Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 15-11-2021, 06:48   #3046
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
First, Welcome to the forum. To point out the obvious...wouldn't it make more sense to sale a piece of art to a person interested in art?...Then but a boat with that money? As pointed out previously, there are many boats that might serve you better than an Alberg 30.
In the absence of some kind of evidence to the contrary, I hear this request as an attempt to launder money, or perhaps worse.

Call me mean-spirited if you like
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 06:55   #3047

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
In the absence of some kind of evidence to the contrary, I hear this request as an attempt to launder money, or perhaps worse.

Call me mean-spirited if you like
Ok…Troll alert!
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 15:41   #3048

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
Soverel 41

Soverel 41 - $28,000 (sunnyvale ca)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa...408103554.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 20:15   #3049

https://monterey.craigslist.org/boa/...404746953.html
$2,200

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 16-11-2021, 20:33   #3050

Flew up to Seattle, rented a car and hotel room to look at the Ohlson 38.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...on-38-8089879/

Typical Boat Broker. They show 9 of the crappiest pictures possible. I call and get the run-around when I ask for more "detailed" pictures. The "Broker Associate" wouldn't do it. I explain I'm spending $700 to fly up and look at it. Finally I call the guy that owns the brokerage. He sends another dozen pictures that I figure is better than nothing.

They tell me that it needs a few things finished inside that the former owner did not finish before he passed away. I fly in and of course up in the Northwest this time of year is torrential downpour. So the 1 1/2 hours of driving in that crap was fun. It worked in my favor as I identified all the boats leaks. Mostly hull to deck joint. I was going through the Nav station (as I always do) to find any paperwork that can clue me into what I'm looking at. Lo and behold are 3 surveys. 1995, 2011 and 2015. All describing in detail the defects of the boat. Talk about making life easy! The last 2 mentioned bad areas on the deck. Sure enough they were still there. Especially around the genny track. The main was original I think from 1970. Bad stitching and in the 2 spots I checked, lots of hand sewn repairs. To it's credit, self-tailers and electric Maxwell windlass.

Oh the sad look on the Associates face when I told him nada mas.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 17-11-2021, 05:37   #3051

Quote:

Typical Boat Broker. They show 9 of the crappiest pictures possible. I call and get the run-around when I ask for more "detailed" pictures. The "Broker Associate" wouldn't do it. I explain I'm spending $700 to fly up and look at it. Finally I call the guy that owns the brokerage. He sends another dozen pictures that I figure is better than nothing.

They tell me that it needs a few things finished inside that the former owner did not finish before he passed away. I fly in and of course up in the Northwest this time of year is torrential downpour. So the 1 1/2 hours of driving in that crap was fun. It worked in my favor as I identified all the boats leaks. Mostly hull to deck joint. I was going through the Nav station (as I always do) to find any paperwork that can clue me into what I'm looking at. Lo and behold are 3 surveys. 1995, 2011 and 2015. All describing in detail the defects of the boat. Talk about making life easy! The last 2 mentioned bad areas on the deck. Sure enough they were still there. Especially around the genny track. The main was original I think from 1970. Bad stitching and in the 2 spots I checked, lots of hand sewn repairs. To it's credit, self-tailers and electric Maxwell windlass.

what would you say it is worth? or its just not worth the trouble?
paisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 06:54   #3052
SuW

Quote:
Interesting trip report. Most brokers won't touch a boat like this, for fairly obvious reasons - too much work for very little reward.

Did you see any other boats while you were in the area?

You've got to kiss a lot of frogs...
Old 17-11-2021, 07:57   #3053
SuW

1981 Niagara 35 near Toronto, Canada. $38K Cdn (~$30K US).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/oak...-35/1594374146

These boats make very nice liveaboards and cruising boats. Big cockpit. Large interior. The pictures look good (the only thing I dislike is what appears to be a propane water heater).

The galleys on these are interesting; they are arranged in a fore-and-aft corridor immediately below the companionway, so it's efficient for cooking with a work surface either side. I think it's a modified fin keel with skeg-hung rudder, iirc.

Completely inadequate listing...lol...if someone wants this kind of money you'd think they would at least prepare a list of gear.

It looks like decent ground tackle (modern anchor and windlass). Autopilot. Instruments at helm. Self-tailing primary winches.

I knew a family of 3 that cruised for several years on one of these. They were very expensive in their day.
Old 17-11-2021, 08:21   #3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisan View Post
what would you say it is worth? or its just not worth the trouble?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Interesting trip report. Most brokers won't touch a boat like this, for fairly obvious reasons - too much work for very little reward.

Did you see any other boats while you were in the area?

You've got to kiss a lot of frogs...
Yup...Know all about kissing frogs. My wife made me promise..."No boats unless it's within driving distance.
The brokerage had a low inventory, so I suppose they were taking in anything. For a single younger guy who really knows how to work on boats, this could be a fair buy at $12K-$15K. No more. I know brokers love to peddle the "Inject epoxy in deck core" B.S. That never works. To do it right you have to remove deck skin. The deck joint needs to be separated, caulked and refastened. I did all that back in the 90's to a Tartan Blackwatch 37. It took months of work at 20 hours a week.

There are a lot of boats out there in the under $30K price range as you see from this thread. Looking at another gem tomorrow. I will report on that one later. Its huge, so I would bring my partner in on that restore.
Old 17-11-2021, 09:35   #3055

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Anyone looking for an Alberg 35 in superb condition for under $20,000? I have a friend getting ready to sell his. It is not yet listed. It is located in Wilmington, CA. Very well maintained and upgraded.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 17:44   #3056

Ok!...Went and looked at this boat today...
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1980...ek-44-8089709/

It's a Kalik 44.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kalik5.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	248520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kalik6.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	248521  

Name:	Kalik2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	248522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kalik3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	248523  

Name:	Kalik4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	248524  
Old 18-11-2021, 19:55   #3057

Quote:
Ok!...Went and looked at this boat today...
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1980...ek-44-8089709/

It's a Kalik 44.
pretty big for a hyundai . .

read the survey then realized its from 1983.

looks to have been neglected awhile

what'd ya say capt can you save her?

some of these old boats free is too expensive.
paisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 20:20   #3058

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisan View Post
pretty big for a hyundai . .

read the survey then realized its from 1983.

looks to have been neglected awhile

what'd ya say capt can you save her?

some of these old boats free is too expensive.

I have a former business partner that I bring in on other types of projects to come in and look at it with me. We both came to the same conclusion that this is a perfect boat for someone under 50 that can donate 20 hours a week for a few years to bring her back. It would really make a great cruiser. To be honest, the only reason I looked at her was she was 2 hours away. I hope someone gets her.
Old 18-11-2021, 23:30   #3059

Boat: Bavaria 35E

Quote:

A 1970 38 foot Boat for $19k. What were really expecting?
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 00:00   #3060

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
A 1970 38 foot Boat for $19k. What were really expecting?
Honesty from a broker...Like anyone would expect.

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price