Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2020, 15:15   #1

Boats Gotta Go, how do I get rid of it?

So I've got a 70s area 27ft Coranado that is in a slip in the LA area. I'm airline crew and had used it as a place to sleep while I was based there and also sailed it some. But I live out of state.

Well, I've not been based there for some time and have been dealing with multiple health and life issues. Now with the Pandemic there is even less chance of me getting down there any time soon to sell it. I'm happy to give is away, I've already contacted a couple donating agencies, but had an issue needing recent photos for one and the other has not gotten back to it. I'd gladly mail the title and key to someone but I need that slip fee out of my budget ASAP.

What are my options? Are there boat salvage people who would take it off my hands? It's not in condition condition, has had some problems, has collected some rain water on the floor, delimitation on one of the benches in the cockpit and so on, but the motor works (last I checked) and it sails. But it's got to go immediately.

Advise needed please!
DougTheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 15:17   #2

Re: Boats Gotta Go, how do I get rid of it?

craigslist
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 16:03   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Charity - Cars for Kids or similar? They generally take care of all the paperwork and the vehicle or boat “disappears”. The donation amount is not generally very big, but if you’re trying to just get it done, it can be pretty quick.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 16:08   #4

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

ditto the above, 'boat angel' comes to mind...
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 21:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Charity - Cars for Kids or similar? They generally take care of all the paperwork and the vehicle or boat “disappears”. The donation amount is not generally very big, but if you’re trying to just get it done, it can be pretty quick.

Nothing wrong with donating to charity - all of our cars end up being donated. But I'd avoid "Kars4Kids"

https://www.charitywatch.org/charity...s-real-purpose
slap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 22:21   #6

Try Craigslist or even putting it on EBay. I had a Sabre 30 that I needed to get rid of when I bought my new boat. It was October in New England and I got rid of the boat in 2 weeks.

Your going to have to hustle a bit but someone is always looking for a cheap way to get into boating (until the learn about the carrying costs).

The key to it was being realistic and not caring how much I got for the boat.
SurlySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 22:57   #7

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Sea Scouts used to have a donation program in MDR.

Do you have access to pics, will be hard to do much without them.

Cheers!
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 00:55   #8

Do you have to remove it or can you just give it to someone. And they take over the ownership, pay for the slip fees, fix it up, etc.
BAReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 03:17   #9

I just reread your post and you do say you could just give it away. We may be interested. Can you tell what marina it’s currently in and how much those monthly fees are and how long that’s good for, providing we check out of course. And any photos? Thanks so much.
BAReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 08:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougTheAviator View Post
So I've got a 70s area 27ft Coranado that is in a slip in the LA area. I'm airline crew and had used it as a place to sleep while I was based there and also sailed it some. But I live out of state.

Well, I've not been based there for some time and have been dealing with multiple health and life issues. Now with the Pandemic there is even less chance of me getting down there any time soon to sell it. I'm happy to give is away, I've already contacted a couple donating agencies, but had an issue needing recent photos for one and the other has not gotten back to it. I'd gladly mail the title and key to someone but I need that slip fee out of my budget ASAP.

What are my options? Are there boat salvage people who would take it off my hands? It's not in condition condition, has had some problems, has collected some rain water on the floor, delimitation on one of the benches in the cockpit and so on, but the motor works (last I checked) and it sails. But it's got to go immediately.

Advise needed please!
I would it on Facebook Market Place and Craigslist there where the boat is located
Say in good shape to a good home for free and it will be gone over the weekend
zjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 08:54   #11

Sea Scouts and BSA and there are 5 sea scout ships in the area.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 08:58   #12

Boat: Pearson 34

Notify the marina. They may take it and cancel future slip fees.
RSB33
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 09:16   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougTheAviator View Post

Advise needed please!
Depending on your financial situation, donating to a non profit for a tax write off or hell just get them to take it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 09:43   #14

Boat: Catalina 320

The Log newspaper used to be a good place to advertise such vessels in the local area, but these days maybe Craiglist or facebook.
https://thelogclassifieds.com/
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 10:46   #15

Hello, all:

This may be my first post here - or at least my first post in ages. I am not a big social media contributor.

I am jumping in because I have direct experience with getting rid of a sailboat.

Once we decided it was time to stop sailing, I looked at all the options. I had a 1984 Sloop that needed a bit of work - mostly superficial / cosmetic (although the main was original.) I did not want to go through the hassle of selling (paying for storage and / or slip fees while I waited to find a buyer. Scraping a boat is very expensive - so I learned. I decided to try the charity route. I contacted 4 charities. Two did not take boats. Of the two that did, one was not interested in a sail boat that was as old as mine. The one that was interested wanted me to send pictures of the boat: exterior, interior and engine compartment. They also sent someone to look at the boat. After about 2 weeks, they informed me that they did not think they would be able to make enough profit on the donation and would not be accepting my donation. Apparently, at least for boats, they take them with the hopes of turning around and selling them (unlike autos, they have very little scrap value given the cost of disposing of the fiberglass.)

I was about to list the boat on Craig's List for an obscene amount - $100. Fortunately, a friend of a friend heard I wanted to get rid of the boat and was eager for a project (I know, people are insane.) I ended up selling it for $100 to the friend of a friend - we weren't sure if a $0 sale might trigger some sort of donation / tax issue.

I hope this info helps: charity process for boats takes longer than you would anticipate and is not a guarantee (especially with boats that need significant work.) Word of mouth and Craig's may be your best bet.
Chivalrousjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat