Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 13:39   #301

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielpe View Post
Excellent thread, it convinced me to become a new member. Here I found this:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/43992

What do you guys think?
Welcome here!
I like it, I'd definitely take a closer look at it.. but I am wondering, what's wrong with it?... it's too inexpensive... maybe it has a blister problem (which is not necessarily a big problem)
Perkins is good, but what shape is it in? How are sails? Well, you know the drill, find a good surveyor...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 13:49   #302
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Parothead View Post
Keen eye steady! I agree with your thoughts here. It's too much of a project for me but perhaps some other enterprising CF member could find this a diamond in the rough

Incidentally I reached out to the broker for the Endeavour you listed above. The motor won't run. That's why is is priced as it is. More photos and vids at svtradewind.com

Good to know (about the other previously posted boat's motor). I was not aware of that or perhaps missed mention of that in the sale listing. I would hope that ALL brokers would be upfront about something that significant in their listings.

Project Boats in This Thread?

As for my own "filter" on the boats I am posting here in this thread, I am trying to focus on boats that are "ready to sail" and not "project" boats. So, I do hope that all the boats we discuss can fit that category. Reason? Some project boats are worthless, so even if listed at a low price or free, they may not be sailable.

I think most readers of this thread will be interested in "ready to sail" boats so I will concentrate on those.

In my view, "Project boats" are a very different category. While I know there are people interested in them, and I occasionally view them myself, I just don't have time to feature them because I think the market for them is small.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 13:55   #303
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome here!
I like it, I'd definitely take a closer look at it.. but I am wondering, what's wrong with it?... it's too inexpensive... maybe it has a blister problem (which is not necessarily a big problem)
Perkins is good, but what shape is it in? How are sails? Well, you know the drill, find a good surveyor...
While that boat does appear nice in some ways, and does have a low Asking Price, the reason I did not feature that particular boat (and chose another sister boat instead to represent that make/model) is because the sale listing says down at the bottom "Project Boat" and that is posted by the owner.

Here is my view about Project Boats in this thread, I just posted this in response to another boat I consider a Project Boat:

Good to know (about the other previously posted boat's motor). I was not aware of that or perhaps missed mention of that in the sale listing. I would hope that ALL brokers would be upfront about something that significant in their listings.

As for my own "filter" on the boats I am posting here in this thread, I am trying to focus on boats that are "ready to sail" and not "project" boats. So, I do hope that all the boats we discuss can fit that category. Reason? Some project boats are worthless, so even if listed at a low price or free, they may not be sailable.

I think most readers of this thread will be interested in "ready to sail" boats so I will concentrate on those.

In my view, "Project boats" are a very different category. While I know there are people interested in them, and I occasionally view them myself, I just don't have time to feature them because I think the market for them is small.
Old 15-11-2016, 14:08   #304

Boat: Between boats--currently shopping

The blown motor was definitely not in the listing. On the website it reads like it hasn't worked for a while
The current owners bought Tradewind in 2012. She had been sitting for a while with an inoperable engine.
From the boats listing webpage: The current owners bought Tradewind in 2012. She had been sitting for a while with an inoperable engine. They found a rebuilt engine almost immediately and installed it, and ever since Tradewind has been busy traveling all over Galveston Bay and to Port Arthur, Texas several times, both in the ICW and offshore. :

So the question is why is recently refurbed motor not operating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

AZ Parothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 14:13   #305
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Parothead View Post
The blown motor was definitely not in the listing. On the website it reads like it hasn't worked for a while
The current owners bought Tradewind in 2012. She had been sitting for a while with an inoperable engine.
From the boats listing webpage: The current owners bought Tradewind in 2012. She had been sitting for a while with an inoperable engine. They found a rebuilt engine almost immediately and installed it, and ever since Tradewind has been busy traveling all over Galveston Bay and to Port Arthur, Texas several times, both in the ICW and offshore. :

So the question is why is recently refurbed motor not operating?
Good digging and good question!

From what you just posted, I suspect there may be some miscommunication.

Brokers have a lot of boats to list (usually) and I have seen that most do NOT have good perfect recall of any details about a particular listing. So, it could be a simple "mix up" of condition details.

It happens.

Perhaps the broker did not know the details and mistakenly said it is not running now. Or perhaps the broker does know the details and was unclear in his listing. ???

In this case, I would ask to speak with the current owner, if possible to clarify.
If the broker does not want to connect you to the owner, then politely point out the mixed messages about the engine and give the broker a chance to verify and possibly discover his mistake.
Old 15-11-2016, 15:00   #306
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Up above I mentioned I use a personal "filter" when viewing boats and considering them for this thread and others I started.

In general, I look for a boat that I think appears to be in "sailable" or "ready to sail" or "could be ready to sail without too much work" condition.

This does not mean the boat has to be sitting in a slip with sails on it.

Of course some of the boats are shown sitting on the hard, out of the water, but that is not unusual in many parts of the country where unused boats are taken out of the water during the off season, or simply to reduce storage costs or to refit them for sale.

Of course I am only looking at the boats online, like all of us, and reading the sale listings and viewing the photos, just like you can.

So, there may be things that are NOT shown in the photos or listing that could make the boats more costly or more difficult to get in sailing condition.

But, back to my own "filter" I use, I do NOT post boats that have some of these obvious problems (see list below) mentioned in the sale listings because that may indicate serious problems or high cost repairs needed.

I am generally looking for boats that appear to be in "good" to "very good" to "excellent" condition inside and out.

Boats I Exclude from This Thread

"Needs engine". (For smaller boats that only need an outboard, this is OK.)
"Inboard Engine does not work"
"Needs mast"
"Needs rudder"
"Boat sank at dock"
"Boat had fire inside"
"Boat was damaged during Hurricane"
"Boat was damaged in collision"
"Boat was salvaged"
"Boat has been partially underwater"
"Boat has delamination"
"Boat is a Project Boat"
"Boat has no title"
"Boat needs thorough cleaning" (and looks like a derelict)

Those kinds of things are just too big of a risk and too much of a Red Flag for me to add that particular boat to this thread. There may be many other boats of that make/model that could be posted instead.

Again, I hope this thread introduces the reader to some NOTEWORTHY boats that are seen that could be a good fit for a sailor looking for a boat within a $30K budget.

As with ANY boat listed for sale, "Caveat Emptor!"

Finally, I do hope to keep this thread free from posting obvious "Project Boats" because they may fit the "Less than $30K" of the topic, but do not fit the INTENT of this thread, which is to bring up boats that someone may want to buy to sail soon.

I hope that helps clarify my view. You may see it differently.
Old 15-11-2016, 17:13   #307

Boat: Between boats--currently shopping
Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Response from broker:

Hi Jonathan,
Yes that's correct, a mechanic looked at it and believes it needs a new main bearing . The engine cranks but will not turn over. We have priced it to reflect the issue with the engine. Do you have any other questions I can answer?

His version of priced appropriately and mine are different things.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Good digging and good question!

From what you just posted, I suspect there may be some miscommunication.

Brokers have a lot of boats to list (usually) and I have seen that most do NOT have good perfect recall of any details about a particular listing. So, it could be a simple "mix up" of condition details.

It happens.

Perhaps the broker did not know the details and mistakenly said it is not running now. Or perhaps the broker does know the details and was unclear in his listing. ???

In this case, I would ask to speak with the current owner, if possible to clarify.

If the broker does not want to connect you to the owner, then politely point out the mixed messages about the engine and give the broker a chance to verify and possibly discover his mistake.
AZ Parothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 15:14   #308
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

C & C 40

Survey of 2016 Asking Prices = $20K to $44K

Steady's NOTES:
This design is a good example of a Cruiser/Racer that was popular in the early 1980s. About 125 boats of this model were built between 1978 and 1983.

In 2016 the Asking Prices range from about $20K to $44K depending upon condition (Has the boat been refitted recently?).

This is a boat that was designed to be fast but also comfortable for cruising. Some have nice full Teak interiors, while one I saw has simile white bulkheads (less teak).

Noteworthy features of these boats include:
Pilot Berths outboard of the two settees in the Saloon (for large racing crews)
Large galley
7 foot draft fin keel and spade rudder
Balsa Core Deck and Hull

On that last point I want to make sure that readers of this thread are aware that this model of boat, along with others made by C&C has balsa core in not only the deck, but also the hull (almost all of the hull).

This can be an issue that causes some sailors to pass on these boats, due to the possible risk of balsa core (in the hull) saturation and rot due to water ingress. Caveat Emptor!

Of course some other sailors will say that it has not been a problem for them on their own boats. So, be aware that opinions on this matter do differ.

Here is a list of threads in CF that discussed the C&C 40:
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...040&gsc.page=1

As with any boat, it is wise to do your research on known issues with the make and model or design. In this case, I encourage CF readers to search the CF Archives for mention of the C&C boats like this, and to read carefully the many comments from experienced owners and a few CF members who are professional yacht surveyors. I did.

In addition, there is a review of this boat design that was done by Practical Sailor magazine. It is a very extensive and detailed review and should be read before you buy a boat like this.
Reviews
C&C 40 - Boat Reviews Article

Also, there is another model that is similar, a variation known as the "40AC" or "Aft Cabin" version of this design. What makes it different is some changes to making it more of a "cruising" boat with a bulkhead that creates an "Aft Cabin" that is enclosed, rather than just a quarter berth.

Specs
Keel: Fin
Rudder = Spade

Dimensions
LOA: 39 ft 7 in
Beam: 12 ft 8 in
LWL: 31 ft 6 in
Minimum Draft: 7 ft 6 in Some listings show 7 feet. Verify!
Ballast: 7910 lbs
Dry Weight: 17000 lbs

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: 60
Holding Tanks: 20
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1567.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	136312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	136313  

Name:	IMG_1569.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	136314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1572.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	136315  

Name:	IMG_1571.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	136316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	136317  

Name:	IMG_1558.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	136318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1559.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	136319  

Name:	IMG_1561.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	136320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1563.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	136321  

Name:	IMG_1570.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	136322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1562.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	136323  

Old 16-11-2016, 16:39   #309
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

C & C 40AC "Aft Cabin"

Asking Price = $19,900
Location = Florida

See my Notes in previous post about the C&C 40 design.

Listing = https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bod/5856200598.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1576.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	136326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1577.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	136327  

Name:	IMG_1578.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	136328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1579.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	136329  

Name:	IMG_1580.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	136330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1581.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	136331  

Name:	IMG_1582.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	136332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1583.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	136333  

Name:	IMG_1584.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	136334  
Old 17-11-2016, 19:58   #310

Posted without comment or commentary.

1972 Prout Snowgoose Catamaran
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 21:38   #311
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Kalik 40

New Listing (Nov 17th 2016)
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981...w#.WC6UrrROKhC

Kalik 40 1981
Asking Price = $19,000
Location = Westport CT
There is a lot to like about this boat. It has some nice equipment and some updated gear and some nice sails (racing type) and what appears to be nice condition interior (with nice wood). Look over the details found on the sale listing. This is a lot of boat for this price. And, it looks handsome.

NOTE: I always include a few photos of sisterships, so some of the photos below may NOT be of the boat found via the sale listing.

The first FIVE photos shown below (RED DOG) are of the boat seen via the sale listing.

Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

Specs
Builder: Il-Sung Yacht
Designer: Gary Mull
Keel: Fin

Dimensions
LOA: 40 ft 0 in
Beam: 12 ft 9 in
LWL: 34 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 6 ft 6 in
Displacement: 18500 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 60 ft 0 in

Engines
Total Power: 50 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: VW Pathfinder
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1550
Engine Power: 50 HP

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: (150 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (50 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (30 Gallons)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1629.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	136404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1630.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	136405  

Name:	IMG_1631.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	136406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1632.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	136407  

Name:	IMG_1638.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	136408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1633.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	136409  

Name:	IMG_1634.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	136410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1636.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	136411  

Name:	IMG_1635.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	136412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1637.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	136413  

Old 20-11-2016, 10:30   #312

Boat: Westsail 28

I semi kinda know this guy his youtube posts are a hoot . Although this is over the limit $wise I thought you might enjoy looking .
WESTSAIL 32,turn key cruiser, epirb, ssb etc OBO
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 15:33   #313

1971 Custom Al Mason Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Looks like a no non-sense boat. Good designer & shoal draft
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 15:45   #314

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by old frog View Post

That's a boat I'd check out for sure. The mainsheet is interesting, never seen it done like that...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 16:46   #315
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by old frog View Post

Does look good, it is wood construction but not sure what type.

Same broker has a 30' Cape Dory for 18,000

Metinic Yacht Brokers (Harborside, ME)
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price