Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2021, 20:25   #2836
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in Northern California working on the Ranch
Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 10,249
Images: 5
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35365711942...YAAOSw0A1hMoUe


Another cheap one in Ca.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 20:37   #2837
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 13,054
Images: 58
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
No...but maybe it was the one I was suppose to crew on as a delivery from Santa Cruz, Ca. to Hawaii and the delivery skipper wanted the hull surveyed. Some crazing was found and when tapped gently with an 8 oz. chipping hammer, a chunk of the hull fell out to expose it's deteriorating rebar.
Or maybe it was the one in Guaymas Mexico that had hauled out due to a strange oil like slick that was constantly in the water only to find the bilge oil was migrating through the hull. Have a nice day
There was one in the yard here a few years back. The entire hull was delaminating from its rebar. Kinda left an impression on me.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 00:59   #2838
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in Northern California working on the Ranch
Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 10,249
Images: 5
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
There was one in the yard here a few years back. The entire hull was delaminating from its rebar. Kinda left an impression on me.

and it's owner I would imagine.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:56   #2839
Registered User
 
Stormsignal's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Africa
Boat: 32ft Samson C-Mist
Posts: 52
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
No...but maybe it was the one I was suppose to crew on as a delivery from Santa Cruz, Ca. to Hawaii and the delivery skipper wanted the hull surveyed. Some crazing was found and when tapped gently with an 8 oz. chipping hammer, a chunk of the hull fell out to expose it's deteriorating rebar.
Or maybe it was the one in Guaymas Mexico that had hauled out due to a strange oil like slick that was constantly in the water only to find the bilge oil was migrating through the hull. Have a nice day
How about I list the tales of badly built and poorly maintained GRP, Steel and Alu boats?

Well built ferros have taken their owners all over the world and some have done so for more than 50 years.
__________________
Stormsignal
Stormsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:58   #2840
Registered User
 
Stormsignal's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Africa
Boat: 32ft Samson C-Mist
Posts: 52
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
There was one in the yard here a few years back. The entire hull was delaminating from its rebar. Kinda left an impression on me.
Versus many hundreds that have travelled oceans safely and for multiple decades.
__________________
Stormsignal
Stormsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:00   #2841
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in Northern California working on the Ranch
Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 10,249
Images: 5
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormsignal View Post
How about I list the tales of badly built and poorly maintained GRP, Steel and Alu boats?

Well built ferros have taken their owners all over the world and some have done so for more than 50 years.

Please do and I'll add to those lists too. Most of which were DIYers. But not all, since Southern California companies produced some real losers too. Maybe you need to ask yourself why 99.5% of all recreational boats are of one material.
An empty polyethylene bottle with the cap on it can eventually make it's way around the world...it doesn't mean that it is a suited material to make a boat out of.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:29   #2842
Registered User
 
Stormsignal's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Africa
Boat: 32ft Samson C-Mist
Posts: 52
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Please do and I'll add to those lists too. Most of which were DIYers. But not all, since Southern California companies produced some real losers too. Maybe you need to ask yourself why 99.5% of all recreational boats are of one material.
An empty polyethylene bottle with the cap on it can eventually make it's way around the world...it doesn't mean that it is a suited material to make a boat out of.
You total ignorance on the subject of ferro boat construction is stunning.

But you go right ahead and keep digging sparky.
__________________
Stormsignal
Stormsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:33   #2843
SuW
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morrisburg, ON
Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Posts: 1,093
Images: 1
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Hey guys, can we stop this argument? Please.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 14:21   #2844
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 13,054
Images: 58
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormsignal View Post
Versus many hundreds that have travelled oceans safely and for multiple decades.
Fair enough. I am not an expert on ferro cement boats. I should also mention that at that same time there was a glass boat right next to it, riddled with osmotic blisters.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 15:51   #2845
Registered User
 
jeanathon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WNC mountains U.S.
Boat: Boatless
Posts: 1,055
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Thread drift. So what did you think of my Jacksonville beauty?
__________________
I'm not saying all vegans are as militant as Hitler. I'm just saying it's a top down culture.
jeanathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 19:49   #2846
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in Northern California working on the Ranch
Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 10,249
Images: 5
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

1979 ALEUTIAN 51 KETCH - $20,000 (Oxnard)







craigslist - Map data OpenStreetMap



3203 s. victoria near anacapa boatyard
(google map)

condition: fair
length overall (LOA): 58
make / manufacturer: CBH
model name / number: ALEUTIAN 51
propulsion type: sail
year manufactured: 1979


GREAT BOAT. NEEDS T.L.C.. HAS NEW REBUILT ENGINE READY TO INSTALL.
NO MORE PICTURES AVALIABLE.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 21:17   #2847
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Boat: Boatless at the moment
Posts: 79
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
1979 ALEUTIAN 51 KETCH - $20,000 (Oxnard)







craigslist - Map data OpenStreetMap



3203 s. victoria near anacapa boatyard
(google map)

condition: fair
length overall (LOA): 58
make / manufacturer: CBH
model name / number: ALEUTIAN 51
propulsion type: sail
year manufactured: 1979


GREAT BOAT. NEEDS T.L.C.. HAS NEW REBUILT ENGINE READY TO INSTALL.
NO MORE PICTURES AVALIABLE.
Dang, this could be a great boat for someone if it's not too far gone! Here is the link to the actual ad, in case anyone is interested: https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/...372915276.html

ANd here is a discussion of the Aleutian 51 model, one of the boats mentioned in there is probably the one for sale, and if so it seems to have been languishing since 2015, so it may need al lot, but owners had lots of good things to say about these boats: https://livefree2sailfast.com/2017/1...ian-51-owners/
__________________
Katapult Mike
Katapult Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 22:06   #2848
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in Northern California working on the Ranch
Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 10,249
Images: 5
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Well we all missed it last night on craigslist in Chula Vista, Ca. A Westsail 39 for $2000. The owners had to bail and it had to be out of the slip by October. Not too rough just unfinished with a running engine.
This is what they look like...CS
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:36   #2849
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 288
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well we all missed it last night on craigslist in Chula Vista, Ca. A Westsail 39 for $2000. The owners had to bail and it had to be out of the slip by October. Not too rough just unfinished with a running engine.
This is what they look like...CS
Looks like a real bargain
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 00:35   #2850
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in Northern California working on the Ranch
Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 10,249
Images: 5
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20359698112...EAAOSwlyFhN~Hi
Here's a good deal if you know your way around boats.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.