Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 14-01-2020, 08:12   #1771
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnschuehle View Post
I called about this boat a few months ago. I would not necessarily say I am in the market currently for a boat but if something comes up that is to good to pass up I would pull the trigger. I am very new to sailing, consider my self relativity handy and would be open to finding something that is a slight project. The guy I talked to on the phone said the boat ran a ground and the keel had been damaged. I assume this is a boat to run away from fast?

Let’s start with it is a Tartan. So if she was damaged in a grounding, it had to be a hard one. Suggest you get some photos of the damage, a quote to repair it by a pro and then add 50%. Keep in mind if the damage is significant - getting insurance after a DIY repair may be a challenge
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 08:49   #1772
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

There are so many great deals out there, sounds like a "run away",

unless it's **exactly** what you're looking for and an obviously incredible bargain otherwise
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 17:50   #1773

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I never understand why folks design/build/buy boats that can not sustain a substantial grounding without damage.

Not all groundings are equal.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 16:34   #1774

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
1980 Union Polaris 36' Cutter

Beautiful little boat. It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the price has come way down to $15,500.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...utter-2714227/
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 17:12   #1775

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1978...utter-3604225/

$34.9k, but... looks very nice with a lot of recently done work.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 19:55   #1776
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

> the price has come way down to $15,500.

sold
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 18:56   #1777

Depending on how much work is needed, a really nice deal on a Bruce Roberts. It looks like the hull needs maintenance, but it doesn't give much in the way of details. Outside of the US for approx $11,094USD.

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats...0252677&page=1
Old 20-01-2020, 06:59   #1778
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
Depending on how much work is needed, a really nice deal on a Bruce Roberts. It looks like the hull needs maintenance, but it doesn't give much in the way of details. Outside of the US for approx $11,094USD.

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats...0252677&page=1
Those look like teak decks, a terrible idea on a steel boat, imo.

"Hull maintenance" can mean anything. At the worst case, you have to rip out some of that nice interior so you can weld for repairs.

But it has some nice gear.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 11:27   #1779

My wife and I are in the market for a Formosa 51 project, interested in the 1980 and newer. We just love the aft cabin windows in the transom. We are also very interested in the CT-54's but they are mostly out of our price range.
ColdWaterBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 11:18   #1780
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

A 1978 Nonsuch 30 in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia. $35K Canadian (~$27K US).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/new-glasgow-ns/nonsuch-30-classic-for-sale-price-just-dropped/1374636502

These boats sell well, they don't come up that often. If the boat is in good shape, this is a good price.
They are well made, have a huge interior space, and are simple to sail.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 16:07   #1781

Boat: Passport 40

A Pacific Seacraft 34 for 25k. Not bad. Of course, caveat emptor, who knows the specifics. But anyone near Virginia, should drive and take a look at it.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/84410
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 23:03   #1782

Would like to hear your input on this one. Right in the area where I wanted to sail. Main concern are those carbon masts.

https://www.yachtbroker-charters.com...Cat-Ketch.html

1988 Rehnert Cat Ketch

USD 15,000

This interesting aluminium yacht was built along the lines of the Garry Hoyt 'Freedom 40'. George Rehnert had owned a Freedom 40 then subsequently designed his own alloy yacht which was built using the most suitable aluminium by professional alloy boat builders in Bremen, Germany. The design was centred around single handed sailing and the cat ketch rig was no small part of that thinking. The rig is very easy to use, tacking and gybing drama free. The sailplan spreads the sails along the length of the boat on the masts. The low centre of effort afforded by the fore and aft, rather than upward, spread of sail, produces less heeling force. All round a very pleasing yacht to sail.

The boat was spray foam insulated from new and still has her original paintwork. The engine chosen was a two cylinder Sabb 2JHR which has been used extensively around the world by life boats and fishing boats.

Inspection by appointment with YBC.
Location Langkawi
Designer George Rehnert
Displacement 10.5 tons
Engine Sabb 2JHR 30hp
Hull Aluminium ALMg4,5Mn
Deck Aluminium ALMg4,5Mn
Steering Wheel, cable
Length 11.15m
Beam 3.50m
Draft 1.20 / 2.70
Year Launched 1988
Registered Langkawi
Builder Deters Germany
Keel Lifting centreboard
Ballast lead ingots
Windvane Windpilot Pacific Plus
Fuel 550 litres (2 integral tanks)
Water 600 litres (2 integral tanks)
Engine hours 8000 +
Speed under power 6kts
Propeller 3 blade fixed 'Gori'
Accommodation:
The layout is open plan. Full forward is a double bunk cabin with workshop including bench, vice and many tools. The main saloon has good seating, and dining with the large overhead butterfly type hatch providing much extra light and ventilation. Moving aft, the standing nav. station has a full size chart table with deep drawers and a locker. The last berth is aft of the nav. station and this extends to make a double and is conveniently close to the cockpit.

The fitout is in excellent condition with joinery from Meranti, Mahogany and good quality Rattan.

Galley:
The layout is open plan. Full forward is a double bunk cabin with workshop including bench, vice and many tools. The main saloon has good seating, and dining with the large overhead butterfly type hatch providing much extra light and ventilation. Moving aft, the standing nav. station has a full size chart table with deep drawers and a locker. The last berth is aft of the nav. station and this extends to make a double and is conveniently close to the cockpit.

The fitout is in excellent condition with joinery from Meranti, Mahogany and good quality Rattan.

Showers:
One in bathroom. Cold pressurised water.

Toilet:
One manual Jabsco. Holding tank.

Electrics & Batteries:
12 VDC electrical system alone. DC charging from one 'Siemens' 100watt solar panel, 'Windbugger' wind generator and engine 'Valec' alternator. Two batteries, 100amp each.

Electronics & Navigation:
Linear drive autopilot needs replacing
Navico RT6500S VHF radio
600watt inverter

Mast/ Rigging:
The 14m carbon fibre masts were purchased from 'Freedom Yachts' with the owner's own designed rotating mast bases. The wishbone boom arrangement further improves the ease of handling. Main mast has a tricolour and mizzen has a radar reflector and VHF and HF antennae.

Deck Gear:
2 x Murray MW4 mast winches
1 x Lewmar #43 winch
Swim platform
Stainless stern arch for solar panels and dinghy davits
PVC rubbing strake

Sail Inventory:
Mainsail (2000 Rolly Tasker)
Spinnaker (1988)

Safety Gear:
3 life jackets
2 harnesses
life ring
2 fire extinguishers
Yamaha YP10G 2 stroke water pump

Ground Tackle:
No windlass
2 x 80m of 10mm chain
1 x 40m of 10mm chain
120m 20mm nylon rode
45lb CQR
30lb CQR
35lb Delta
20lb Danforth

Extras/Spares:
Large amount of hand tools, power tools, spares and equipment,. the workshop comes complete with many items. Fishing rods and kit. All boat manuals, pilot guides and many charts.

Dinghy:
2 metre rigid tender

Outboard:
Mercury 3hp

Disail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 00:11   #1783

39.37' Ferretti Altura 42

This looks like a decent deal. Boat doesn't seem to be in terrible shape for $8,732.

Old 13-02-2020, 03:26   #1784

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Not trying to start a thread diversion but a damaged 30+ ft catamaran recently sold for a totally stupid price at the mid-Atlantic marina where I am at. I saw the sellers' Craigslist advertisement and it had some photos which did show that it needed major work after some type of capsize & sinking or storm damage. There is no mast, the top of the cabin needs fiberglass work, and there was a shot of the interior which alluded to water damage. The price was $18,000 and nobody expected it to sell.

A buyer bought it sight unseen from another State and everybody who is actually familiar with the boat are shaking our heads. While the photos did convey large damage, they and the text selectively left out the extent. The de-masting absolutely crushed the cabin and ripped off the upper aft portion, both hulls had large holes and the rough repairs are questionable, it sat for at least a year (probably much longer) missing windows, the interior was gutted, the engine had been underwater, and there is currently a hole where the outdrive had been. It is essentially a bare hull without working winches, rigging, etc.

We don't know what price the buyer paid but the boat is well beyond salvage and should be scrapped. Even so, the buyer with the rosy glasses has said that he wants to do what needs to be done to SAIL the boat hundreds of miles to get it home. Our collective guess is that ultimately the buyer will realize what he has and give up, as has happened with other boats that have less damage.

Bottom line is simply to repeat a word of warning about buying a "pig in a poke" without personally seeing it or having an estimate (even if not an actual survey) written down and calculated for what it will take in both time and money to get a boat back into operation.
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 04:09   #1785

I once bought a hurricane damaged boat that had partially submerged. I saw 4 pictures of it online. I bought it. I was told the engine would run. So I drove from Seattle to Florida with an empty trailer. They loaded the 28ft boat and I drove it back home. I was able to get the engine to sputter once. But it had sand in the oil pan. Moral of the story, I would never buy a boat sight unseen again. 5 years later and the boat was working great. I had to repair everything. Now we are looking for 51+ foot ketch sailboat project to buy. But this time we are going to the boats to view them first before paying for it. I'm a boat but I cant help it.
ColdWaterBlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price