Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 13-02-2019, 19:27   #1501

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Hey Checkwrecks,

Much appreciated!!

Cheers
Rhys1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 14:46   #1502
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

This is a nice boat for about $28K USD.
1981 C&C 34. Only drawback, imo, is the Atomic 4 gas engine.
Owner has had it over 20 years, obviously well-looked after.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/cit...ion/1415557932
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 17:22   #1503

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
This is a nice boat for about $28K USD.
1981 C&C 34. Only drawback, imo, is the Atomic 4 gas engine.
Owner has had it over 20 years, obviously well-looked after.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/cit...ion/1415557932
This one caught my eye as well, as its fairly local to me, and I'm a fan of C&C boats (I've owned 3...so far).

From the ad its a beautiful boat with many well done upgrades. I'm sure the boat would be a pleasure to sail, and very fast!

HOWEVER...

- No mention of the draft...I believe there were 3 keel options including a shoal draft centerboard with 4 foot draft (swing keel up).

- Although the Atomic 4 is a fine engine, its not a diesel. Long range cruising would be a problem. I doubt the fuel tank is large enough for me to motor home from Toronto to Kingston. Of course I would sail, but motoring for the sake of argument. I've owned 2 boats with A4 engines, and visited many marinas just to fill up the tank. This IS a big deal. I had a 1972 C&C27 with the A4. I would have to fill up or at least top up after every weekend away. I later bought a 1982 C&C27 with a yanmar 2GMF. Topped up the tank ONCE PER SEASON, just before haulout.

- The C&C34 I believe is a cored hull. This makes for great performance, but potentially structural issues if the core is wet. Seeing as its almost 40 years old, this should be a major concern for any buyer.

All C&C boats over 32 feet have a cored hull. Some under 32 are also cored. My 1982 C&C27 was cored above the waterline. A friend had a mid 70's C&C29mk1 which surprisingly had a cored section below the waterline...that he had to repair at great expense and effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AQ6.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	186002  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 19:40   #1504

Any comments on these two boats would be greatly appreciated.

30' Hinterhoeller Nonsuch Ultra

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/77911

1984 Nonsuch 30 Ultra Shoal Draft. Located in Newport News, VA. All standard Ultra features plus Heat Pump (heat & A/C), fridge, Electric halyard winch, Auto-pilot, wind, speed, depth meters, VHF, TV/DVD, CD/Stereo, Davits, battery charger, dodger & bimini, propane BBQ and much more. Great cruiser/live-aboard several trips down ICW to Fla Keys, Gulf of Mexico and Bahamas. Good condition. Westerbeke 27 w/ 3000 hrs. $25,000 OBO.

30' Southern Cross 28 - $16500

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/77782

Description:
Beautiful compact bluewater cruiser, very well known builder and trusted. A much sought after design for its sea worthy traits and functionality.

Condition and History:
In excellent condition for its age and nicely equipped. Meticulously taken care of by single owner, who owned her from new. The inside was finished by the factory (some models were owner completed). Had a brand new Universal engine put in a few years ago, with only 233 hours on it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Rhys1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 15:49   #1505
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
This one caught my eye as well...
HOWEVER...
- No mention of the draft...I believe there were 3 keel options including a shoal draft centerboard with 4 foot draft (swing keel up).
Yep, an elderly centreboard arrangement is likely to be problematic. I've seen too many poor boaters hammering away at them to want one!

Quote:
- Although the Atomic 4 is a fine engine, its not a diesel. Long range cruising would be a problem... I later bought a 1982 C&C27 with a yanmar 2GMF. Topped up the tank ONCE PER SEASON, just before haulout.
Yep, we have a 3GM in the Bayfield and we use 1.3 litres per hour (1/3 U.S gal approx). And we only motor about 30 hours a season.

Quote:
- The C&C34 I believe is a cored hull. This makes for great performance, but potentially structural issues if the core is wet. Seeing as its almost 40 years old, this should be a major concern for any buyer... A friend had a mid 70's C&C29mk1 which surprisingly had a cored section below the waterline...that he had to repair at great expense and effort.
Very good point, potentially an issue with any boat of this age.

Of course, if you're in the area and looking for a serious cruiser, this boat is for sale. It's in the marina we use for the winter (IMS at Iroquois) and is a truly lovely boat. Bit out of the price range of this thread though.
Old 16-02-2019, 16:00   #1506
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys1968 View Post
Any comments on these two boats would be greatly appreciated.
30' Hinterhoeller Nonsuch Ultra...
This is a very good price for a nice boat. These things have huge interiors!
Great liveaboards, good coastal cruiser, I'd say. Not a world cruiser.

The engine hours are high, but the interior looks nice. If you're seriously interested, get a survey.

Don't know about the Southern Cross, sorry.
Old 16-02-2019, 16:08   #1507

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

OK well someone has to post it!
Bounty II that looks to be in good shape. The only major issue I had with the Bounty compared to the Pearson Rhodes 41 was the engine location. Still.... my wife will be very glad if someone else hurries up and buys her! Price is $19K down from $29K they say. Near Olympia it seems...
https://moreboats.com/boats/rhodes/bounty-ii/217630
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 17:59   #1508

Quote:
Of course, if you're in the area and looking for a serious cruiser, this boat is for sale. It's in the marina we use for the winter (IMS at Iroquois) and is a truly lovely boat. Bit out of the price range of this thread though.
Hey...I live in that area...and I'm looking for a boat...thanks for posting!!! The video looks great, beautiful boat...but there is not much info in the ad...like draft or price. At least it'll be in canadian dollars (I hope).

EDIT: Okay, I cut and pasted the link from the ad and found the excellent web page with all details and pics. Studying now.

http://aluminumherreshoffnereia.weebly.com/specs.html
Old 16-02-2019, 19:17   #1509
SuW

Quote:
Hey...I live in that area...and I'm looking for a boat...thanks for posting!!! The video looks great, beautiful boat...
I think it has been for sale for at least a year, perhaps longer. I don't remember what they were asking, but I do remember it was shockingly high (to me) at the time!

I think it's in great condition with very good gear, no expense spared etc. Much professional work done, fwiw.

This kind of boat really hasn't got much of a market in this area. If I were them I'd take it to Annapolis, MD.
Old 16-02-2019, 20:16   #1510

Quote:
I think it has been for sale for at least a year, perhaps longer. I don't remember what they were asking, but I do remember it was shockingly high (to me) at the time!

I think it's in great condition with very good gear, no expense spared etc. Much professional work done, fwiw.

This kind of boat really hasn't got much of a market in this area. If I were them I'd take it to Annapolis, MD.
There are still lots of people...perhaps most people...who assume the value of their boat equals the price they paid plus the money they put into it. It is always a shock to find out differently.

If its been for sale for a year, perhaps the price is negotiable. Unfortunately, many boats sit for several years before the owners grudgingly accept reality. I have bought several of these boats. My advice to all sellers....price it low, sell it fast, sell to someone you like.

I'm thinking of heading to the Caribbean, via Bermuda. Me thinks it would be quite a good boat for that.
Old 17-02-2019, 04:20   #1511
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It’s aluminum, I would expect a high price.

We looked at an aluminum version of our big boat in Halifax, slightly shortened. The price was right. But the layout was, well, not for us. We spent a few hours looking at it and decided necessary modifications made it untenable. ThAts why the price was low, wacky layout.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 06:02   #1512

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I love this thread. Though not in the market for a sub $30k boat, it’s my favorite thread. I’ve fallen in love with several boats discussed here, classic beauties in need of a loving owner.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 08:13   #1513
SuW

Quote:
There are still lots of people...perhaps most people...who assume the value of their boat equals the price they paid plus the money they put into it. It is always a shock to find out differently.

If its been for sale for a year, perhaps the price is negotiable. Unfortunately, many boats sit for several years before the owners grudgingly accept reality. I have bought several of these boats. My advice to all sellers....price it low, sell it fast, sell to someone you like.

I'm thinking of heading to the Caribbean, via Bermuda. Me thinks it would be quite a good boat for that.
I absolutely agree with this. A number of times I have met people who have long lists of every cent they have spent on their boat. It's obsessive, you've had your fun, the money's long gone, move on...

As I said in another thread, there are some shameful sights in the boatyard we keep our boat. Placeholders for dreams left to rot, fully paid up, for decades.

Homo economicus it isn't!

Perhaps give the owner of All Talk a call; the boat is worth seeing, imo, and they seem to be nice folk.

Viewing might have to wait a bit...we had to use cleats and snow shoes to get at our boat this week!
Old 17-02-2019, 16:58   #1514

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

I think I may have found the boat of my dreams!

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/77515
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 17:35   #1515

Wow! That alloy Herreshoff looks to be a spectacular boat. I'm looking for my next boat so keep it coming. Thanks.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price