Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2021, 12:57   #3211
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1-720d67e89e29
1980 Hunter Cherubini Sailboat 37ft
$18,000

Listed 2 days ago in Daytona Beach, FL

1980 Hunter Cherubini 18K OBO Engine and transmission has a little over 300hrs on it. I have 4 solar panels and a wind generator for it. New garmin with a new transducer. Interior was done about a year ago. 3 good sails.
These Cherubini designs have decent numbers with comfort ratio of 31.84, capsize 1.82 and 16.73 on Sail/displacemnt ratio. People report them worldwide and they sailed there. Looks pretty good in the pics, I would not be afraid to own one
Yes, I like this boat. Recent engine, OK sails allegedly. Good price.

Not too much exterior wood, unlike some we've seen here.

Davits are a nice to have, too. Can't really say about the cockpit, no pictures.

Some interior water damage on wood in head compartment. Also in V-berth. Not sure if that's a open chain locker forward of the V-berth. (If interior wood ply is delaminating - paint it white!)

Interior upholstery is recently done, by an amateur. In vinyl. Probably not in Ultraleather, so I wouldn't like to sleep on it! You could reupholster just the sleeping cushions though. I'm not a big fan of 9-foot long individual cushions although some people think it's cheaper to do that.

Probably all opening ports, there seem to be drain holes. If they are original they may all need replacing, which would be expensive, there are 10 of them!

Bruce anchor, not my choice. No windlass?

Unknown dodger/bimini condition. Some frames and something wrapped in plastic forward of the cockpit.

So, work to do on it before cruising, but a good basic boat.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 13:37   #3212

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
34 Ft O’Day shoal draft sailboat

34 Ft O’Day shoal draft sailboat -$15,000
I was down in Fort Myers last week and was inquiring in some marinas about boats for sale and this person got back to me. O'Days are nice sturdy boats. This one appears to be in good condition, but a bit smaller than what I'm looking for. The owner gave me permission to post their information on the forum.

"After living on the sailboat for 2 years and sailing, we’re ready to sell. Our 1984 boat is in Port Charlotte, FL ready to sail or motor anywhere. Original manual. Beam 11’3”; shoal keel 4’3”; mast height 47’2”; displacement 11,500 lbs; Universal 25hp, 3-cylinder, fresh water cooled Diesel engine; 2 battery banks, 2 sets of solar panels; Rigging in decent shape; Roller furling jib; 3hp Outboard motor; 10ft inflatable dinghy; Bottom recently cleaned and zinc in good shape. 6 berths; two 40 gallon fresh water tanks; 30 gallon gas; 15 gallon holding tank; 6 gallon hot water heater; 2 burner propane stove. Double sink, fridge/freezer and cooler for drinks, toilet, sink, shower, new purple mattress in V berth, 2 closets, radio, grill, garmin; 32” Roku smart TV; new covers on cushions." More pictures available upon request. (413) 717-8921‬

CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 15:27   #3213
SuW

Re: 34 Ft O’Day shoal draft sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
I was down in Fort Myers last week and was inquiring in some marinas about boats for sale and this person got back to me. O'Days are nice sturdy boats. This one appears to be in good condition, but a bit smaller than what I'm looking for. The owner gave me permission to post their information on the forum.
"After living on the sailboat for 2 years and sailing, we’re ready to sell. Our 1984 boat is in Port Charlotte, FL ready to sail or motor anywhere. Original manual. Beam 11’3”; shoal keel 4’3”; mast height 47’2”; displacement 11,500 lbs; Universal 25hp, 3-cylinder, fresh water cooled Diesel engine; 2 battery banks, 2 sets of solar panels; Rigging in decent shape; Roller furling jib; 3hp Outboard motor; 10ft inflatable dinghy; Bottom recently cleaned and zinc in good shape. 6 berths; two 40 gallon fresh water tanks; 30 gallon gas; 15 gallon holding tank; 6 gallon hot water heater; 2 burner propane stove. Double sink, fridge/freezer and cooler for drinks, toilet, sink, shower, new purple mattress in V berth, 2 closets, radio, grill, garmin; 32” Roku smart TV; new covers on cushions." More pictures available upon request. (413) 717-8921‬
Sounds good! I didn't see the pictures though.
Old 12-12-2021, 19:15   #3214

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Try this,
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl...415798620.html
Old 12-12-2021, 20:59   #3215

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho

Quote:
Are the pictures not showing up? I was communicating with the owners through text and maybe my provider won't let me share them. Glad the CL ad was found.
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 01:15   #3216

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post

That’s an excellent price for an O34, and I can certainly recommend them.

My first boat was a 1984 O34 that’d been owned by one guy for 12 years, then sold to the fella I bought it from. $21k at the start of the ‘08 financial recession and we took it from Ft Laud down to Coco Grove, onto Key West for a very interesting NYE, and then back to Coco before crossing to the Bahamas for a season.

Plenty of space aboard for a couple, pretty rapid in light and heavier winds, and such a good training boat. I ended up selling it in George Town and still wonder what would’ve happened had I just stayed aboard and bobbed around the Carib for a few more years. We actually ran into the 12-year previous owner in GT and he had nothing but great words to say about his former love (home).

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 07:39   #3217
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
Thanks, OOC.

For a boat that hasn't been staged for sale, and is being lived aboard, that looks OK. I like the basic boat. The price of a top-end one of these is about $30K, and this one isn't perfect by any means.

More photos needed. Propane installation? Engine?
Anchor and ground tackle would be good to know about. Dodger/bimini/cockpit?

Good to have an inflatable dinghy with engine.

A lot of interior surfaces (teak ply) could be stripped and revarnished (or painted white.) Not important if you can live with it.

These have quite a bit of storage for a shoal draft boat.

I'm not fond of the interior upholstery design, but it's clean and in good shape. I like the small folding table, compared to many boats like this with large fixed tables. I like the opening ports. Check the fixed ports, they may leak, but repairing or replacing them is straightforward.

Personally, I'd get rid of the water heater and microwave. If you're in a marina plugged-in you can have hot water. 6 gallons is not much. The rest of the time it's a waste of space. (And most marinas have showers with hot water.)

I'm not sure, is that stainless welded elbow thing in the port cockpit locker an emergency rudder or something?

There is a lot going on in the battery installation area aft of the engine. It doesn't look particularly safe to me.The lids of the battery boxes, obviously don't fit when the solar charger is clipped on so they are sitting in the port cockpit locker adjacent. I know every cruising boat is a compromise and we live with things like this.

Are the batteries tied down strongly and protected from a metal object being shoved in through the cockpit lockers? The solar installation should be cleaned up with a permanent controller/wiring part and a removable plug-in panels part.
Old 13-12-2021, 12:36   #3218

I have a can of Brasso, all the work I want to do is shine the bell.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 16:44   #3219
SuW

Quote:
lol...then perhaps you should rent a boat? Or better yet, go visit a friend with a boat? People always need bell-polishers!
Old 13-12-2021, 16:49   #3220

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
If it Flies, Floats, or F**ks, rent it. It's cheaper.
Old 13-12-2021, 17:00   #3221

You are both correct, I plan on holding back pulling the trigger on any yacht until I'm absolutely sure I can sail in proper leisure. With a suitable dodger to keep the winds from blowing the cinders of my pipe askew. One hand on the tiller, the other on the martinis.
Old 13-12-2021, 17:24   #3222
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
If it Flies, Floats, or F**ks, rent it. It's cheaper.
lol...well my SO has many, many skills in addition to the aforementioned. But like we said before, you gotta kiss quite a few frogs!
Old 13-12-2021, 17:30   #3223
SuW

Quote:
You are both correct, I plan on holding back pulling the trigger on any yacht until I'm absolutely sure I can sail in proper leisure. With a suitable dodger to keep the winds from blowing the cinders of my pipe askew. One hand on the tiller, the other on the martinis.
I also highly recommend a complete zip-in enclosure for the cockpit. We made one for our boat last winter and this summer, even in driving rain, we were able to sit in the cockpit to eat or loaf about.

It's made a big difference to our boating lifestyle on a small boat. Including hanging up wet clothing to dry or taking a cockpit shower in privacy when aboard.
Old 14-12-2021, 04:50   #3224

Quote:
I also highly recommend a complete zip-in enclosure for the cockpit. We made one for our boat last winter and this summer, even in driving rain, we were able to sit in the cockpit to eat or loaf about.

It's made a big difference to our boating lifestyle on a small boat. Including hanging up wet clothing to dry or taking a cockpit shower in privacy when aboard.
Sounds like having an extra room, I can imagine it's pricey to have it made. Some no-see-um screens would be nice too.
Old 14-12-2021, 13:36   #3225
SuW

Quote:
Sounds like having an extra room, I can imagine it's pricey to have it made. Some no-see-um screens would be nice too.
Yes, I have heard people getting fairly large quotes for full enclosures, but it you have a dodger and bimini already (we made those as well) it is just the cost of the fabric, and many, many zippers! We used Phifertex for insect screens, and added those later. I don't think that well keep out no-see-ums, but it works for the rather stupid mosquitoes and deer flies we have up here.

I have pictures if anyone's interested (no, I don't sew professionally, but advice is free! )

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price