boat. A small space doesn't take much to heat.
It's just as likely to be propane. The Newport has solid fuel, diesel and propane versions.

How else would you heat a boat?
Here in the UK ,diesel is costing about 9.00 dollars per gallon ,the Newport burns about 1.5 gallons per day on low setting ,if you could fit a secondary fuel tank and run it off What is classed as heating oil ,then it becomes a more viable option financially

The most economic way to heat your boat in the UK is to use solid fuel
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 15:03   #3588

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by laird View Post
"Hauling coals to Newcastle" eh wot.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 16:32   #3589
SuW

Quote:
Here in the UK ,diesel is costing about 9.00 dollars per gallon ,the Newport burns about 1.5 gallons per day on low setting ,if you could fit a secondary fuel tank and run it off What is classed as heating oil ,then it becomes a more viable option financially
That does seem expensive! I suppose "heating oil" has some different tax rate which is why it's cheaper than diesel?

Would you leave the heater on 24 hours a day? I would think that might get too hot unless you were in a very cold climate, and I really don't like leaving those things unattended at night.
Old 22-01-2022, 17:08   #3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
That does seem expensive! I suppose "heating oil" has some different tax rate which is why it's cheaper than diesel?

Would you leave the heater on 24 hours a day? I would think that might get too hot unless you were in a very cold climate, and I really don't like leaving those things unattended at night.
Tax on diesel has gone through a lot of change recent!y ,whilst we were part of the European union , red diesel was no longer allowed to be used on pleasure craft ,previously you could fill up with red ,this has a lower taxation class ,in the UK we softened the blow by splitting it on a 60/40% basis 60% heating 40% propulsion , that allowance is about to be cancelled as HM treasury is looking at all ways to pay for covid

Industrial heating oil has a low tax class ,the problem with that is that it comes in 205 litre drums

On the other hand ,I could use very cheap solid fuel especially in Scotland I can source peat
,you can get this for free as long as you are prepared to cut it yourself ,it's the fuel that has been used for centuries , the Irish refer to it as turf
Old 22-01-2022, 17:27   #3591
SuW

Quote:
On the other hand ,I could use very cheap solid fuel especially in Scotland I can source peat ,you can get this for free as long as you are prepared to cut it yourself ,it's the fuel that has been used for centuries , the Irish refer to it as turf
Well, I don't think I could get away with that in my marina! However I expect you could build a house from the stuff, too!
Old 22-01-2022, 17:59   #3592

Boat: Preparing for Great Loop 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Procrastinating and perusing today, I thoght I'd contribute. So I'll offer these from my search.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/...423456794.html

Opinions?
Weighing in on this AMAZING thread for the first time (but I've been lurking for awhile). I just started the search for a boat to do the Great Loop, plus some time in Bahamas &/or Carib. I will actually be buying in the Southeast in Jan/Feb 23, but I'm getting a sense of what to look for and what to budget.

This Cherubini Hunter 37 is the first RECENT boat (possibly still available) that really grabbed my attention... assuming it has the shoal draft keel... lots of aesthetic TLC needed (work which I enjoy) and a brand new diesel (doesn't say what it is). Hunter's were good boats in the Cherubini years, roomy & comfy cruisers.
billder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 18:10   #3593

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Weighing in on this AMAZING thread for the first time (but I've been lurking for awhile). I just started the search for a boat to do the Great Loop, plus some time in Bahamas &/or Carib. I will actually be buying in the Southeast in Jan/Feb 23, but I'm getting a sense of what to look for and what to budget.

This Cherubini Hunter 37 is the first RECENT boat (possibly still available) that really grabbed my attention... assuming it has the shoal draft keel... lots of aesthetic TLC needed (work which I enjoy) and a brand new diesel (doesn't say what it is). Hunter's were good boats in the Cherubini years, roomy & comfy cruisers.

Welcome to the forum and this thread.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 18:36   #3594

Boat: Preparing for Great Loop 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
... if learning gives your life meaning then most any boat will do. And you don’t have to learn everything, there are some fundamentals of course. I don’t want to learn programming and Pi computers, so I don’t. There is plenty else to amuse me. For me learning keeps me young and interested and motivated. Any boat can be your classroom. Just pick one.
hpeer, I love this. I'm now 65 (just a youngster) but I continue to learn... in the last 15 years I moved to Mexico and learned to speak Spanish, and learned to play the guitar and sing (resonably well). I'm a Gen Contractor and construction engineer... always learning new trade craft, though I'll never be as good as the pros. Want to stay yourg? Keep learning! Learning is push-ups for the brain, and makes your brain strong.
billder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 07:02   #3595

Quote:

Cherubini 37 is a decent boat , boatman of this forum sailed one across the Atlantic ,he rates them
Old 23-01-2022, 08:33   #3596
SuW

Quote:

Wow! Go for it!
This is one of the best ideas, if you want to get used to cruising. It will change your life!

The Great Loop as usually defined is upstream in the St. Lawrence, across the Great Lakes to southern Lake Michigan, down the canals and rivers from there to the Gulf of Mexico, around Florida, then up the US/Canadian East coasts again. There are many slight route variations on this.

Everywhere has reasonable security, bribery/extortion is rare, there are good charts and navigation is easy with well-funded coastguard organisations. Fairly good access to marinas, fuel, clean water, and food supplies. Spare parts are accessible by overnight shipping.

Starting/finishing in the US south and east is wise, imo. Good boat markets, lots of facilities. You can sell your boat after as a "Looper".

While doing this in a sailboat can be done, that's a lot of motoring, some with the mast down. Quite a few loopers do it in powerboats, often trawler-type boats. Either way, there's a lot of advice available and camaraderie, both on and off the water.
Old 23-01-2022, 08:43   #3597

Boat: Tanzer 22 to learn to sail on .

Every once in a while you come across a boat and ask your self, I must be missing something?

Take a look at this beauty ! At a price that seems a misprint ? If I was ready to pull the trigger, I would be jumping in the car for a long road trip,lol.

Asking 18,000. THE LINK .https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1978...utter-7954950/

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this boat, and why it would look this good in pictures with an upgraded interior at this price.

Thanks Lady Captin.
Lady Captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 09:04   #3598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
Every once in a while you come across a boat and ask your self, I must be missing something?

Take a look at this beauty ! At a price that seems a misprint ? If I was ready to pull the trigger, I would be jumping in the car for a long road trip,lol.

Asking 18,000. THE LINK .https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1978...utter-7954950/

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this boat, and why it would look this good in pictures with an upgraded interior at this price.

Thanks Lady Captin.
Ad states:

A major price reduction has been made by the seller to reflect vessel is to be sold in an as-is-where-is condition. A recent survey found possible rudder delamination, a significant number of blisters on the bottom, electrical and plumbing issues.

On the plus side... the seller is being honest. Worth a look IMHO. Get an estimate for repairs. Negotiate. Get it for 12K. and laugh all the way home.
MyCatLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 09:11   #3599

Boat: Tanzer 22 to learn to sail on .

Found this one listed at only 18,000 dollars .

1978 Crealock Kendall 32 Cutter32'
$18,000

LINK.https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1978...utter-7954950/

I would love to have feed back on this boat, at this price with these pictures I must be missing something?

Sorry slow internet, so you have to go to link to get photos,

LadyCaptin
Lady Captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 09:22   #3600

Ad states:

A major price reduction has been made by the seller to reflect vessel is to be sold in an as-is-where-is condition. A recent survey found possible rudder delamination, a significant number of blisters on the bottom, electrical and plumbing issues.

On the plus side... the seller is being honest, and she is very pretty. I love Cutter rigs. Worth a look IMHO. Get an estimate for repairs. Negotiate. Get it for 12K. and laugh all the way home.
MyCatLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price