Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2022, 17:43   #3391
SuW
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morrisburg, ON
Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Posts: 1,093
Images: 1
Re: 41 Rhodes Bounty II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The engine is under the white painted step.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bounty-ii
Yeah, I wondered where they'd get the space to put in a Yanmar. Poor floor job at any rate. You can make a plywood on a floor look great with the right combination of epoxy, fibreglass, filler and paint!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:35   #3392
Registered User
 
SailingSeaGypsy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Boat: Still searching
Posts: 10
Re: 1964 Grampian US 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
I contacted the seller last night and he told me that his reason for selling was just wanting to do a quick flip on it. "Condition fair and in need of work". He bought it with no motor. More pictures to be posted after Sunday 1/9/2022.
SailingSeaGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:48   #3393
SuW
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morrisburg, ON
Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Posts: 1,093
Images: 1
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

1976 Bayfield 32 in Lake Wales Florida (owner in Ontario). $22K Canadian (I assume, $17.5K USD).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/lon...976/1600897757

I post this because I know this type of boat. The price is typical for a 32 foot boat of this type with diesel engine, but also because of the modifications "made for cruising". They are easliy set up for single handing.

First impression, I'm not taken with the hard dodger/bimini, it adds a lot of windage and weight (as do some other additions).

Solid all around handrail. Davits. Mast steps. Massive solar array.

A functional interior; a bit tired. That upholstery would not be my choice. The saloon ports appear to be fixed, usually there were two opening ports further forward in the head and over the hanging locker.

Lazyjacks, lee cloths and a yard trailer, plus cradle are nice to have. The trailer doesn't look roadworthy - these boats are typically around 10,000 lbs.

The ad is pretty sparse in detail. I'd like to know what the anchoring system is (there may be a windlass). And more photos.

These are small, well-built boats but they are more than 40 years old, so state of gear/sails/engine is important. Most of that era had relatively short masts and were cutter-rigged. The yankee here is on a furler and the staysail looks to be hank-on. The draft is 3' 9" or so (1.14m) meaning if you run aground in the Bahamas you can get out and push.

The owner may have a problem selling from this distance. If he brought it back to Lake Ontario he'd have less trouble getting this price.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 13:56   #3394
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 115
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
1976 Bayfield 32 in Lake Wales Florida (owner in Ontario). $22K Canadian (I assume, $17.5K USD).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/lon...976/1600897757

I post this because I know this type of boat. The price is typical for a 32 foot boat of this type with diesel engine, but also because of the modifications "made for cruising". They are easliy set up for single handing.

First impression, I'm not taken with the hard dodger/bimini, it adds a lot of windage and weight (as do some other additions).

Solid all around handrail. Davits. Mast steps. Massive solar array.

A functional interior; a bit tired. That upholstery would not be my choice. The saloon ports appear to be fixed, usually there were two opening ports further forward in the head and over the hanging locker.

Lazyjacks, lee cloths and a yard trailer, plus cradle are nice to have. The trailer doesn't look roadworthy - these boats are typically around 10,000 lbs.

The ad is pretty sparse in detail. I'd like to know what the anchoring system is (there may be a windlass). And more photos.

These are small, well-built boats but they are more than 40 years old, so state of gear/sails/engine is important. Most of that era had relatively short masts and were cutter-rigged. The yankee here is on a furler and the staysail looks to be hank-on. The draft is 3' 9" or so (1.14m) meaning if you run aground in the Bahamas you can get out and push.

The owner may have a problem selling from this distance. If he brought it back to Lake Ontario he'd have less trouble getting this price.
I looked at the link. I think they are really 29 footers. But that could work too. There are things you would like to read about the boats and when someone says little it makes you wonder if they know anything about the boat, or boats in general. Makes you wonder if they ever looked for a boat themselves at any time in their life? I like it when they have a complete rundown even if not posted they can email to you. Like I know you must get a lot of questions do you have a fact sheet you can send? When you have to pump all the answers from a seller it just makes for a bad day. Both party's get short tempered.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 17:18   #3395
Registered User
 
OutOfControl's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Boat: Key West 2020 CC
Posts: 451
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
1976 Bayfield 32 in Lake Wales Florida (owner in Ontario). $22K Canadian (I assume, $17.5K USD).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/lon...976/1600897757

I post this because I know this type of boat. The price is typical for a 32 foot boat of this type with diesel engine, but also because of the modifications "made for cruising". They are easliy set up for single handing.
This appears to be a better looking option than the link posted above. Not much more costly and an '83 model.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/92666

__________________
OutOfControl
OutOfControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 17:35   #3396
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Toronto
Boat: C&C 30
Posts: 120
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Now that is a "notable find" and a beautiful boat. Man this thread is the best on Cruisers Forum. It makes me want to quit my job, buy one of these boats, and let the chips fall where they may!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
This appears to be a better looking option than the link posted above. Not much more costly and an '83 model.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/92666

Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:39   #3397
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,690
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Beautiful looking

Contest 30' - $11,900
Lying: Shelbourne, Vermont, A4 Engine
https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d...426627769.html
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:28   #3398
SuW
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morrisburg, ON
Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Posts: 1,093
Images: 1
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
This appears to be a better looking option than the link posted above. Not much more costly and an '83 model.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/92666
I agree. Low engine hours, newish sails/canvas, clean interior.

The newer Bayfield 32s (called 32C) have some nice upgrades from the older 32B* (I have a 32B*):
  • much taller mast and a much longer bow platform, giving a bigger fore triangle, faster sail
  • engine controls moved to the helm from the forward part of the cockpit
  • more comfortable pilot seat at the helm
  • drawers under the V-berth
  • drawers'hanging locker in a cabinet opposite the head, rather than just an unstructured hangling locker
  • better arrangement of the counter, steps and ice box in the galley

This would fetch about $25-30K Canadian in the Great Lakes (about $17-25K US).

I emphasize that these are small boats. Limited storage, small tanks etc.

* Actually my SO says that what we have is a 32, the 32B was a prototype (only one built) for a race by the designer.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:43   #3399
SuW
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morrisburg, ON
Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Posts: 1,093
Images: 1
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
I looked at the link. I think they are really 29 footers. But that could work too. There are things you would like to read about the boats and when someone says little it makes you wonder if they know anything about the boat, or boats in general. Makes you wonder if they ever looked for a boat themselves at any time in their life? I like it when they have a complete rundown even if not posted they can email to you. Like I know you must get a lot of questions do you have a fact sheet you can send? When you have to pump all the answers from a seller it just makes for a bad day. Both party's get short tempered.
Yes, they not much more than 29, but there is also a slightly smaller Bayfield called a 29.

The 29 has no V-berth, but a large head compartment in the forward part of the boat that would make a nice shower room. The 32's head space is, really, really small. We installed a Nature's Head and you cannot close the head door when seated so you have the whole V-berth compartment to yourself (the door swings to close off from the saloon)

The 29 has a galley on the port side, pilot berth on starboard with perhaps a slightly better arrangement of space and a smaller cockpit.

We know of several people who have single-handedly cruised both of these boats; very easy. If you travel light, in every sense, these are a good compromise.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:55   #3400
SuW
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morrisburg, ON
Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Posts: 1,093
Images: 1
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
I looked at the link. I think they are really 29 footers. But that could work too. There are things you would like to read about the boats and when someone says little it makes you wonder if they know anything about the boat, or boats in general. Makes you wonder if they ever looked for a boat themselves at any time in their life? I like it when they have a complete rundown even if not posted they can email to you. Like I know you must get a lot of questions do you have a fact sheet you can send? When you have to pump all the answers from a seller it just makes for a bad day. Both party's get short tempered.
On your main point about the psychology of sellers, I agree totally.

Why people only put up a limited description and very few useful photos is a mystery. Perhaps their personal circumstances, someone is ill or died, but I've seen ads for a used $100 bicycle with more useful information!

I'd say that there are many sellers who are not serious - conflicted or confused at least. Every year people hang onto a boat, it deteriorates, devalues and usually costs money for storage. And yet, they hang on for fear of losing money!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:11   #3401
SuW
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morrisburg, ON
Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Posts: 1,093
Images: 1
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Beautiful looking

Contest 30' - $11,900
Lying: Shelbourne, Vermont, A4 Engine
https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d...426627769.html
Yeah, very nice. As a lake boat or small cottage it would be good, but considering the age, the gas engine, the small tanks, and deck-stepped wooden mast, the price is a bit high. (That's US dollars!)

On a cruising boat, I'd consider a diesel engine and metal spars to be pretty-well mandatory. Opening ports would be good, even for Lake Champlain in the summer (and insect screens!)
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:19   #3402
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Montreal
Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)
Posts: 121
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

[QUOTE=SuW;3551788]Yeah, very nice. As a lake boat or small cottage it would be good, but considering the age, the gas engine, the small tanks, and deck-stepped wooden mast, the price is a bit high. (That's US dollars!)

On a cruising boat, I'd consider a diesel engine and metal spars to be pretty-well mandatory. Opening ports would be good, even for Lake Champlain in the summer (and insect screens!)[/QUOTe

One item not clear in the ad is that it has a tabernacle.... pretty helpful on a smaller boat. Kind of makes this an attractive, possibly trailerable boat.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:50   #3403
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in Northern California working on the Ranch
Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 10,258
Images: 5
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
On your main point about the psychology of sellers, I agree totally.

Why people only put up a limited description and very few useful photos is a mystery. Perhaps their personal circumstances, someone is ill or died, but I've seen ads for a used $100 bicycle with more useful information!

I'd say that there are many sellers who are not serious - conflicted or confused at least. Every year people hang onto a boat, it deteriorates, devalues and usually costs money for storage. And yet, they hang on for fear of losing money!
This last time that I was boat shopping, I ran into a couple of estate situations where the adult children where tasked with seller their families boat. From the photo's you could tell they knew very little about boats...close ups of a corner of the settee...a picture of a microwave, ect.

The other thing I ran into were the brokers who had bigger fish to fry. If the boat was under $25K, the were very unresponsive. I actually wasted airfare on one such boat and expressed my displeasure for the inaccurate way the boat was represented. Patience payed off in the end.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:03   #3404
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 115
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Yes, they not much more than 29, but there is also a slightly smaller Bayfield called a 29.

The 29 has no V-berth, but a large head compartment in the forward part of the boat that would make a nice shower room. The 32's head space is, really, really small. We installed a Nature's Head and you cannot close the head door when seated so you have the whole V-berth compartment to yourself (the door swings to close off from the saloon)

The 29 has a galley on the port side, pilot berth on starboard with perhaps a slightly better arrangement of space and a smaller cockpit.

We know of several people who have single-handedly cruised both of these boats; very easy. If you travel light, in every sense, these are a good compromise.
I think they are very attractive looking boats, just add a water-maker and spend half the year in the Bahamas or Caribbean.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:34   #3405
Registered User
 
Gadagirl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 947
Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Procrastinating and perusing today, I thoght I'd contribute. So I'll offer these from my search.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bod/d/urbanna-cape-dory-30-cutter/7425489711.html

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/worton-beautiful-1976-pearson-35/7415012484.html

https://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/d/irvington-hunter-cherubini-sailboat/7423456794.html

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/woolford-hinckley-pilot-sloop/7409947516.html

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/rockville-cc-landfall-35-price-reduced/7408991515.html

I'm coming to the conclusion that in these times I will not easily find my "dream boat" even though I can now afford it. So I'll buy a smaller, cheaper boat and wait it out.

Opinions?
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.