Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 10:10   #1921

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Is it allowed to mention that my 1984 Aphrodite 101 is in beautiful shape and offered at $15K? My wife doesn't think I am safe to go to sea...
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 13:50   #1922
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyp View Post
F-27 for $27K

I wonder if there is something wrong with it. As a mostly inland cruiser, this is my dream boat hehe, but still out of my super small budget (currently in a $4K Mac26D).

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...7-400-3541749/
No, I think it's a reasonable price for a professionally built folding trimaran.
It looks in reasonable shape for its age.

These are not in great demand as liveaboards, very spartan interior, very little storage, no engine (you would have to buy an outboard). And get a large vehicle to tow it.

Edit: My mistake, it does refer to an outboard motor in the spec. Another thing to check.

Things to check for: any cored material may have moisture and delamination; windows and hatches may leak; I think there's a swivel mechanism in the mast mount that should be checked for wear, and the hinges of the amas; and condition of trailer.

They are trailerable, although putting up the mast and getting the amas rigged takes all day, in my experience, so don't be doing it at a busy launch ramp. But they sail like the very Devil!

Ignore all the marketing speak in the description. Australian pedigree... guarantees seaworthiness, lol...

Also, get a heavier anchor, these will sail all over an anchorage and drag easily.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 14:50   #1923

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Endeavour 37

Year = 1977

Asking Price = $19,995

Location = Muskegon MI (Great Lakes)

Notable Things:
1. “A” Plan (my preference if live aboard intended)
2. this boat has a Vetus bow thruster
3. I have written about this design before on this thread (on one of the earliest posts in this thread).

LINK = https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...tent=PBS-1Text

Here is another Endeavour 37 with the “B” plan so you can compare them. Asking $29K, Location Florida.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ent=PBS-1Image

It's interesting...You had a similar thread almost 4 years ago, with all these great deals on boats. Have you still not bought a boat?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 14:56   #1924

Boat: ALBERG 30

there ia an ALBERG 30 on eBay, sorry do not know how to post pictures
JUNKFLYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 20:21   #1925
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNKFLYBOY View Post
there ia an ALBERG 30 on eBay, sorry do not know how to post pictures
Maybe a link then?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:34   #1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Howdy Folks,

I am starting this thread because over the last year I have seen a lot of interest here on the forum for "good cruising boats that cost less than $30,000."

Why start it then?
My sincere hope is that this thread will help someone become a new happy boat owner so they can begin to experience the joys of sailing and cruising. I am starting the thread to help others here on the forum, and this is not driven by my own search for a boat (I have a different goal), it is not limited by my location, nor is it restricted to my own taste in boats or any particular brand or type of boat.

This thread is intended to be an open thread with any member contributing what they see related to the topic. Think of it like it is conversation among members who are presenting some lower priced boats that they have seen on the market, with the hope that it might help another member learn something about those boats.

There are 10 Points or guidelines to make this thread most helpful and to fall within the rules of this forum/site so the thread continues to add value for everyone.

Who do I hope it will help?
There are some forum members (and some are new to sailing) who want to spend less than $30,000 and some members are looking at boats that are even less, with some less than $10,000. While we all recognize that the low priced boats are likely to be old, or in need of repair, there are many people who do want to buy a sailboat for cruising and they have limited budgets that will not allow them to purchase a more expensive or new boat.

Obviously, $10K or $20K or even $30K is not a big budget for buying a big keel boat on which you intend to cruise or live aboard. Any boat at that "asking" price point is likely going to need lots of work or more money spent on upgrading and fixing things.

However, the requests for tips and information about such lower budget boats keep coming up on the forum. For some members the $30K maximum (or less) will be what they can afford. I see nothing wrong with that, and would like to help those members find a boat that can get them sailing.

This thread can be a place where anyone who finds a noteworthy boat that fits that description or price level can post it here as it may help another forum member who is looking for something in that price level.

Since many members keep their eyes open for "deals" (watching Ebay, Craig's List, Yachtworld and many other listing sites and local notices) and they enjoy the boat "hunt" as a pastime, this can be a way of sharing those boats you find, that you don't buy for yourself (you pass on it), but those same boats could be a real deal/find for someone else, when you pass it on. Pay it forward!

You are encouraged to post in this thread. When posting in this thread, please follow these 10 Points or Guidelines for Posting:

1. The boat should be available now. This thread is about what is available today.
The intention of this thread is to post a photo and some info on the currently available boat (or a link if you have one) with the boat priced no higher than $30,000 USD.

Don't post photos of boats that sold years or months ago. Likewise, anecdotes about a boat you bought for little money 10 years ago is not the goal of this thread.

2. Post the location (what country or state). A low cost boat in the wrong location could prove very costly to transport or move.

3. Don't just post a link! Don't just post a name. Post a photo if you can. Do post a link (if you have one) but only with your own notes on what you saw in the boat or why YOU think it is noteworthy in this category (<$30K).

4. Do post something about what you saw in that boat, or why you like it or why it caught your attention. Write a little description of what you like about the boat, or if you know of things that make it noteworthy. If you have prior experience on this type of boat, mention that. If you owned or own a similar boat, mention that.

5. If you know of potential problems this model of boat has, mention what to look for when viewing it. Those could be very simple things like "not much headroom" or "tight head" or "potential leaks on teak deck" or "difficult to access the engine on this model."

6. The important thing here is that YOU as a member add something to the post, more than just a link. From my view, anyone just posting links (and nothing more than that) is possibly spamming boats that are for sale, and I will ask the Moderators to delete those "blind links" so this thread continues to have real value. This is important because one of the forum rules is there to keep sellers of boats from "spamming" the forum with links. Instead, we will focus on discussion of what we see on the market today within this price range.

Why is that important?
7. Let's keep this a "discussion" among members of what we see and like and emphasis should be on sharing what we see and know about boats like these.

8. Don't just post the names of your favorite brands, as there are many threads where that is done. Instead, post a photo, link, and YOUR NOTES on this kind of boat and make sure this is for a boat that is currently for sale. That is the point of this thread.

9. This is not intended to replace or compete with the CF Classifieds forum either. If you have a boat for sale, you should post it there. This is intended to simply bring to light or attention some boats that fit the description (< $30K) and are available on the market now, along with forum member discussion of that kind of boat.

10. If you are actively searching for a boat to buy today, or if you just purchased a boat today (recently), then consider posting some information (as described above) about the top two or three boats you almost bought (your "runner ups"). That may be very helpful to another sailor.

Caveat Emptor! Buyer Beware!
Posting a photo here or information about a boat does NOT constitute an endorsement of that boat or that brand or that seller of the boat. The buyer should still "beware."

The buyer should always ask: In what condition is it?

As with any purchase of any large boat, it is wise to have the boat surveyed by a professional Yacht Surveyor prior to purchase. If you are a newbie and don't have much experience with sailboats, this is especially important.

Good luck hunting!
THERE IS AN ALBERG 30 ON EBAY
Old 09-08-2020, 12:36   #1927

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193617514041 HOPE THIS WORKS
Old 09-08-2020, 14:29   #1928
SuW

Quote:
Yep the link works, thanks!
Have you seen this boat? It's in your area. Or are you selling it?

My generic comments, fwiw:
These are very small boats for a 30-footer. Tall people will find it hard to live on. Very small tanks and storage. This is essentially a day sailer/weekend cruiser.

It does seem to have a lot of wind/solar generation for a boat this size, so the fridge/freezer might be plausible.

Signs of mildew inside. Tired boat. One small elderly CQR.

Much depends on the state of the engine, but it is a Yanmar diesel apparently, which is to the good.

So, new rigging needed, new canvas needed, new sails needed, possibly new interior cushions depending on condition.

I don't think I'd pay $2K for the residual value of the thing. Although the lead ballast (if it is lead) might be worth more than that.

It would be worth it as liveaboard, I suppose.

And nobody should kid themselves about "Canadian craftsmen"...lol.
Old 09-08-2020, 14:41   #1929

Boat: currently between boats
Send a message via Skype™ to TheSandPebbles

If you call that a "daysailer" I highly recommend you watch the excellent film It is well worth the rental price. Yves Gélinas takes his Alberg 30 around the world.

This one is a bit tired, though. On closer look it looks like the stbd side lifeline stanchions are bent inboard too much? I could see taking her for $2000 but I'm on the opposite coast now. It would be a fun project but it is a serious time investment. Great candidate for some dyneema standing rigging.
TheSandPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 15:35   #1930
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandPebbles View Post
If you call that a "daysailer" I highly recommend you watch the excellent film It is well worth the rental price. Yves Gélinas takes his Alberg 30 around the world.

This one is a bit tired, though. On closer look it looks like the stbd side lifeline stanchions are bent inboard too much? I could see taking her for $2000 but I'm on the opposite coast now. It would be a fun project but it is a serious time investment. Great candidate for some dyneema standing rigging.
You beat me to it.

I am about to buy a Cape Horn windvane from Yves.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 16:14   #1931

Boat: currently between boats
Send a message via Skype™ to TheSandPebbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
You beat me to it.

I am about to buy a Cape Horn windvane from Yves.
Nice! I bought one and installed it in 2010, before I even knew who Yves was. Just chose it because of the reviews. I used it to sail from Grenada to Jacksonville, FL and I think it worked pretty well. I had some issues, but only because my boat was not well balanced.
TheSandPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 17:19   #1932
SuW

Well, I'd say that almost every boatyard in Canada has one or two sad Albergs of various sizes rotting away. There were a lot built; the trick is to find one in good condition. Here they vary from free to overpriced.

The "prudent navigator" is probably not going to take that example in Clearwater around the world.

The Alberg 37 is a better bet. It's still a small boat but much more capacity.
Old 09-08-2020, 18:32   #1933

Boat: Volkscruiser

Is'nt it funny how some of these small yachts seem so sweet. I have always admired this little yacht every time I have sailed past her and last week I noticed she is now for sale. He is dreaming on the price, but what a sweet pocket cruiser with an excellent pedigree. I would love to know her history and how she ended up in Queensland Australia?
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bore...cht/1254167992
https://trident24.com/
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 17:04   #1934
SuW

A reasonable-looking 1982 CS 36 in Lake Champlain, NY. $25K USD.
The owner is in Canada (and perhaps cannot drive to the boat as the border is closed).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voilier/long...s36/1455804237

It has a lot of good gear. Could be a worth a look for any US buyers in the region.
Old 11-08-2020, 17:47   #1935

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Well, I beg to differ with the negative comments offered on this one! If it sells for $2000 and that diesel is in decent shape that is REALLY a great deal IMO. Maybe not for sailing around the world, but as an owner of a very similar boat, I can see the owner took care of many important things already, the dodger and bimini are definitely pluses (even if they need fabric), along with the solar AND wind power generation? Come on! A little mold? Even though the rigging has to be replaced, mast stepped and a good used main needs to be purchased, anyone with a modicum of DIY could easily have a great little pocket cruiser there! No keel bolts and a sturdy hull, a beginner could really get a good start on some coastal cruising with that one. Yes it needs batteries and maybe that stuffing box checked out, but still, that one would catch my eye if it were on this coast.
The photo seems to show a windvane, but none is listed, so he may have sold that already.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price